Old 03-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I wish I had some more experience with the AC kit but I'll have a stab at question part 1. On the window AC unit I bought and tried it wasn't just the rear panel per se that needed to be vented it was pretty much everything except the front face! The base was not too tricky to modify for drainage but venting the sides, top and rear required just too much surface area. I'd say pick a model of window unit (mine was a Haier) and download the manual and take a boo at the vent requirements. There's also lots of installs on this site with extra fans and what not and indeed I had a go with that but in the end for me it was kind of spoiled the OEM/ factory feel and security that I'd like. Also I have a sneaking suspicion that after all the modifying and bodging that the thing would give out when I want it the most and I'd be left to sort of start again, at least with a stock RV or truck product I can get it serviced or replaced a bit more easily, (I hope). Plan B, buy one build a quick box to sit it in and cut the hole size you can work with and let it run outside for a few hours and see if it gets warm, hot or China syndrome hot.

Now I've found the Dometic self contained floor models and that they are native 120 V I'd skip all the export models, but that being said I have little experience with transformers. (I did buy a biggish one when I first moved from a 240V country to Canada just to power a rather high end European hifi and it worked well, I installed it in my basement and ran a dedicated 240V line to my hifi room). It was heavy, and noisy, I wouldn't do it again.

I don't know if that helps or hinders but there's got to be an AC expert tech somewhere here with real knowledge not the armchair variety….

Old 03-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #58
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lansing , Kansas
14K BTU unit offer

Yeah, still feel a bit like virgins talking about sex here.

I emailed about nine different vendors, and only have one real response so far. I will be surprised if I get more than one more response. One vendor is offering me a 14k Dometic split unit for $1200. Says he's got eight at the moment. I've got to do some checking tonight. The big questions are the venting requirements, and how much I can seperate the condenser and the exchanger/blower unit, or if it can do a vertical run with the return exchange of about 5-6 feet.

I am right with you on the concerns over the serviceability and ability to make it appear as an OEM finish. I don't want a ghetto looking mass of duct tape in the cabinet that cannot be fixed or operated without looking like a hot mess.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #59
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lansing , Kansas
Climate Right

Just had a talk yesterday with the folks at Climate Right. Very helpful, and they are supposed to get back to me with some information from their HVAC tech to see if what I had in mind might be able to provide the necessary venting. This unit is smaller than I thought, and lighter, just a matter of suitability inside the trailer. CR-8000-AC - ClimateRight Their installation instruction recommend against interior installs, but the concern appears to be mitigated with proper venting.

Of note, they are coming out with a split 12K BTU heating and cooling system in two months for about $1000 and perhaps less, so that may be just the ticket for you William. I have asked for any information they might have available on that. To their credit they seem very interested in finding a workable solution, and one of their techs claims to be a former Airstream factory employee.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Nashville , Tennessee
Split Air Conditioner install

For a data point I'll speak up for my experience of the LG Art Cool mini split. I installed one on my '54 cruiser which we full time in. The Art cool has been running great for 3 years now running 75% of the time. I have hooked up to wall outlets before and ran the whole things, label says it takes ten amps max while running ( besides startup obviously).

My only complaint is really just due to my airstream setup, and we had to place the inside unit in the back bedroom of the trailer. This is not ideal obviously and without a fan circulating the air there can be quite the temp difference, but evven still the heating and cooling power of this thing is impressive. It alone kept us warm at 3 degrees this winter...

I recently got a vornado fan to push the conditioned air to the front and by doing this, the front and rear temperatures equaled out in the trailer. If you could find a good place for two inside air handlers this thing could cool and heat your trailer nicely. Mine cost $1200 and I love it.

Thanks smokeless joe for paving the way!
Old 03-18-2014, 02:47 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
That sounds interesting Matt, would you post any iso you get up?

Hey Andrew where about did you mount the compressor on your Lg set up? any pics?
Old 03-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Nashville , Tennessee
The airstream needs a good cleaning so excuse the dirt...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395422357.737189.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	207968

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395422378.152718.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	207969
Old 03-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
where are your propane tanks going?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Nashville , Tennessee
Well we full time right now so they just sit on the ground, as you can see. We plan on traveling in a year and so we will probably just use a small 15lb tank and keep it in the bed of the truck...not perfect, but not a big deal to us.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Well we full time right now so they just sit on the ground, as you can see. We plan on traveling in a year and so we will probably just use a small 15lb tank and keep it in the bed of the truck...not perfect, but not a big deal to us.
A man camping next to me just brought his spare tanks into the campground last night. He used plastic milk crates to carry them without tipping over. I've bought two different tank holders & neither were as good as his solution! Off to Office Max!

Paula
Old 03-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
interesting. I would really like to add a split to my 66. Not sure where I would mount the inside portion.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I would like to find a split system that uses a ducted air handler for the inside. I would then use the same ducts for my furnace. Yes I know it would be better if the cold air came from the ceiling, bit I haven't figured that out yet.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That a/c system should make the trailer like a refrigerator..
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #69
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lansing , Kansas
Developments

I am still waiting to hear back from Climate Right. They sound like they have huge potential to be a great and affordable solution if I can get the venting right. I did learn a little from another seller of the split truck systems that one might want to de-rate the non-RV systems' BTU ratings compared to the normal rooftop RV system some, maybe 15-20%, Perhaps due to the cooling advantage from the roof, with cool air sinking. Big question for me is what the venting requirements are for the CR-8000. No information on their 12K system until it comes out in a few months.

Right now I am leaning toward the split truck system, even though it is more expensive. A couple reasons: 1) There are millions and millions of the common Dometic models and repairs should be easily available, 2) my interior layout and the capabilities of the system are compatible in terms of ventilation, the distance between two units, the size of the units, and the ability to push air the required distance within the trailer 3) when I factor in the ability for the unit to also provide heat and thus not require another RV furnace, the $1500 price becomes competitive with a normal rooftop unit and furnace. BTW, the dual capability units are more common, and thus more affordable than the cooling only units.

I am sorry, but the larger, building style split unit just look like hell, and my experience overseas with them is such that they don't heat worth a damn below 40F. Too many days of chipping off ice and pouring boiling water on them to thaw them out in Afghanistan and too large of an internal unit. Viscerally negative reaction. 'F' for Fail. But YMMV. And I would like to be able to winter camp. I may still bolster my trailer with a catalytic heater.

William, so far I have an offer of 14K split unit for $1500 and a 12K split unit for $1200 from two different vendors. Once I hear from from the technical folks at Climate Right I will be able to decide. Both of the split units are either scratch and dent models or rebuilt, but since they will be enclosed in a cabinet, I am not really worried.

More to follow...
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #70
On adventure with H&G

2012 30' Flying Cloud
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Lansing , Kansas
Truck A/C system spec sheets

All,

Some of the materials from the various manufacturers that I have received and found so far. The best information is definitely on the Dometic systems. The completely self contained models are ideal in terms of capability to heat, cool, and push air, along with their orientation, being vented to the outside from the botton, and able to push air up to 12-15 feet or more. For me they are just a little large.

A couple of observations, the completely self contained units are more expensive, around $3K, and the split units are between $1200-2000. This is initially a bit more expensive from appearance, but once you factor in the capability to heat and cool, taking the place say of a $900 Dometic Penquin and a $500-600 furnace, that split system is not so expensive, and is far more common parts wise.

I was also able to learn that in addition to being able to push air farther than I thought, one can spread the two elements of the split system quite a bit, up to 50 feet according to one vendor, but they don't come charged, and will need to be hooked up and charged by an HVAC tech.

I have also included a simple sketch of my concepts in profile.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream HVAC.pdf (100.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: pdf ASC15 710015100 4-26-11.PDF (176.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: pdf L-2317.pdf (272.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: pdf L-2327.pdf (179.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf L-2328.pdf (273.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf L-2522DOM-TrkAPUspecifyGuide_8-14-07.pdf (2.43 MB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf LB-23 CA DX AIR COOLED BKLT11-10-06.pdf (4.66 MB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf EBS16S.pdf (62.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: pdf Danhard 2010 Catalog.pdf (5.12 MB, 35 views)