Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by idmtman View Post
When hooked up to shore power, we keep the thermostat at 62 or 63 degrees and run a 1500 watt electric heater. We've been comfortable in the mid-20's. We do have a second electric heater we periodically use but not when we are sleeping. If no shore power, we don't use the furnace until morning.
I guess in those cases with no shore power, you don't have water in the lines and the grey and black tanks are empty?
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Jammer -

Do you recall which model pic-a-watt heater you went with? Does it seem to circulate enough heat to both the front and rear of your trailer? Your trailer is newer though, and probably much better sealed than my 1979, so one at the front and rear may be better in my case.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I have the 1500 watt, 120 volt pic-a-watt. I used to use it together with a tabletop heater in the bedroom which I had set on 750 watts. The combination was enough to keep the trailer heated, fairly evenly, down to overnight lows of around 50 degrees. With the pic-a-watt alone the bedroom doesn't get enough heat and it's maybe only really good down to 60 degrees or so, maybe a little lower.

Maybe my trailer is a little better sealed than the older ones but then again it's a wide body which makes for a little more heat loss, and it has more window area than the older rigs.

The main reason I was pursing electric heat was that the furnace was so loud and didn't heat the bedroom. Last winter I modified the ductwork and added some soundproofing and am much more satisfied with the performance of the furnace. The trailer heats evenly on propane now and the noise isn't so much a problem. So I find I don't run the electric heat as much as I used to, though I still run it when we have shore power and it isn't going to get very cold, to save on propane.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
On newer trailers you have a heat pump, right? Don't you guys like using yours?
I use it until the temps drop below the mid 40's then switch to the furnace.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Is the heat pump part of the AC unit? Isn't the blower loud?

I can heat the cabin of the Argosy with the two electric heaters to a comfortable temp in the cabin even with the outside temp down to 20F. I can so run the furnace blower without lighting the burner. The furnace blower pulls the warm air from within the cabin and pushes it thru the duct work. However the cabin air is no where near the temp of the air that would be produced by the burner being lot. I doubt that it would help much on the really cold nights.
If it is 60 in the cabin we don't use any heat when sleeping. We keep the thermostat set in our stick house at 62F and always have at least 2 windows slightly open. We don't use electric blankets or pads in our home, but my wife will use one in the trailer because of sleeping next to the outside wall. We have twin beds. It's not ideal (twin beds) but it's what we have.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Somewhat loud, but I'm hard of hearing in one ear, so it's only half as loud as it could be.
It warms up the trailer nicely when it's cool outside. It only runs when it needs to, to keep the temperature constant inside, but does nothing for the heating of the tanks. That's why I use the furnace when the outside temps take a dive.
As mentioned in an earlier post a heating pad under the sheets is a big plus to stay warm when sleeping. I like the 12v ones so I can use it when stopping at a rest area for a few winks along the way.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #27
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
On newer trailers you have a heat pump, right? Don't you guys like using yours?
I use it until the temps drop below the mid 40's then switch to the furnace.
I rarely use the heat pump. It's loud.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I like the idea of those 12v heating pads, and catching a wink along the way.

Will the use of 12v while plugged into the tow vehicle drain the tow vehicle battery, with obvious complications when getting ready to leave?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #29
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Yes, unless you disconnect the umbilical.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I never had a problem for a short cat nap. But another way to do it is to turn on the 12v heater pads an hour prior to the final stop. That way the blankets and mattresses are all warm when you get there. If staying for a longer time and using more 12v items I just disconnect the TV cable from the trailer to isolate the two sets of batteries.

I don't remember what the mattress pad heater(s) draw.

Jammer, I was still typing when you answered the question. Didn't mean to repeat.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In most modern TV's you won't drain the battery with the U cord plugged in if the TV's ignition is off. They have a relay that shuts off the charge line if the key is off.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie
In most modern TV's you won't drain the battery with the U cord plugged in if the TV's ignition is off. They have a relay that shuts off the charge line if the key is off.
Some time back, some TV manufacturers used a diode block to isolate the trailer charge line from the starting battery. Most use a relay these days. There is the remote possibility that the relay could fail or a particular TV was wired without one. To be 100% sure, unplugging the umbilical is always an option. To check if the relay is functioning, connect a 12V test light or a voltmeter to the charge line pin in the TV 7-way socket and observe while your helper switches the ignition on and off.