Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbcole View Post
If you don't install the condensate pump, the condensation accumulates and drains to the outside of the unit down the side of the trailer, not inside. The weeks I have run mine, constantly might I add on low fan always, we have dogs inside, it has never even hinted at freezing up, and at 3/4 on the cool button. It cycles as it should. Judge for yourself on the air handler box. I like it.
Nice install Jimbcole- Man that thing is SHINY inside- very cool!

Thats good to know that if the pump fails, it just spills out onto the roof of the coach.... That's what I like to hear.

So there is no gravity drain out of the pan, huh? Everything is either pumped out clean, or spills outside? No way for a pan full of water to spill "into" the coach?
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #22
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Atwood A/C

Installed an Atwood 15,000 this summer---it has a heat pump --- talk about quiet---you don't have to raise the volumn of the TV when it comes on ---outside you cannot hear it running---can't believe how great
It cool the trailer. Did not know Atwood made an AC ---check it out it will make a believer out of you.
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
I thought both the Penguin II Duo Therm and the Mach 8 control the fan and compressor by the thermostat "IF" it is set to "Auto". If it set to Hi or Low, then the fan will run in either setting, while the compressor kicks in and out as needed to maintain temp.

Can anyone confirm?
That's the way mine works.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubill57 View Post
Installed an Atwood 15,000 this summer---it has a heat pump --- talk about quiet---you don't have to raise the volumn of the TV when it comes on ---outside you cannot hear it running---can't believe how great
It cool the trailer. Did not know Atwood made an AC ---check it out it will make a believer out of you.
First I've heard of that... Is it the Command like this one HERE?

I didn't really search, just used the first one I found, but $689 complete with Air box, roof top and remote is not bad. I know nothing about them though.... Does it not use a wall mount thermostat? Looks like its built into the ceiling unit?

Wonder what db level the noise is- wish they included that in specs. I saw one post where a member recorded 58 db on his Mach 8 from the outside, which he said was loud....
Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I few months ago I was in the process of replacing the two 8 year old Penguin AC's on my Airstream 396 XL motor home. My 1st choice was the new model Dometic Penguin II 15,000 BTU units. I had heard of some issues on another forum that had come up with the new Penguin II units and was looking in to the Dometic Brisk II Air units as an alternative. Lewster posted in post # 2 http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...er-106384.html with more detailed information on the Penguin II issues that related to the a problem with the R-410A refrigerant that is required now for air conditioners. Maybe he will see this thread and provide an update. I ended up installing the Brisk II Air units and could not be happier with the cooling and sound level. These are not low profile but on the motor home I wanted the best cooling and noise level that I could get. I have talked with my local RV service shop and they say the Penguin II issues still comes up on some installs that they made. In any case you may want to check this out for yourself it may now be resolved.

Good luck
Old 09-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I installed the 15k Penguin II this Spring. It is much louder than the Penguin I 13.5 unit it replaced. My old pan was cracked, so I went with the cups. I like them much better. You place a single 1" gasket on the roof, then place a second 1" gasket on top of that one which you make cutouts for the hoses from the cups. The hoses run to a "T" fitting which connects to the original internal drain line.

With the upgrade of the Penguin II it was cheaper to get a new Comfort Control Center II than add the components to make it work with the original Comfort Control Center. There are fan settings of Auto, Low, High. When on Low and High, the fan runs continuously and in the compressor cycles. In Auto, they cycle together.

Note: My unit has the heat pump also. Some friends installed the PenguinII A/C only 15K unit and it is much quieter than mine and blows colder air. Bad expensive decision on my part.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Well one thing I can clarify for myself and anyone else who caught my first post....

Part of this thread was/is to determine if the Mach 8 is worth the $1000 price point VS the Penguin $750 price point....

However, I am seeing now that the Penguin I was looking at was the "cool only" model 641916, where the proper comparison is the Penguin "Heat Pump" Model 651916 is also right at the $1000 price point.

So with price being relatively equal, this comes down to reliability and performance.

