Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Hemet , California
Question Small or Large Penquin

I am considering replacing my 90-91 vintage 13,500btu Dometic Penquin model air conditioner as it has been used lots in the past and seems loud and to not cool very well anymore.
Also, my new Honda eu3000 generator overloads quickly when I try to use the air. (I know, the Dometic manual recommends a 3.5kW generator, which the Honda isn't )
I wonder if anyone has a new Penquin of the 13,500kW variety who also has the same Honda and finds that the generator runs without any problems?
I also wonder if the lowered amps required by a new air conditioner would allow me to run the Honda even at some altitude?
Also, does anyone have the 11,000 btu Penquin model? Does it cool your trailer adequately? I have calculated that the 11,000 btu model would operate easily when powered by the Honda eu3000 but wonder if I would be giving up too much cooling by downsizing.
Thanks for any help here.
Decision time is this week as we have another trip planned soon.
"The key to flexibility is indecision"
GoldFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 02:25 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I would stick with the 13.5 unit. Personally I have felt that the 13.5 is undersized when dealing with full sun hot conditions in my 27' Safari. Your Honda may be overloading because of a problem with your current unit.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Hemet , California
Thumbs up

We (my wife and I) have decided to replace the 11 to 12 year-old 13,500 BTU unit (Penquin model which draws 12.4 running amps) with the new Brisk Air High Efficiency model 13,500 BTU unit that draws only 9.9 running amps. The biggest difference is that the old model required a 3.5kW generator while the new BrAHiEff only requires a 2.0kW generator; quite a difference! Other than it looks different than the low-profile Penquin model, it should run just fine even when using other energy drawing devices.
We should be happy with this change. We most likely would have had to replace the unit sooner or later as it was getting loud and not cooling as well. Now.....what to do with the old unit? Any suggestions?
Old 07-14-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have the 11k Penguin. It does a great job with my 19'. In direct sun, it isn't too bad, but if I had to do it over, I agree with Jack. The 13k unit might be better. If you have more than a trailer the size of Jack's or even Jack's size, perhaps the 15k unit might even be better.

Of course with each bump up, more power is needed, but if you want to be cool and comfy....when in Rome...

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 09:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by gnorgan
We (my wife and I) have decided to replace the 11 to 12 year-old 13,500 BTU unit (Penquin model which draws 12.4 running amps) with the new Brisk Air High Efficiency model 13,500 BTU unit that draws only 9.9 running amps. The biggest difference is that the old model required a 3.5kW generator while the new BrAHiEff only requires a 2.0kW generator; quite a difference! Other than it looks different than the low-profile Penquin model, it should run just fine even when using other energy drawing devices.
We should be happy with this change. We most likely would have had to replace the unit sooner or later as it was getting loud and not cooling as well. Now.....what to do with the old unit? Any suggestions?
If I wasn't on the other side of the country I would be interested in the old unit. Shipping would break the deal.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 06:18 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The Brisk Air is a good unit. I had one on my SOB. The only issue would be if it would fit in the exisitng pan or if there is a drain pan for that specific unit. If not you will discharge water down the sides of your trailer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 07:54 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Hemet , California
Thanks, Jack, for the advice re: pan size. I emailed the Dometic people to see if I'd have any install problems. Hope to get reply tomorrow morning. Otherwise, it looks to be about the same size footprint as the old Penquin. I am also concerned about the drain pipe situation so asked about that, too.

To the "Toaster" owner: I will call the shippers tomorrow morning just to see what it would cost....to ship to Georgia? That is a long way

Maybe I can set it up to cool my shop down....it's averaging 102-106 here lately

Thanks again to all for your advice on this matter.
Old 07-16-2003, 04:11 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Hemet , California
Dometic emailed back and were not much help. Their answer was sort of non-committal, as if they didn't really know whether it would work or not. Said I'd have to rely on the RV installer guys to tell me whether it would actually hook up to the existing wiring, etc. I think the new unit will come with it's own pan???

BTW, to the "Toaster" guy: I called the UPS people about shipping to Georgia, or the east coast....costs around $120 not including the materials I'd use to actually pack it in as I don't think I'd get away with a big cardboard box loaded with styrofoam peanuts and duct tape, do you? Anyway, I will list it in the for sale section of the website...who knows, maybe someone near here will have a need for it.

BTW, my price? Cheap....I don't need this sitting in my garage...I already have lots of stuff taking up space already

....but if you want to have it sent across the country....
Old 07-16-2003, 04:21 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
With the Brisk Air it will not have a pan that will connect into the Airstream drain. If it has a pan from Dometic it will drain on the roof. Airstream is who designed the pan for the Penguin.

When Airstream used them on the Cutter MH in 98,99 or the Land Yacht 98,99 they did not list a pan as one of the parts. In the trailer they show the pan as one of the parts.

I would try to confirm the footprint of the two units to see if the Brisk Air is going to fit in the pan.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Hemet , California
Thanks, Brett. I guess I will have to do some quick talking to the RV installers tomorrow morning. Hope it somehow fits the pan that is under the present unit. Should be interesting. Just one more detail to worry about I guess. Who said life would be easy anyway?
I forget who said "Delay is preferable to error." Maybe I should have waited a little longer to do this air conditioning job.
Anyway, tonight I will probably think about this saying: "Worry is interest paid on trouble before it is due." I'll know in the morning if I will have any.
Cheers.