Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

San Diego , California
Suburban NT24SP Gremlins

After 5 years of my Suburban NT24SP furnace working great it decided not to fire up this season. Having a problem with the burner lighting. Have a pretty full propane cylinder and the other gas appliances work. Plugged into shore power. Blower comes on with thermostat. It sounds like the gas valve opens and I can see a spark but no flame. I checked the electrode position and it seemed to be in spec. I thought the issue was a wasp nest in the intake but after cleaning that out of the combustion air chamber it still wasn't working. If I cover the exhaust vent I can get the burner to light but not stay lit and eventually go into lockout. It would seem based on that there is either not enough air or gas to light properly unless the exhaust is blocked and those two things can build up more. Maybe when it does light it is too weak a flame for the electrode to sense. With no more wasp nest there should be plenty of air and having shore power I wouldn't think voltage would be an issue as the motor must be producing enough airflow to operate sail switch. On the gas side all I could figure is maybe the gas orifice or burner is partially blocked. I've had the burner out which is a bit rusty but the ports dont look clogged. Not sure how to access the orifice and remove the line it is attached to. Perhaps there is some other culprit I'm missing. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated, thanks.
mpumphrey04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You should check the gas valve on the furnace, and make sure it is opening properly.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Try this. If you have a gas oven. Light all the burners on the stove and then see if your oven will light with all the burners lit. If the oven wont light, turn off all the burners, and try to light the oven by itself. If it lights, leave it running and light each burner one by one. If the oven goes out when youve lit a couple burners, then you very well may need a gas regulator at your lpg tank. Your furnace may be starved for gas.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote