Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2004, 07:47 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone for all the info

I bought this Airstream about 6 years ago Love at first sight. I wasn't saying that though after the air conditioning shroud started falling apart the reefer vent as well the fan over the stove started acting up numerous plumbing jobs etc. etc. . Now after all my recent reading in these forums I have a bunch of new jobs lined up remove all the asbestos tile etc. etc. I was starting to get discouraged but now there is new light at the end of the tunnel. Thanx. I will pull the furnace in the spring and check it out. She is currently hibernating for the winter near Carleton place close to Ottawa on the Mississippi River (Canada)
Rickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 10:36 AM   #22
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Cool Don't get discouraged!

If anyone thinks owning a 30+ year old trailer is a cake walk they have an awaking coming

I thought I was becoming on RV'er upon purchasing my trailer but instead I have become a restorer

In my case I knew what I was getting into as far as what would have to be replaced. But not to how extensive the repairs would have to be or how expensive. And I have done all the work myself.

I have tried to put on my website the work I have done, but it is not complete. You can check it here to get an idea.

In the end it is worth it to me. And now that the projects are winding down, I find myself with too much time

So get your second wind and get to work!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 01:46 PM   #23
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
Right here, , where ever I wake up
Send a message via AIM to Theo
I had already decided to pull out the furnace - thank you for the 101 on doing that..

Who services these things - presumably an RV place???

Theo
Old 01-15-2004, 01:53 PM   #24
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I doubt any RV place will service a 30+ year old furnace. Too much liability.

They will always opt to replace it, and they may be right.

New furnace is around $500 +installation.

Any work done on an AS is automatically at least 20% more than an SOB

I was trying to get camping world to do the free install of an air conditioner I bought as part of their permotion. Once I told them it was a 1971 Airstream, they were immediatly too busy and jumped at the option of reducing the price of the a/c the amount an installation would cost.

Most of the non airstream dealers don't like working on AS expecially older ones.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #25
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
So it looks like I have to find $1000 from somewhere to change the furnace with.. That sucks. I haven't even looked at the water heater..

Theo
Old 01-15-2004, 02:03 PM   #26
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thumbs up Don't worry....

The water heater is cheaper. Only about $240 + install for the gas pilot model

Seriously, you can probably do much of the work yourself. Just take your time and tackle one thing at a time. Otherwise it's too overwhelming for anyone.

BTW- you may not want to mess with the furnace right away if you have other things to take care of. Like the fridge, water heater, plumbing, etc...

You can always get a small ceramic heater as long as you have electricity where ever you camp. That's what we have been doing and it heats up great.

We also have the heat strip in the A/C and that helps with the morning chill.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:26 PM   #27
Confused & Wandering

1993 34' Excella
I haven't looked at the fridge yet. I felt the icebox and it was cold.. That is good enough for a while.

I am so glad the water heater is cheaper - the $$$$$ attached to everything I have priced so far has got me cowering..

I need to get the rock guard.. and the furnace... and a new toilet... and a water heater.... I think I will go scream now.

Theo
Old 09-20-2004, 07:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Dirty pilot light

Back in February, I had my furnace on the bench addressing the necessary repairs noted earlier in this thread. The furnace itself appeared to operate just fine other than the pilot light blowing out when the main burner shut off. I attributed this to a bad regulator, and went about my business.

Well, since my new Fisher 966 LPG regulator did not solve the problem, I ended up pulling the furnace out this weekend to solve the problem. It appears that the pilot light jet was partially clogged although the jet looked clean. Suburban used a jet with two, incredibly small holes instead of one "big" hole. I removed the jet, soaked it in solvent, and blew it out with compressed air. The furnace works great now.

I post this primarily to warn people against doing what I set out to do, which was to adjust the amount of gas going to the pilot light - Clean the jet first.

Edit: If you would like more information on the crossover tube location, here's what to look for.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:08 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Crossover tube? where is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewStreamer
I just read in an old (92) AS Caravanner magazine a recall for all Furnaces made from 66 to 77.
Campaign : 77E-012 initiated summer of 77
Campaign : 81E-015 initiated winter 81-82
The furnaces were models NT-17, NT-20, NT-22 and NT-30 manufactured between 66 & 70 The serial numbers were 0064881 and lower.
Also Furnaces made between 1970 & 1977 except those with an "M" suffix, The serial numbers are: 0064881 through 0715865
The recall specifies:" if the model and serial number of yr furnace falls within those noted, have it inspected unless you are VERY SURE the Suburban recall has already been completed on your unit"
The furnaces in question have a rubber-like crossover tube that could crack . Extremely dangerous carbon monoxide would then be expelled into the interior

Ron
Cross over tube?? where would that be at
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I see any number of furnace threads by searching on plenum. See what you can find. Avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning isn't a pictures & words project. There may be no second chances. Tackle it only if you have the expertise.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Kalamazoo , Michigan
I have a 1968 Safari that has a Suburban NT-22a furnace that has the following serial number: B-10021. Is this furnace part of the infamous NT-22 recall?
Old 04-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #32

1975 25' Tradewind
Vernon , BC
Upgrading NT22 furnace

I am replacing the Suburban NT22 furnace in my 1975 Trade Wind Land Yacht. What is the best replacement furnace to use? i've heard bad things about the NT22. It would be so nice to get a replacement that slides right in wouldn't it.
BandWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
... bump ...
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #34
AKA
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
clark fork , Idaho
Ok, I see I asked the right group. Thanks. I have all the original parts manuals and purchase and repair orders from the PO. I think I can find what I need and get a replacement or even a solid inspection. The AS looks like it was hardly used and it obviously didn't leave home often. I'll post pix when Mr. Nikon comes home from his factory cleaning and repair.
thank you all so much.
AKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Still Going Strong after 48 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
... bump ...
I commented earlier in this thread about what the Suburban Recall entailed.

FWIW, we just returned from the campground this past weekend after letting my Overlander's original furnace keep us warm in near-freezing weather.

It's hard to keep a good furnace down.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote