Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
  1. The gasses could leak, in an extreme example. Witness the problem they had with the xover gasket on the old ones.
  2. The noise! I am fairly sure that it would wake up the sleeper above it every time it came on.

Our new one in our 31-footer is at least 8 feet away (in a cabinet under the stovetop, next to the sink) and sometimes wakes me up when it comes on.
In a space as small as an Airstream, the gases, in a leak situation, would not matter if they were under the bed or a few feet away. They would be mixed with the heating air from the fan and fully cover all of the trailer, not just the space above the bed. They are dangerous, no matter where the furnace is in the rig.

Noise is a very subjective area. Mine, in the Argosy, is a newer replacement, and is much louder than the original one. But, once my brain gets used to it, I never hear it. The sleeping brain simply says "oh that again" and seems to shut it off as an issue. If you let it bother you, however, it will.

BTW, water heaters are in the same situation, under the beds. And they often makes some noise when they run.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off