Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
2019 25' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Smile Solved: Air Conditioning Drip Hose Clogged

A few days ago we parked, plugged in, turned everything on, got the chairs out and set out to relax. That's when I noticed water dribbling out the lower refrigerator external vent. I jumped to check the frig thinking it was off and defrosting. When I opened the vent door, the floor was covered with 1/4" of water. Having recently had partial floor replacement at JC last fall, I was totally worried. When I went inside the wall on the curb side was wet (we have that covered fabric wall), and there was now a slight drip from the AC. This was bad....I am definitely paranoid about any water inside the trailer

The Solution: I took the inside cover off of the A/C. I was happy to see the drain tube is plainly visible and held in place by a hose clamp. I got a screwdriver, removed the clamp --- lots of water came out that we caught in a bucket. Fortunately, I have in my truck left over clothes line wire that I was saving for some occasion. This gave me a perfect "rooter" to snake through the drain hose and out the end at the wheel well. I put everything back together and we were fixed.

One concern....what if we had turned everthing on, got in our truck and run off somewhere. We would have had a real mess by the time we got back because all the water was going inside the trailer, mostly down the wall behind the A/C and to the floor below. Lesson...check your drip hose.
TankerIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Mine clogged while I was at the beach last week. I had to go lay on the ground and use some home made air pressure to blow it open. It worked. It was a better experience than trying to syphon gasoline up a hose! Now I need to pull the AC apart and clean out the pan as what ever was there, is still up there I would think.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TankerIP View Post
Lesson...check your drip hose.
Good point. Drip pans can be a haven for slime/mulm and your suggestion is a great maintenance tip as we tend to ignore this until a backup such as yours occurs. Glad to hear that you caught it early and (hopefully) didn't suffer any long term harm.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Ha! I did the "homemade air pressure" myself, one time. Hope not to do it again.

Good job, Soyboy.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water leak, air conditioning