Old 02-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I too am thinking along these lines, and am considering mounting it under the front of the trailer in the spare tire cavity. Thoughts?

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Hi Aviator, I think under the trailer would look great but the old heat rises concern would go to the top of my list and would probably degrade the performance somewhat. Unless you mean to mount it on edge as is were in which case it sounds great.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Good topic guys, looking forward as it unfolds.
I too have thought about installing underneath and using the stringers along the outside edge to vent hot air away. They already are a duct in design, well they are if you squint real hard and use your imagination.............
Old 02-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
WOW Dometic really doesn't want to sell their product! Many emails and a bizarre vetting of why I want this product and whether I'll be trying to sell it through my own company and now it's gone quiet.

Still...I have found 10 ex demo Dometic 14k split units, about $4000 new, although that info is from another forum (p/n EHCEQ14) that are available with all new hoses and connections, $1500 US or discounted for 2 or more if anyone is interested.

Given the crummy info available and almost conspiratorial manufacturer protectionist behaviour I'd like to see what other options there are but I'm pretty excited.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Most interesting developments a foot. I now have the docs to sign up for my own Dometic dealer account which will alleviate some of the pain from a $ 5,797 MSRP for the top of the line unit. Better still my endless enquiries found their way to a national distributor who seems keen to help with system selection. So the hunt continues for the perfect split AC.

Side notes are that I read the Summer 2012 Airstreamlife cover to cover and didn't find much on the Ac system in the Area33 trailer. But in the next article, about the 60's Sovereigns, was lusting over Rob Baker's SOTR and read the paragraph about how hard they are to get when lo and behold it mentions one for sale in Wickenburg, AZ. For a moment I was thinking that's a coincidence until I realized it was my 33' that the seller had incorrectly sold as a 30 footer. small world I guess.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Do you mean the Area63 install? I have seen It. Uwe did a nice job on the install but it is a window mount unit that he installed which is vented out the bottom if I remember correctly and then ducted to the back and front. I just worry about the unit failing and then be unable to get an exact replacement and having to start anew.

The air conditioner will be the last thing I install. With camping in the Rocky's air conditioning isn't really needed.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks Kip, I thought it was going to be a split system :-( I tried my own variation of home built (well I got the avionics guys on it) effort two years ago and although it worked it made me nervous about burning to death even with thermal cutouts installed. Split has got to be the way to go for me.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I found the designed for 24 V item below but I doubt less than 1000 watts equivalent of cooling is going to work. I did see Colin mentions elsewhere he's installing a tractor trailer unit so maybe we'll get the scoop on that one too.

Dometic WAECO International - Split air conditioners
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Ha, hadn't thought about DANHARD in years, 37 to be precise, as I worked down Dilido Rd after high school (the girls at the local Sears warehouse found it extraordinarily funny to delete the second "i" letter on receipts).

A split system on a TT sure seems a solution to an almost non-existent problem, to me. Aesthetic considerations aside, the placement (air distribution and balance on TT axles), light weight, and low price on RV units sure seems to mitigate other approaches. Living in a place where even [2] 15k BYU rated units can have a hard time I'd tend more toward serviceable units over other types. But high hours and hard use would make any unit -- used on the road -- more likely to need replacing fairly soon.

Truck/car HVAC systems are about good enough for 6-7 years before full replacement is needed. I'd think long and hard about the cost associated with long term plans, here (decade or more). I also worked briefly in a truck reefer shop (THERMOKING) and even those HD components (2-cyl diesel compressors) suffered on air ride trailers pulled by air ride tractors. LIfe is limited, even there.

I work in trucking at present, again. There are more and more APU's being used in trucking with cab HVAC systems separate from the vehicle. Doesn't take much dust or just some gravel to start wiping out components. Be careful, IOW.

And I posted primarily because I appreciate the time and effort involved, so, thanks. Alternatives are always worth exploring.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks Slow, your analysis is one the money. It's the aesthetic that's the sticking point , I could deal with the interior assembly but the bump on the roof is tricky. I'm trying to come up with a parallel but for me it's a bit like buying a 15th Century thatched roof cottage and laying a big concrete driveway up to it; it probably makes good sense but just isn't for me.

(note I don't have a 15th anything unfortunately)

It's good to get your knowledge on the cab style splits; I'd hoped to hear stories of them logging a million miles before needed a dusting off but real world feedback is better. I definitely don't want to install a kit that fails or is obsolete too fast unless it's dirt cheap and it's only the modules that I need to exchange.

So far it seems the LG system is the Airstream split of choice being the only two set ups I'm now aware of on Airforums so I suppose it's not such a big risk $ wise.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
An idea you may have already considered, but others may have not, is an aluminum A/C cover as with the old units (1960's). I sadly passed on one that came off a Streamline as I did not have storage for it. Variations of an aluminum cover, of may shapes, could be done that might not look so weird. Airplance streamlining is always an inspiration; mainly, sizing up to a degree and significantly lengthening this shroud.

And there is always my favorite solution, paint to match the trailer skin. On a new low-profile Mach 8 this would be the way to go.

I have a big trailer, and the roof is enormous. Plenty of stuff up there and more to come. It is far more of a challenge on the small TT's to keep things looking balanced, by comparison, as the items on a big roof are offset by sheer TT length.

Look forward to what those who post here come up with.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
memory trigger

Hey, I think I've figured out why I dislike the roof mounted stuff so much! This is what came on the Overlander when I bought her. Now if I could come to terms with the swamp cooler look I could stash a ton of AC up there maybe even a small terrace. Nope, I just can't do it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000880_2.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	205038  
Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
Hey, I think I've figured out why I dislike the roof mounted stuff so much! This is what came on the Overlander when I bought her. Now if I could come to terms with the swamp cooler look I could stash a ton of AC up there maybe even a small terrace. Nope, I just can't do it...
Thats great- love it!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Details

For those following along I got some good stuff today:
A new Dometic 14K truck split system, $3445 inc freight
The same but refurbished, $1635 inc freight
And an outsider crept in, this Coleman RV 2 Ton set up comes in at under $2k including freight and was recommended for my long trailer application as the 14K btu unit is going to struggle with so much trailer.

It's much heavier at about 200 lbs so I'd have to site it around the axles, balanced out with 200 lbs of kit such as batteries on the opposite side. The "grill" viewable from the side would also be quite sizeable at about 34" long and 18" high. Not a deal breaker for me but it takes up a huge amount of inside trailer space. Food for thought though…

I'd asked them to help me understand why a designed for travel product was going to suit me better $ wise than a residential split and got this back which I think was decent feedback:

The best explanation on the difference in pricing over a standard split
residential type system is, that ours will hold together after years of beating and pounding from going down the highway.

From our 39 years of experience with selling specially HVAC systems for
vehicles, trailers and semi trucks, the residential units will have broken refrigerant lines and failed electronics, just from the abuse taken from our lovely highways.

Sales blurb below:

Powerful cooling and heating in one package.

The Two Ton High Efficiency™ RV Central Heat Pump. You won't see it on the RV, because this alternative to rooftop air conditioning installs completely out of sight on or underneath the floor of the RV.

You can customize the installation to locate the unit where it works best in your particular RV application, and can also tailor the air distribution system to fit your design requirements. It also contributes to a lower center of gravity, enhancing the overall stability of the vehicle.

The Two Ton High Efficiency™ Heat Pump is unique because it features two high-efficiency compressors in a single packaged unit. It automatically cycles on one or both compressors, as required, to meet your air conditioning or heating needs. In the heating mode, the Two Ton High Efficiency™ Heat Pump uses electricity to provide heat when temperatures are moderate.
Attached Images