Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Suburban Furnace Replacement

I just saw that Camping World has Suburban Furnaces on sale. My furnace is dead and removed long ago. It's sitting in my garage.

My question is, is one of these models appropriate for a 1978 Excella 500?? Is it the same size as the original? And is 30k or 35k BTU the way to go??

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...71&prodID=1084
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Suburban furnace

Most furnaces I've seen in this forum are the Suburban 'NT' type, which are taller. I have the same question: has anyone installed one of these low profile 'SF' style furnaces, and are they happy with them? Thanks for your input.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Search it up

I believe there have been discussions on this very issue in the past. Good ol Search feature.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Search feature?

Smily:
More specifically, and not meaning to be obnoxious, does anyone have experience with Suburban 'SF' low profile furnace? Not looking for rehash of pilot lighting problems, bypass hoses, catalytic heaters, or gas valve problems. Just want to know if anyone has tried a Suburban ST furnace?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
The only real problem with a furnace replacement is that of matching the holes in the skin to the ports on the new furnace. A secondary problem is the ductwork.

For the usual NT30 replacement of the mid seventies 32 unit, you have to slide the old furnace out of its case, remove the case from the plenum below it, and then use a spacer to lift the NT30 an inch or two to line up the exterior ports with the holes. You might also need to open up the bottom vent to the plenum and block off the side vents on the furnace. The spacer usually used is a layer or two of 3/4 plywood with an apperature cut for the furnace to plenum air flow.

For the low profile units, hooking up the existing ductwork is likely to be interesting. I don't know if they have vents on the bottom.

BTW, I found a new NT30 for $350 at a surplus place. So look around and you might be able to save a hundred or two from retail sale. (might start with Ebay)
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
look on ebay for truck and RV supply. replaced mine and it was about $100 less than camping world. and it was shipped from suburban. pays to look around. camping world normally has the best price when on sale.
my excella 500 had a nt 30 furnace. the airstream don't let you switch as you have to match up on the vent holes. or you wind up with a mess.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:21 PM   #7
Keysken

1982 31' International
Clarkston , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Sands
Smile Am interested in your old furnace, blower motor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb13798
look on ebay for truck and RV supply. replaced mine and it was about $100 less than camping world. and it was shipped from suburban. pays to look around. camping world normally has the best price when on sale.
my excella 500 had a nt 30 furnace. the airstream don't let you switch as you have to match up on the vent holes. or you wind up with a mess.
My furnace is in good shape but I need the blower motor.
Thanks
Ken Sands in Michigan ken1s@yahoo.com
Ken Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:27 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

See this thread for more info:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...eferrerid=2627

Replacing an original NT Suburban with its modern equivalent isn't hard, but there are some minor fit issues that have been mentioned already. All of the current NT furnaces are the same physical size, which simplifies things. As I mentioned in that other thread, watch out for new vs. original furnace ratings when replacing.

I replaced my Suburban NT with one of the low-profile units. It was a lot of work, but worth it to me because I wanted to relocate the furnace. My two goals were to improve some of the very inadequate original ducting and use the limited storage space in my Argosy MH more efficiently. The NT took up a big volume that's now dedicated to a huge drawer, while the new low-profile unit fit into a spot that was mostly wasted before.

BTW, I still have an almost-new NT-24SP for sale at a very attractive price.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:45 PM   #9
Keysken

1982 31' International
Clarkston , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
I just saw that Camping World has Suburban Furnaces on sale. My furnace is dead and removed long ago. It's sitting in my garage.

My question is, is one of these models appropriate for a 1978 Excella 500?? Is it the same size as the original? And is 30k or 35k BTU the way to go??

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...71&prodID=1084
Hi Craig,
I am interested in your old nt 30. Please e mail me at ken1s@yahoo.com.
Thanks
Ken Sands
Old 11-12-2004, 06:58 PM   #10
Keysken

1982 31' International
Clarkston , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
See this thread for more info:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...eferrerid=2627

Replacing an original NT Suburban with its modern equivalent isn't hard, but there are some minor fit issues that have been mentioned already. All of the current NT furnaces are the same physical size, which simplifies things. As I mentioned in that other thread, watch out for new vs. original furnace ratings when replacing.

I replaced my Suburban NT with one of the low-profile units. It was a lot of work, but worth it to me because I wanted to relocate the furnace. My two goals were to improve some of the very inadequate original ducting and use the limited storage space in my Argosy MH more efficiently. The NT took up a big volume that's now dedicated to a huge drawer, while the new low-profile unit fit into a spot that was mostly wasted before.

