Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #29
x

XXXX , XXXX
GGAL the circuit breakers for the 110VAC shore power in the trailer will be in their own panel box. They will be located relatively close to where the shore power cord enters the trailer usually in a closet or under a bed.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
North Dartmouth , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGAL View Post
I don't think I hear humming? I'll go out and check.....will check the outlet too. I know that the power/extension cord is getting electricity because it is lit up and the circuit breakers are fine at the power source. I'm going to check out the other things now. I assume that the breakers are on the converter. I think it's relatively new...but I'm not sure. I'll be back!
ok, so no humming plugged in. Hair dryer works in all 3 outlets I tested. Flipped all breakers checked fuses, and they seem to be ok. fuse box is LC30 120 VAC/12VDC load center. Converter is DLS-55 IOTA. Lights a little brighter for a few minutes (will this save my battery or do I need to take out and charge on battery charger this evening?).

Does this mean I need a new converter?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
GGAL the circuit breakers for the 110VAC shore power in the trailer will be in their own panel box. They will be located relatively close to where the shore power cord enters the trailer usually in a closet or under a bed.
Seems to be under the goucho, mid front, behind fridge....is there another?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #32
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Jeez, I sure would hope not! Talk about inconvenient!

Look around in the back in the lockers above the beds, or under the beds, or down in the dark part of the closets.

AS always likes to hide those things...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Jeez, I sure would hope not! Talk about inconvenient!

Look around in the back in the lockers above the beds, or under the beds, or down in the dark part of the closets.

AS always likes to hide those things...
I did find the converter under the bed, and the fuse box is mounted in the first storage cupboard under same bed. I can see the converter by removing the cushion on the gaucho. There is an access panel from outside the trailer, but I didn't open it because I figured it wouldn't be very helpful, since I don't know the first thing about converters! Ahhh, my dream AS! I better get more informed real quick I guess. This forum is super helpful to a newbie like me.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Quote:
I did find the converter under the bed, and the fuse box is mounted in the first storage cupboard under same bed. I can see the converter by removing the cushion on the gaucho. There is an access panel from outside the trailer, but I didn't open it because I figured it wouldn't be very helpful, since I don't know the first thing about converters! Ahhh, my dream AS! I better get more informed real quick I guess. This forum is super helpful to a newbie like me.
Would there be more than one?
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #35
x

XXXX , XXXX
GGAL the fuse panel you found is for the 12VDC I think. I just found this pic of a 69 110VAC circuit breaker panel. Does it look like the one you found. It seems to be in a closet in the bathroom.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Quote:
Ok, I'll have to look again!
Old 12-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Quote:
GGAL the fuse panel you found is for the 12VDC I think. I just found this pic of a 69 110VAC circuit breaker panel. Does it look like the one you found. It seems to be in a closet in the bathroom.
Does not look like that. Not as industrial looking. It was an LC 30 120 VAC/12VDC which is what you suspected. I will look again! Thank you. I'll look everywhere.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Quote:
Does not look like that. Not as industrial looking. It was an LC 30 120 VAC/12VDC which is what you suspected. I will look again! Thank you. I'll look everywhere.
I looked in every hatch (inside and out), cupboard, closet under couches, behind toilet, EVERYWHERE I could think of. and I can't see this 110V box anywhere. Is there a chance that the person who rewired it (who?) didn't put one in? I see a lot of junction boxes (say two or three) in every hatch. Any other ideas?
Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #39
x

XXXX , XXXX
OK GGAL I now realize that your trailer has been rewired and the converter replaced. You will not hear humming from the original Univolt. I wouldn`t condemn the converter yet. You have to make sure it is receiving 110VAC first. We know the trailer is getting 110 VAC shore power(hair dryer works in all outlets). To test input to the converter you will need a multimeter and some knowledge of electrical wiring. This can be dangerous checking live wires so maybe get some local help to do this. The converter must be check for input of 110VAC and output of 12VDC. If you have both input and output then the converter is fine and check wiring to make sure the converter is connected to the battery.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Quote:
OK GGAL I now realize that your trailer has been rewired and the converter replaced. You will not hear humming from the original Univolt. I wouldn`t condemn the converter yet. You have to make sure it is receiving 110VAC first. We know the trailer is getting 110 VAC shore power(hair dryer works in all outlets). To test input to the converter you will need a multimeter and some knowledge of electrical wiring. This can be dangerous checking live wires so maybe get some local help to do this. The converter must be check for input of 110VAC and output of 12VDC. If you have both input and output then the converter is fine and check wiring to make sure the converter is connected to the battery.
Great, thank you again! I have someone coming by to check it out tomorrow and see if the poor winterizing job did any damage.....hopefully not. That's how this all started....last I spoke with him he said plug it in, change the propane tank and he'd call me tomorrow.

I thought that would solve the problem...so that's what I did. It's a snowball! At least I don't have to sound like a complete dolt when he comes tomorrow. I'll ask him to check the converter then. The only time I do any electrical work is when I can cut the power completely and I know what I'm doing! I don't mess around with stuff like that.

Should I still look for the 110VAC fuse box? I looked at the fuses on the back of the converter and they seemed in tact.

I'll send a message out here when I get some feedback from the RV guy (I haven't met him yet). Thanks a bunch again! My Best
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #41
x

XXXX , XXXX
GGAL lets wait and see what he finds tomorrow. LC30 120 VAC/12VDC load center. This should be both the 110VAC circuit breaker and 12VDC fuses in one panel so you don`t need to keep looking for the original one. Maybe you shouls start your own thread so we don`t keep hijacking this one.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Hadensville , Virginia
And we have central heat! My husbands uncle came and looked at it this morning. It seems that the igniting rods or whatever you call them were corroded enough that it prevented a good spark. I've been afraid to take anything apart, but he cleaned them up, and voila! heat! We are lucky it was that easy, if only we called him earlier.
Now its time to get a bigger propane tank.

Betsy