Is there a concern with the Mach 8 being relatively new product? Which company & product has been around longer? Which has best warranty, customer service, parts availability, etc?

A post earlier suggest the Armstrong is an oldie but a goodie. That says alot about a product. However, mine is filthy, and looks terrible on top of my shell off restored Airstream...

More food for thought...
Old 09-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Aviator- how does the CCC2 work? Is that only for multiple ac units, so you can control them from one master panel? Or does it give you more options???

When I first saw it, I was thinking it was so I could locate separate temp sensors in the bunk area, vs the front gaucho/ dining area, etc. but that doesn't make much sense...
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post

Note: My unit has the heat pump also. Some friends installed the PenguinII A/C only 15K unit and it is much quieter than mine and blows colder air. Bad expensive decision on my part.
Interesting! In hindsight you would rather have done the "cool only" model?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Jimbcole- Very nice install.
Thanks!
Jimbcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Quote:

Nice install Jimbcole- Man that thing is SHINY inside- very cool!

Thats good to know that if the pump fails, it just spills out onto the roof of the coach.... That's what I like to hear.

So there is no gravity drain out of the pan, huh? Everything is either pumped out clean, or spills outside? No way for a pan full of water to spill "into" the coach?
Correct! Spills to the outside! Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1958 17' Pacer
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tryon , North Carolina
Quote:
I thought both the Penguin II Duo Therm and the Mach 8 control the fan and compressor by the thermostat "IF" it is set to "Auto". If it set to Hi or Low, then the fan will run in either setting, while the compressor kicks in and out as needed to maintain temp.

Can anyone confirm?
If you have it set on low cool, with it at the coldest setting, and the interior reaches the desired temperature. (Which it does quickly) the condenser fan cuts off along with the compressor. The interior blower fan continues to run. When the temp rises on the inside, the compressor turns back on, along with the condenser fan, and condensate pump.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
about the Atwood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubill57 View Post
Thanks for the information! I've been wondering about the Atwood since I heard of it in the spring. Do you have a picture of it mounted?

Philip
Old 09-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Yes, I would have rather saved the dollars and noise and gone with the A/C only unit. When it is chilly outside, we use a couple of quartz heaters in the front and rear of the Airstream which gives us quiet even heat. The quartz heaters work down to and below temps where the heat pump no longer works and the furnace is needed. Thus the heat pump ends up not being used.

Cup drains. In the event your drain tube becomes plugged, there are overflow drains at the top edge which is located outside the gasket area and would allow water to flow onto the roof, then run off. The "pan" works much the same. The thing I like about the cups is that they are a smaller area, and I don't believe they will be as prone to cracking as the pans are. Most of the older pans I have seen had multiple caulk lines to cover leaks out onto the trailer roof. Each new caulk line interfered with the natural flow of the water by creating an uneven surface. From reading other threads on the subject, the consensus was that eventually all pans leak, and may leak in a spot which brings water into the coach. With the cups, they are always outside the sealed gasket area which prevents the possibility of leaks into the coach.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #35
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Keep your Armstrong

Quote:
Which of these units has best cooling, easiest install, and quiet operation?

I'm going to bite the bullet and replace my AC while I've got everything torn apart. My original AC is working, but I figure its destined to go out at some point, so might as well do it now.

Plus, I'm assuming a new unit will be far more efficient- especially if I upgrade to 15k BTU.

In reading all the posts about these units, I'm still unclear on which is right for me.

The Penguin seems to have solid & consistent positive reviews. I'm not quite certain if there are any condensation drain pan issues, because I've read some posts that indicate they are using different pans, or possibly another design with "cups" or something.... Another member posted that the drain cups are visible from the ground and dont look good aesthetically. At the $750 price point for the 15k heat pump, this seems to be a great value.

Mach 8 looks to be too new to get a good feel for reliability. Posts I've read indicate a simple fiberglass drain pan, and simple 4 bolt installation. However, I'm reading mixed reviews as to whether the noise level is problematic. Not sure if a condensate pump is a potential point of failure, maybe its a non-issue. I know that in a home AC system, they are prone to failure and cause for water damage. The price point for the Mach 8 is right at $1000- quite a bit more than the Penguin.

