Old 03-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
A bird built a nest in the air intake of my furnace one summer. When I turned it on the first time in the fall it wouldn't light due to lack of airflow for the sail switch. Must have been a real small bird to fit through the slats on the Suburban intake grill. There is a small port on the firebox that can be opened to see if the electrode is sparking, when I looked in there I saw straw and twigs that had been sucked in from the nest and that clued me into that problem. A few other times I've got it to light off by cleanung the electrode with fine sandpaper. No spark can be a bad board or a stuck or defective sail switch. Assuming there is no bird nest of course!

ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
The Woodlands , Texas
If this is the original furnace you will want to replace it. A 33 year old furnace will get normal rust and develop pin holes which will leak carbon monoxide into your trailer. Also make sure you install a carbon monoxide detector. My 83 did not have one in the trailer. Most repair shops will not touch a furnace over 10 years old for this exact reason.

Air83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #17
Tin Man
1983 27' Excella
Currently Looking...
Charlottesville , Virginia
Good points, thank you all. As much as I prefer to fix rather than replace things, if this repair is going to run me much over $250, I think I might buy a new one as I have seen the new NT-30 model for as low as $440, plus the leak peace of mind, etc.; my only real concern is if the exterior vents line up.

83 Excella 27
07 Tundra Limited
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Heater | Top | A/C Removal »