Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Split System A/C advice needed

Hi-

I'm thinking about an LG split system air conditioner on a vintage trailer. The other option, of course is the floor mounted standard house system, but it will require more changes in the closet than I'd like and would probably be noisier.

SmokelessJoe has a good idea in mounting the external condenser on the tongue. He uses only diesel, so he doesn't have propane tanks to mount. I'd like to do the same thing, but am concerned with restricting flow from the cooling fan.

Here's a drawing of what I have in mind -- same idea, but mounting a single side-mounted 30# propane tank to minimize loss of cooling air flow.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	split_ac.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	46932  
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63GT
...Thoughts? ...
Defintely go with the horizontal bottle(s) - that way you could mount the compressor section even farther toward the tongue and minimize the body airflow interference.

Just a quick glance indicates that you may get better airflow by having the inlet toward the body and exhausting over where you have the bottle in your diagram - just a gut feeling. Either way you go, maximize the body to condensing coil distance, since you essentially have a "wall to wall" interface there, and getting air flow to the center of the coils would be of your major concern.

Please post pics of your progress. A friend of mine has a split LG unit in his spa room and he thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Thanks, Dennis.

The specs call for about 4" from the wall. I think you're right that I need to follow the suction side distance specs. With the horizontal tank, I can sneak it towards the jack and still get clearance to crank it over the tank. That would let me move the compressor away from the trailer.

I'll post pics next year. Just starting the winter planning now.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote