Old 05-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1961 16' Bambi
Rowley , Massachusetts
Small Rooftop Air Conditioner AC Options. Please help!

Hi Folks,

I am deep into the restoration of my 1963 Bambi. I am at a point where I am carefully considering a rooftop air conditioner to install on top. I decided that an AC will be necessary for how I plan to be using the trailer. I have extensively shopped the US market of 110V rooftop air conditioners, and have been a bit frustrated with the limited options that are available. In short, the smallest available rooftop AC units (9,200, 11,000, 13,500 and 15,000 BTU) are all much bigger than I would prefer to install. I have a tiny 13ft trailer cabin, and it seems like I am going to be forced to put a behemoth AC on the roof that will end up being far more power than I will ever need or want, and will also have a huge footprint on the roof. I wish I could just have a normal 5000 BTU AC, like the size of home ACs, that was designed for a rooftop. I donít want to cut a hole in the side of the airstream to accommodate one of the home-style window ACís, so my options seem to be limited. I have researched the use of an AC with my Honda EU2000i, and it seems like there are effective ways to run a 9,200 or 11,000 BTU unit, without too much trouble, but I just donít feel good about it. If pressed, I would probably end up buying this one: Polar Cub 9,200 BTU - Coleman-Mach Air Conditioner - Rv Products - Air Conditioners - Camping World

From searching the interweb, I have found that in Europe and Australia, companies I am familiar with, like Dometic, make much smaller Rooftop AC Units available. For instance, I would love to buy the Dometic Freshjet 1100, but it appears that this perfectly tiny rooftop air conditioner is only available in a 230v model.

My question to the experts on here are:

Are these tiny rooftop AC units in any way available in the US? If no, why not?

Does anyone have any experience trying to import a small European or Australian Rooftop AC to the US?

Is it realistic to use some sort of 230v to 110v converter/adapter to power one of these ACs within my Bambi?

I really appreciate any feedback from folks on these forums that have some specific knowledge on the topic. I have spared no expense on time or $ in the renovation of this trailer, and I really want to get the right AC for the job. I have seen the Penguins and the Mach 8 installed on Bambiís, and it just looks too big to me. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your time!

Trestrey is offline   Reply With Quote