Old 03-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
awesome work Matt! I need to do some great drawings like that too, what are you drawing in?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #72
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1966 28' Ambassador
Lansing , Kansas
Just Powerpoint, learning how to use Sketchup is on my agenda, but sadly way down there...

Old 03-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #73
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1966 28' Ambassador
Lansing , Kansas
BTW, the Cruisair models can be placed externally as well, and are built to be weatherproof, and they offered some pretty extreme examples of their use. Also, the dual use heating and cooling models are less expensive than the cooling only models, not sure why per se, other than perhaps the greater frequency of manufacture.

Just got my axle today, so I have been updating the frame plan, dealing with sick kids, and restoring a few vintage Gillette safety razors. Oh, and work..
Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
I'm thinking of cannibalizing a dual pipe windowless unit and using one for the front and one for the back. Fredrich makes a nice 13,500 btu heat pump and one can have two of those for the price of one roof unit similarly rated. They both draw about the same amps. I'll have to manage the power and may have to upgrade to 50 amp or something.

In my remodel I've made two new spaces that should be large enough to put the units in. Candidate spaces are Left rear under the new L-sofa, Left front under one of the new twin beds or in the closet since I've made so much new storage space.

My scheme is to use a dual pipe unit that has a suction for warm air and a discharge for the Hot air from the evaporator operation. I'll have to fabricate a skit and a plenum of course but I have lots of aluminum sheet, tube, angle and foam board to do that with. Suction would be through the floor from beneath the trailer and discharge would be through the floor but out the banana wrap or through the side of the trailer. These things use 5" tubes.

I can plumb the condenser into the duct work of the heater and blow from both ways, front and back.

As for the stratification just use a fan and blow from the center of the trailer to both ends and the hot air should deflect downward.

An ideal system would return from the floor and discharge to the ceiling for air and the opposite for heat but you can't have everything in small spaces.

Most of the bad results using windowless or portable air are single pipe units and ones that use the moisture evaporation scheme instead of a drain. Forget about single pipe units, just a waste of time and a foolish idea in my book.

The roof AC just doesn't sing for me. There has to be a better answer. That one looks like just a cheap and cheerful way to do it.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:18 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Interesting-- let us know how it goes.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. We put in a new low profile dometic last year and while I'm not adverse to the look of it, it is a noisy SOB and it sits right above our twin bunks. Even on low, it does a good job of transmitting its noise and vibration through the trailer and for the couple of nights we camped before the end of the season, I didn't care for it.

Probably this next winter I'll be working on the very front of the trailer by the front window and gaucho. If I were to go with either a split system or dual pipe, there will be room somewhere in the front. The gaucho is going away along with the cabinetry that houses the fold out table so that might be where the inside unit could go. Ideally either of these units would be enough to keep the trailer cool at night without the incessant drone of the current unit on the roof.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
That is just one of the things I dislike, the noise. The design is inherently inefficient anyway with the return so near the discharge and all that.

I'm anxious to get started. Even using one of the dometic truck units with the evaporator on the roof is shorter than the roof units.

My idea of going through the duct work may not be so great since some of that exhausts to the tanks to keep them warm in freezing weather. Guess I could put small gate valves in to stop that.

I have plenty of room in the top of the closet for the air handlers and condenser units. Even the Dometic will fit. The split two pipe seems best though since you can put the compressor down low and the lighter stuff up high in the closet.... or not.

Anxious to get started but need to get the remodel more done first. Work and stuff keep getting in the way.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
the larger, building style split unit just look like hell

MattB

Strangely, the folks who see my unit always say the opposite....how COOL, literally and figuratively.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC hitch.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	213317

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	213318

Name:	refections.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	213319

Lot of chatter here about truck type units. ....

For anyone who is undertaking an extensive rebuild I think the sophisticated residential-commercial units, like my LG (there's a hosts of others out there too) are a much better choice, compared to the under-featured and over-priced truck things - incidentally brought to you by the same people that make the noisy RV industry roof tops.

If there are " millions and millions" of these truck types out there - unlikely- there is for sure MILLIONS and MILLIONS of split units in use right now in North America, having already conquered Asia, then Europe.

Google or do a Yellow Pages search on Heating and Cooling wherever you live. See how many dozens and dozens of service firms jump up.

Now try that with TRUCKS, Air Conditioning, Refrigeration....
Old 06-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
The single perplexing issue for me with going with a split unit is the size of the interior air handler, they seem to be very long and skinny so they need a good deal of wall space. In an airstream, that means giving up one of the overhead cabinets or situating it somewhere else. I wouldnt have a problem mounting the small compressor unit on the tongue even if it meant losing the propane tanks (at least their permanent mounting there). I wonder if one would fit where the overhead storage compartment is, that might make for a very neat installation if the dimensions were reasonably close. And then you would have to figure out some way to run the refrigerant lines so they dont stick out like a sore thumb.

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Bob,

In my post above,the LG Art Cool inside unit is shown on the middle photo.

It's 22 " square and 5" deep. Weighs 15 pounds.

Check my main thread on the Forum here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...e-18448-8.html

Starting at post #109 you will find a complete picture and words description of how this installation was done.

The more common narrow, horizontal models can probably be fitted in an Airstream overhead compartment, as you suggest.

You mentioned re-working the front of your trailer next winter. That's were it can go. You will need to remove the interior panels and have all your lines go above and around the window(s), running down and then under the floor back out to the compressor on the tongue to prevent the rough "sore thumb" look you naturally don't want.

That way you can make the installation as completely invisible as I made mine.

Using the internet you can find propane cylinders of different sizes and shapes than those commonly used in RVing. Build a mounting bracket for both the A/C plant and a pair of small, narrow cylinders, one on each side of the compressor, and there you are....

I can promise you that you'll not be kept awake by the unit. Andrew M in Tennessee can attest to that too.

All the best,
Old 06-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Akins , Oklahoma
There are even interior units that will fit in a cabinet and blow downward like a ceiling register.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
When I first started my first Airstream project a little over a year ago I was considering a split system. Had my old Armstrong a/c not worked so well I might well have gone this route.

In the intervening year I have come to appreciate the simplicity of the good old fashioned roof mounted a/c.

Yea it makes some noise, but no more noise, and often times less noise, than the a/c units that are in a lot of Hotel rooms that I have paid a lot of money for. In fact, I think that my rooftop a/c might be more quiet than the unit in my home.

These split systems may prove reliable, but will they work after 42 years like my " obsolete" rooftop does?

Just some food for thought from a person who has considered, and may again consider a split a/c.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Climate Right has a dual hose with the unit outside.

Rather small for bigger Airstreams but it looks like they are planning to release a larger unit this summer

Teardrop Trailer Air Conditioner and Heater | Climate Right Air
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:27 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Climate Right

I like the idea of a Climate Right, as a failrly easy, minimalist unit and installation . The model 5000 unit, AC & Heat, is rated for 1200 CF. My 6.7 Argosy Minuet measures, generously at 819 CF which by their rating (probably conservative) is using 75% of capacity and should be fine. They make a model 8000, AC only that is rated almost double that of the 5000.

Now what I am wondering is if I can make a permanent mount on the rear bumper, plumb using the metal hoses, plumb through the streetside bathroom closet and up into the streetside cabinet above the refrigerator for AC air and plumb the same route but to floor level for the return air hose.

Counter the weight on the rear by mounting the spare on the tongue and mover the propane forward on the tongue.

Any thoughts?????

Greg