Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Split HVAC

So our original front Rooftop AC unit finally gave up last summer.
I am planning on converting out 310 to a split HVAC system, has any one done this yet? if so, what system did you use? are you happy?
SpiceStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
What do you mean by split, delete the roof ACs and put in a mini-split?

There was a 310 for sale last summer that relocated the spare tire and used that space for a mini split, looked like a decent idea but i didn't see any details

Curious what your plans are
Old 01-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I hope you do it Curt. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. There was a guy on the forum who put a split system in an Argosy trailer a few years ago, I think his forum name was Smokeless Joe or something like that.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
http://youtu.be/IHDT5ZEpKkw

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...tml#post967026

Try taking a look at these
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Yes, this is precisely what I want to do.
As you know, my spare tire area is already butchered, so I can easily fit the compressors back there, Everyone I talked to has been pleased with there system, and I can add 2 more fantastic fans and get some more weight off the roof. I think I am going to go with one of the budget splits on Amazon and see what happens, I figure once the lines are in, I can always upgrade to a better unit quickly, and if the budget unit works, better for everyone.

Very interesting Fact, I met Smokeless Joe, I believe in AK, I have to look through a mess of pictures to figure out where, but his rig was absolutely gorgeous. His Sprinter flatbed with Mini was an excellent idea, trailer fantastic, he was a great guy as well.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Really curious to follow this

So do you plan to duct the air outputs, or just let it blow up to the front?

Keeping the furnace or going entirely with the split system?
Old 01-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
I am trying to select a dual zone mini split, I want to put one air handler near the cockpit, and one in the rear bedroom since that is where most of the windows are creating the solar gain / heat loss and I feel like that would give me the most control of the temperature. My plan is to install two more MaxxAir fans to close up the holes in my roof left by the rooftop AC's. I currently have one Maxxair fan in the middle of the 310 and love it so 3 would be better than one in my opinion. Will I remove the furnace??? probably not, I will have to see how the heat pump function works on the mini split, I have no intention of winter camping in our rig, but I may need to squirt south some day in the winter and may need real heat until I get there.

I got side tracked on a bathroom remodel, my wife put the bathroom project ahead of the Mini Split, but maybe I will get them both done this winter, who knows???

I will keep you all posted.

Curt
Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Tai O , Lantau Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceStream View Post
I am trying to select a dual zone mini split, I want to put one air handler near the cockpit, and one in the rear bedroom since that is where most of the windows are creating the solar gain / heat loss and I feel like that would give me the most control of the temperature. My plan is to install two more MaxxAir fans to close up the holes in my roof left by the rooftop AC's. I currently have one Maxxair fan in the middle of the 310 and love it so 3 would be better than one in my opinion. Will I remove the furnace??? probably not, I will have to see how the heat pump function works on the mini split, I have no intention of winter camping in our rig, but I may need to squirt south some day in the winter and may need real heat until I get there.

I got side tracked on a bathroom remodel, my wife put the bathroom project ahead of the Mini Split, but maybe I will get them both done this winter, who knows???

I will keep you all posted.

Curt

Did you decide to do this yet?

We have the split hvacs here in Hong Kong (central heating/ cooling is almost non-existent here) so I know how they work and I know the one we have in the living room does well heat and cool for about 200sqft unless our big oven is on lol. So we’ve considered using the same instead of getting a loud rooftop model for our already gutted ‘86 excella 34’. Which dual zone are you looking at? Will you add another breaker box?
MCPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I just stumbled across this thread. I am familiar with mini splits as I just removed two of them from a house in Virginia. They are incredibly quiet and very efficient- just what is needed in an Airstream. The 120v models have two sizes I believe, 9,000 and 12,000 btu/hr. Anything larger and you need to go to 240v. I have a 95 34’, that is on the back burner now, and I plan to install a 12,000 btu/hr dual zone unit in it. One zone will be in the main living area and one in the bedroom. I will mount the compressor on the A frame in front. The hardest part will be running the refrigerant lines between the compressor and the indoor units and concealing them. I plan to run the lines under the Airstream then up through the floor with a vertical run to the indoor unit.

I believe the dual zone 12,000 btu/hr unit will do a fine job of cooling and heating the Airstream. I am looking forward to the install.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Here are some specifications on an LG 115v single zone 12,000 btu/hr mini split heat pump. Note that duel zone is not available for this size. If you want dual zone you need to step up to 230v, 18,000 btu/hr. Obviously this size unit would cool better but for us I believe that the smaller unit would work out best.

The key specs are 1,140 watts power consumption, 1/4” and 3/8” refrigerant lines and maximum indoor noise level of 39 dba.

Dan
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	334872Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	334873
Old 10-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #11
RoamingPo8t

1962 19' Globetrotter
VIENNA , VA
Hi TouringDan, did you install the mini split AC? I just bought a 1962 Globetrotter 19’ and looking into AC options. The unit comes with a working propane heater, I’m considering using the space to install a mini split. Any information you can part with is appreciated!
roamingpo8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingpo8t View Post
Hi TouringDan, did you install the mini split AC? I just bought a 1962 Globetrotter 19’ and looking into AC options. The unit comes with a working propane heater, I’m considering using the space to install a mini split. Any information you can part with is appreciated!
Dan has plenty of experience in AC systems. A mini split is a great option. We installed one in our 22’ Flying Cloud. It is doable. Take care
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Split HVAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingpo8t View Post

roamingpo8t- Hello there. I have started installation of a minisplit HP in my 95 34’ but have not finished. The thread is titled “mini-split heat pump install in a 34’” dated 4/18/20.

The challenge of installing a minisplit are where to install the compressor, where to install the air handler and where to discretely install the refrigerant lines that connect the two together. Since the compressor is about the same size as two propane tanks, it makes the most sense to install the compressor on the tongue where the propane tanks are. This is what both I and Bubba L have done. I am installing the air handler on the wall in place of a wall cabinet that I removed in my 34’. Bubba L installed his air handler in a base cabinet and then designed ductwork in his 55 Airstream to discreetly deliver cold air at various locations in the upper cabinets. He has accomplished a true “ducted air” design in his 55 Flying Cloud.

The toughest challenge for your 62 Globetrotter is where to install the air handler.

An AC option that I would also consider is what I have done for our 66 Tradewind. I install a small 5,000 btu/hr AC unit in the window when I need it. The thread for this installation is “5,000 btu/hr AC
with a 1,000 watt Genny dated 10/10/2019. This is really an easy and inexpensive option. I would try this before installing a minisplit.
However, If you want to go with a minisplit I would model it after Bubba L’s installation. His is by far the most professional I have seen.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	382185Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0690.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	382186