In the end, I'm inclined to think that the cooling and heating performance between the two is comparable. However the Mach 8 is louder on the outside of the coach, and its $250 more expensive. Weight differential between the 2 is only 15 lbs. The Mach 8 is 1" lower profile.

Am I missing something that makes the Mach 8 more attractive? Ease of installation differences? Reliability? Service & Repair availability?

As always- love your input!
Thanks!
Mic
I think you'd be very disappointed comparing any new unit to a properly functioning Armstrong. Keep what you have and, if it breaks, get it fixed.
They were built to last, unlike new RV air-conditioners.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I think you'd be very disappointed comparing any new unit to a properly functioning Armstrong. Keep what you have and, if it breaks, get it fixed.
They were built to last, unlike new RV air-conditioners.
My impression is the coup de grace for Armstrongs is when they finally go parts are unavailable and they use the real stuff for coolant, Freon, which is a no no. Am I right?

I agree if your Armstrong is still working keep it!
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #37
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
Atwood A/C

I noticed that Camping World is now selling the Atwood-----in the details it says the 13,500 will work on a 2,000 watt generater ? I have the 15,000 and will put it up against any A/C out there, lowest db of any unit i have ever heard. Any it cools faster than any unit I have ever had. The remote control is standard and easy to use. Check it out and see what you think.
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Just spent 4 days in 105 degree heat in Yuma, CO. Blistering sun and no shade. They parked us broadside to the hot afternoon sun.
The 40 year old Armstrong kept it bearable inside. Somewhere between 80-85f. It's pretty loud though.
I don't know if the unit could use a charge. The PO built an exterior shroud (not pretty) and riveted it to the roof. So access is not convenient.
Somewhere here there is a thread on upgrading the old units. Just can't find it right now.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #39

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
My impression is the coup de grace for Armstrongs is when they finally go parts are unavailable and they use the real stuff for coolant, Freon, which is a no no. Am I right?

I agree if your Armstrong is still working keep it!
Replacements for the compressor and fan motors are available and all the electrical parts like capacitors and such are generic, there's a parts list in a thread written by a guy who not only rebuilt his Armstrong, but made it a heat pump in the process!

Armstrong units don't use R-12 (the unobtainium formula that was used in old automotive AC units) they use R-22. This can still be manufactured, but newly-manufactured units aren't supposed to use it anymore. They can still make the refrigerant until 2020, and can continue to use recovered/recycled R-22 even after that.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
On my dometic penguin unit, the fan runs a constant low or high speed with a variable cooling temp. I do not see how it could be any other way. If you consider the size of space we are cooling to the BTU calculation formula AND factor in the lowest insulation rating, a 25' Airstream requires only 6000 or so BTU to cool it. One thing that happens is that if AC units are too large the humidity (in a humid climate) is a dead give away to inefficiency. The unit cools the space before pulling the moisture down to a comfortable level. The space becomes cool and damp. The only solution is to increase air circulation to somewhat counter the effect or get a smaller unit. The formula accounts for heat radiation, volume, insulation, etc, etc. Nonetheless, RV owners want bigger units.

When I first got my AS I took it on a camping trip with a day ambient temp in the nineties with one of those almost ready to rain feeling weekends. I had a temp gauge and humidity gauge inside. On low fan max cool the unit cooled the camper down to about 68-69 but it was damp. About six hours later it froze up. I let it thaw and then set the fan to high and temp to mid point. The inside temp went to about 78 degrees F and humidity lowered to the low sixties (percent). Obviously the AC was working fantastically to get such a low temp in a hot environment (I thought 20 degree diff was a limit) and it did not freeze up the rest of the weekend - more circulation took care of that.

What about the type of cooling unit rather than brand? AC is great for humid climates but what about dry areas? I always thought they use swamp coolers or other devices- heat pumps, etc. Are there different devices for RVs? This may also be the reason that people talk about their cooling units barely working, etc. Just a thought.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote