Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2003, 04:23 PM   #1
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Question Suburban Furnace instructions

Hi. I have the standard Suburban propane furnace in my trailer. I have never had to use a furnace, living in the land of sunshine, but I am going to travel to the vast frozen wasteland of Tennesee this fall, and I would like to know how to operate my furnace. Naturally, I have no instructions, anywhere. The fan comes on when I turn on the thermostat, and that is all I know. Since I don't want to be the first Airstreamer on the moon, if anyone could let me know the instructions for turning on (and off) this unit, and any quirks to watch for, I would be eternally grateful.
Thanks in advance,
Terry
(in Florida)
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:27 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Terry,

There is more we need to know. What model is it is the most important.

You may have a manual pilot or it could be auto ignition.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Suburban Furnace instructions

Greetings Terry!

Given the fact that your furnace hasn't seen use in quite some time, I would suggest having a qualified technician check it out. These furnaces have had a history of rust problems in the heat exchanger, and when present it can present a very real threat of carbon monoxide poisoning of occupants in a coach where such a defective furnace is used. I will admit to being overly cautious with LP gas appliances (an gas appliances for that matter) and have all of mine professionally inspected and cleaned at the beginning of each season.

The original Suburban on my Argosy has passed inspection thus far, but I am considering having it replaced as the lighting instructions take a contortionist to carry out and that is the last thing that I want to do. Basically, you must have a screw driver to loosen the inspection plate to reveal the pilot. Then the thermostat must be advanced such that the blower runs for five minutes. At that point, the instructions indicate that it is necessary to be sure that the gas valve on the exterior of the coach below the furnace's location is in the "on" position. Then the instructions call for depressing this almost impossible to reach pilot button while holding a lighted match in the pilot lighting position. I gave up after 30 minutes of repeating the process (as directed in the owner's manual) without having the device fire up. The lighting instructions in my manual actually take two pages - - evidently piezzo ignition was an option but not one that was included on my coach (or it is inoperable).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
My '71 has a Suburban NT20, I think.

If you have an original furnace it may be like this....

You first bring the thermostat up from off but keep it set really low to keep the fan from running. Next there is a gas valve to the right of the furnace. Turn it on.

There are two buttons. One is the button you push and hold while your lighting it, the other creates a spark to get the pilot to ignite.

My igniter is bad so I have to light it with a match.

Once the pilot is going. Close the access door and set the thermostat to your desired setting.

To turn off the furnace. Turn your thermostat off, then turn off the gas valve.

You should have it checked out first to make sure its ok to use, expecially if its original. And alwasy have a CO and LP detector in use in the trailer, and leave a window opened as well.

Good luck.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Terry,

There is more we need to know. What model is it is the most important.

You may have a manual pilot or it could be auto ignition.

WBCCI #5501

Brett, I would be happy to give you that info, where would I find it? Almost everything else on my trailer has basic instructions on its operation, except the things that will likely kill me if I don't follow the instructions...
I agree that I should have it checked over before using it, but knowing how it is supposed to work will (hopefully) keep me from buying another furnace, because the tech says it is bad, and I don't know any better.
Thanks,
Terry
(in Florida)
Old 08-03-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Terry!

Since the Argosy 20 and the Minuet 6.0 Metre shared a number of similarities, I will venture a guess that your furnace is likely under the kitchen counter - - probably below the range/oven. The model information on the furnace should be on the main service door to the furnace (a small tag riveted to the door). If that tag is missing, mine also has an identification tag inside the furnace enclosure as well (accessed by removing/opening the access door). It took some cleaning and a strong flashlight to be able to read the identification plates on mine.

Good luck with your search for the data plate!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 08-03-2003, 05:33 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Hot Seat

Greetings Terry!

Since the Argosy 20 and the Minuet 6.0 Metre shared a number of similarities, I will venture a guess that your furnace is likely under the kitchen counter - - probably below the range/oven. The model information on the furnace should be on the main service door to the furnace (a small tag riveted to the door). If that tag is missing, mine also has an identification tag inside the furnace enclosure as well (accessed by removing/opening the access door). It took some cleaning and a strong flashlight to be able to read the identification plates on mine.

Good luck with your search for the data plate!

Kevin

WBCCI/VAC #6359

Kevin, my furnace is under the couch on the street side of the coach, there is no door, I will pull out the couch and check for tags.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 08-03-2003, 09:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Suburban Furnace Instructions

Greetings Terry!

I happened to run across a 1972 Argosy manual among the materials in my Minuet this evening, and scanned the paragraphs pertaining to lighting the furnace. I hope that this information helps - - it is a less involved process than on my '78.

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suburban furnace lighting instructions copy.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2531  
AIR #827