Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2006, 02:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Suburban NT 30M Furnace quick fix

I thought this might be useful. My furnace sometimes lit, but more often than not refused to light. There was a spark and that was it! I had just bought the 310 motor home from Texas, and by all accounts the furnace was not used much.

The furnace is fitted with a Johnson Controls double acting gas valve; model G54BCG-1. It is easily recognised by two solenoid coils on top. One side of the valve is the main open/closed and the second is a pressure-controlled valve.

When bench testing it showed up that the second stage pressure regulated gas valve was either very slow to open or did not open at all. After a thorough cleaning of the burner, removing what I think are mud daubers or wasp nests, I realised that it was still the gas valve causing the problem. The answer, when spares are very difficult to obtain was simple.

Remove the gas valves from the furnace and proceed to strip them down by removing the solenoid coils. The valve top is held in place by 6 screws, two in a bracket across the centre, be careful of the cork gasket - it’s very fragile. With the top off you will find two captivated valve seats. Each seat is activated by its own solenoid coil. These seats should "fall" off the port straight away. If they stick then follow this.

Very carefully remove the rubber seat from the disk. Do not pull or stretch it. When removed clean and turn it over so the fresh side is now the seat. Press the rubber back on to the centre pin using either finger nails or blunt plastic; make sure the rubber is under the flange of the pin. It should now look exactly as it was before it was turned. Reassemble check for gas leaks and away you go!

Hope this helps

Chuck
Dorset UK
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Hey Chuckles, you finally got a reply to this old thread after 7 years!
I'm doing a search for the Suburban NT 30M furnace, and before I dish out $600 for a new replacement (NT30SP), I took mine apart and tested the solenoid. 12V doesn't even make it click anymore, so the solenoid's bad and I'm searching for a replacement for just the solenoid. Would you have an extra one around?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:21 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
You're right! I forgot all about this thread.... Just for interest it is still running fine and we had some very cold nights over the years!

If it is the solenoid coil that is duff, double check with a multi-meter for continuity. Rarely I find 12volt coils to fail. If your gas has a high oil content, as I believe some USA gases are, then if the unit has not been run for a while it still may be a case of a sticking plunger. (Hence no "click")

Now before we go any further, it is up to you and your skills level to proceed.

It is quite a simple task to remove the component parts of the valve, just be aware of little springs every where. Thoroughly clean all parts but do not add oil, as that too will congeal and clog up. A good non-abrasive polish beats everything. If the rubber valve plug(s) do not remove easily just be patient and they will come off. (Generally it is a double valve port with a single rubber diaphragm) If it/they tear or show signs of cracking then it needs to be replaced. I just turned over my single diaphragm for a new surface to close on.

I did buy a used NT 30 in the end as a standby and it has been on the shelf ever since, but the cost of shipping O/S will be as much as a new one over there!

As for a spare Johnson Controls double acting gas valve; model G54BCG-1. that I do not have - it may be worth a google! I didn't come up with anything positive but there again I am computer wizz - hate them in fact!

While you do have the furnace stripped down now is a good time to clean and lubricate the bearings and double check the seals between the combustion side and the heating side - most important. If you can beg/steal/borrow a LPG CO2 analyser with a CO reader all the better. Best be safe. In general take the advantage to give the old’n a good clean up, and replace all gaskets.

Hope this helps

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote