Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
Size A/C? Low Profile pros/cons? brand comparison

More A/C questions:

For a 25' Tradewind, is the 13.5k BTU a good size? (Been looking for a selection chart somewhere, but to no avail.)

What are pros/cons of Low Profile vs. regular (is it just "looks"? Do I need to spend the big money for just looks? or is there an issue I'm missing?) (oh, geez, I'm "missing" lots, I know, but on *this* issue, that is!!!)

Am considering the Carrier 13.5k BTU (there's still some around).

So, just to check my understanding:
Carrier doesn't need the drain pan
Dometic Penguin needs a drain pan (available thru Airstream)
Coleman...?? What issues does it have? or should I not even consider it?

Thanks, Zep, for the help the other day when I posted in the "Carrier exiting" thread.

By the Bay

Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by By the Bay View Post
More A/C questions:
For a 25' Tradewind, is the 13.5k BTU a good size? (Been looking for a selection chart somewhere, but to no avail.)
I've never seen anyone complain that their 13.5kbtu/h ac doesn't cool the trailer. People sometimes wish they had two, for better distribution of cold air.

Quote:
What are pros/cons of Low Profile vs. regular (is it just "looks"? Do I need to spend the big money for just looks? or is there an issue I'm missing?) (oh, geez, I'm "missing" lots, I know, but on *this* issue, that is!!!)
- fuel economy while towing
- overhead clearance (e.g. garage door)
- looks matter too

Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
By the Bay,

For an Airstream I would steer clear of the Coleman units, they use an external drain that will run water down the side of your Airstream. It will eventually cause issues with the metal. IIRC the factory is currently using Duo Therm which has the drip pan available to route the condensation to the ground via the internal drain. That would be my choice. If there isn't much of a price difference between the 13.5k and 15k btu units I would go with the larger one just because. You can always turn the air off or warm it up, but once it hits a certain point it will not get any colder, which in some parts of the country is an issue.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Apparently my information on the Coleman units is a bit out of date. The Coleman units I am familiar with are the old Mach units and they dumped condensate directly on the roof with some very undesirable results.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Wallisville , Texas
13.5kbtu/h - Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I've never seen anyone complain that their 13.5kbtu/h ac doesn't cool the trailer. People sometimes wish they had two, for better distribution of cold air.
For The Record...We own a 25', '08 International CCD Ocean Breeze. It came from the factory with a 13.5k Dometic Penguin AC unit. It DOES NOT sufficiently cool the interior of our camper. I've had the unit checked out and serviced twice by our dealer since purchasing. I was told each time that their is nothing wrong with the unit. We also monitor voltage ranges at each campground. Most are well within acceptable ranges. If they are not, we simply do not run the AC for fear of premature compressor failure.

Please note that we frequently camp in a typically hot and humid region (Texas) where 100-110 degree heat with 90-100% humidity is very common during the Summer months.

After doing some research on a suitable AC unit replacement, I purchased a Carrier 15k unit. I hope to soon install it once I finish my Progressive Dynamics 9260C Charger/Converter upgrade, which is another thread in itself.

Joe