Old 12-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #1

suburban NT24SP furnace problem repair or replace

thanks for all the terrific postings all these years. i have never had the need for posting a question, knock on wood, but i currently have a situation concerning my furnace that i thought i would ask for some suggestions about.

first the players:

76 23 ft safari

suburban nt24sp that i believe is original equipment and that was working perfectly until a situation occurred 2 days ago.

2nd, the scenario as it happened:

during the course of a usual evening here in the tin can, there was a short pop followed by a ssssssssssssssssssss sound coming from the galley. i immediately knew i had a water leak and ran out and turned of the water. when i came back in, the furnace was running although the thermostat was set to a very low setting and should not have come on with the interior temperature being quite warm and cozy. at the time we were using the heat strip in the rooftop ac unit. i moved the thermostat to off and waited for the furnace to turn off but it did not and would not stop running. i waited a good 5 to 7 minutes.

i determined the location of the leak to be behind the sink and there was a fairly large amount of water that had sprayed all over the area. i am sure that some of the water got into the furnace as it is located directly below the location of the leak.

since the furnace would not stop running, i had no choice but to disconnect the power supply to furnace and left it disconnect pending repair of the leak.

next day, i repaired the leak successfully and reconnected the power to the furnace, moved the thermostat to on and high enough for the connection to close. the furnace came on but would not put out any heat.

i opened the front panel and there were no flames from the burners. i moved the thermostat back to off and the furnace ran its usual minute or 2 and turned off, but then began sort of clicking like it was trying to start again. so i again disconnected the power and waited 10 minutes.

i reconnected the power and tried again, this time with the door off. the furnace blower came on as it usually does for a minute or 2, then there was the usual click, and the burners lit for about 15 seconds and went out. the furnace attempted to relit 2 more times, again lighting for short time and then going back out. i assume that it then went into lockout mode after that. i again turned the thermostat to off and after a few minutes, the fan motor stopped but there was that same thing where it seemed like it was trying to start again. after again cutting off the power source and after waiting 15 minutes for the unit to hopefully reset, i tried the same sequence 2 more times, but the burners again would remain lit with or without the front panel on.

does any one have any ideas what would be the source of this? being as the furnace maybe 32 years old, i am reluctant to spend the sometimes large sums that things like circuit boards, thermocouples, and such can cost. the circuit board is if the era that still transistors and such and i have a sneaking suspicion that one of the circuits was shorted out by the water from the leak.

replacing the entire unit is not out of the question and i can rationalize that sort of purchase, but wondered if anyone had any ideas if this could be a simple repair or whether i should just replace it?

thanks in advance for any input and suggestions the forum can provide.

modnodd

Old 12-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by modnodd View Post
thanks for all the terrific postings all these years. i have never had the need for posting a question, knock on wood, but i currently have a situation concerning my furnace that i thought i would ask for some suggestions about.

first the players:

76 23 ft safari

suburban nt24sp that i believe is original equipment and that was working perfectly until a situation occurred 2 days ago.

2nd, the scenario as it happened:

during the course of a usual evening here in the tin can, there was a short pop followed by a ssssssssssssssssssss sound coming from the galley. i immediately knew i had a water leak and ran out and turned of the water. when i came back in, the furnace was running although the thermostat was set to a very low setting and should not have come on with the interior temperature being quite warm and cozy. at the time we were using the heat strip in the rooftop ac unit. i moved the thermostat to off and waited for the furnace to turn off but it did not and would not stop running. i waited a good 5 to 7 minutes.

i determined the location of the leak to be behind the sink and there was a fairly large amount of water that had sprayed all over the area. i am sure that some of the water got into the furnace as it is located directly below the location of the leak.

since the furnace would not stop running, i had no choice but to disconnect the power supply to furnace and left it disconnect pending repair of the leak.

next day, i repaired the leak successfully and reconnected the power to the furnace, moved the thermostat to on and high enough for the connection to close. the furnace came on but would not put out any heat.

i opened the front panel and there were no flames from the burners. i moved the thermostat back to off and the furnace ran its usual minute or 2 and turned off, but then began sort of clicking like it was trying to start again. so i again disconnected the power and waited 10 minutes.

i reconnected the power and tried again, this time with the door off. the furnace blower came on as it usually does for a minute or 2, then there was the usual click, and the burners lit for about 15 seconds and went out. the furnace attempted to relit 2 more times, again lighting for short time and then going back out. i assume that it then went into lockout mode after that. i again turned the thermostat to off and after a few minutes, the fan motor stopped but there was that same thing where it seemed like it was trying to start again. after again cutting off the power source and after waiting 15 minutes for the unit to hopefully reset, i tried the same sequence 2 more times, but the burners again would remain lit with or without the front panel on.

does any one have any ideas what would be the source of this? being as the furnace maybe 32 years old, i am reluctant to spend the sometimes large sums that things like circuit boards, thermocouples, and such can cost. the circuit board is if the era that still transistors and such and i have a sneaking suspicion that one of the circuits was shorted out by the water from the leak.

replacing the entire unit is not out of the question and i can rationalize that sort of purchase, but wondered if anyone had any ideas if this could be a simple repair or whether i should just replace it?

thanks in advance for any input and suggestions the forum can provide.

modnodd
Remove the furnace, since it needs to be cleaned anyway.

Dissassemble it on a bench and the answer should pop out at you.

Be prepared to replace some of the gaskets.

Furnaces should be removed and overhauled, every 5 to 6 years, for safe and secure operation.

Andy

Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
In response to Andy's post. Andy this might be one of the recalled heaters with the rubber outside vent gaskets.
Modnodd you should check the furnace to see if it was in the recall for the gasket. I'm not sure if there is a fix short of replacement for his problem.
Andy thoughts?