BTW, I still have an almost-new NT-24SP for sale at a very attractive price.

Bob
Hi Bob
I am interested in your furnace, I need only the motor,if you think the application is same , would like to purchase your furnace.
thanks,
Ken1s@yahoo.com
Old 11-13-2004, 10:48 PM   #11

I am interested in purchasing your NT24SP furnace - is it still for sale and how much do you want for it? thanks - Margo Schock
Margo Schock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Margo, I tried to email you but the system tells me your email is blocked.

My Suburban NT-24SP is still available for $225 plus shipping.

I have scanned the installation sketch from the furnace manual and will email it to anyone who is interested. It shows the modifications you have to make to use the modern Suburban furnace. The file is about 1 MB.

Bob
Old 02-24-2005, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcneon
Margo, I tried to email you but the system tells me your email is blocked.

My Suburban NT-24SP is still available for $225 plus shipping.

I have scanned the installation sketch from the furnace manual and will email it to anyone who is interested. It shows the modifications you have to make to use the modern Suburban furnace. The file is about 1 MB.

Bob
Bob, Am planning to replace my old Suburban NT-22A with a recently acquired NP-24SP. Would appreciate the installation sketch you mentioned and any additional help/tips you can offer. Thanks.
srrobertsiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Sam, the sketch is in the email.

Bob
Old 06-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
2009 27' FB International
Winnipeg , Manitoba
I was wondering if there were any updates on anyone who has tried the different Suburban furnace models? I am searching for a replacement for the non-existent furnace in my 65 Overlander. Currently I'm am trying to figure out the difference (other that size) between the different models, SF-35, SH-35 and NT-34SP. I don't need an exact replacement for whatever furnace was in there originally, because I'll be cutting a new hole in the skin anyway. Thanks!

Patrick
Airstream 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
check out the furnace the folks at the VAP's Ambassador Update (look for twin temp). It is probably as expensive as all get out but replaced both the furnace and the hot water heater. It only needed small vents through the floor and not through the side. The idea borrowed Precision Temp's (of RV-500 tankless RV water heater fame) flash heating expertise for a very high efficiency hydronic heating system tapped for a nearly tankless water heater.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:11 AM   #17

1975 26' Argosy 26
Eagle River , Alaska
Bob,

I am also needing help with my NT-22A. I replaced the Thermocoupler and cleaned the Pilot orfice only to still have the fire blow out when I move the thermostat to start the furnace? The fire starts in the firebox and then blows out after about 20 seconds. I tried to adjust the airtake but it doesnt seam to work? Any pointers or suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan
75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
2009 27' FB International
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Leipper,

Thanks for the info, and you are right. The Twin-Temp Jr. is expensive as all get out; seems to retail for $3250 US, (almost as much as I paid for my whole trailer!) (No one said this whole restoration thing was going to be cheap though )

However, I think I'll go with the RV-500 for water heating, and a Suburban Furnace, once I can figure out the differences.

Patrick
Airstream 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Argosy
Bob,

I am also needing help with my NT-22A. I replaced the Thermocoupler and cleaned the Pilot orfice only to still have the fire blow out when I move the thermostat to start the furnace? The fire starts in the firebox and then blows out after about 20 seconds. I tried to adjust the airtake but it doesnt seam to work? Any pointers or suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan with the 75 Argosy,
I had a 73 AS with the same problem where the pilot would blow out as the flame started. I removed the furnace from it's case and turned it upside down. Found water had come thru the vent and rusted holes through the combustion chamber. Tis caused the pressure to change inside the combustion chamber during operation allowing the pilot to blow out. I sent mine back to Suburban in 1982 and they rechambered it for me. Charlie E.
CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 65
I was wondering if there were any updates on anyone who has tried the different Suburban furnace models? I am searching for a replacement for the non-existent furnace in my 65 Overlander. Currently I'm am trying to figure out the difference (other that size) between the different models, SF-35, SH-35 and NT-34SP. I don't need an exact replacement for whatever furnace was in there originally, because I'll be cutting a new hole in the skin anyway. Thanks!

Patrick
I replaced my ancient Nt24 with a 20s, the job did require building a platform and some depth adjustment for the different vent length but it was not that bad of a job.

I hope the photo uploaded okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	40212  
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote