Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Shroud Necessary??

I have a Carrier AC unit that is about two years old. Is a shroud necessary, or is the plastic covering the unit called a shroud? Should I buy a shroud to go over the existing AC unit to "seal it from the elements" or is a vinyl cover adequate? What is the purpose of an after market shroud? It looks like the older units needed these "shrouds" to protect the AC unit as if they were bear underneath?
thanks in advance
James
Old 06-06-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Shroud or not to shroud.

A picture would help in clarifying your question. If you are speaking of the cover which the roof mounted unit has installed from the factory it is absolutely necessary. The cover/shroud protects the unit from damage from UV light, debris, varmints, and weather. The shroud plays a part in proper air ducting and circulation to keep the unit working efficiently.

I you are speaking of a light plastic cover of the type which you cover you bar-b-q pit, which is what I think you are speaking of, then not so much.

Of course anything you do to limit UV exposer to your trailer will help it last longer and stay nice looking. Sun eats up PVC plastic if you investigate you will find PVC is normally not UV rated and many items manufactured are not rated for UV exposer. My vents on my trailer would barley last a year, I started painting them with marine paint to extend their life span.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones View Post
I have a Carrier AC unit that is about two years old. Is a shroud necessary, or is the plastic covering the unit called a shroud? Should I buy a shroud to go over the existing AC unit to "seal it from the elements" or is a vinyl cover adequate? What is the purpose of an after market shroud? It looks like the older units needed these "shrouds" to protect the AC unit as if they were bear underneath?
thanks in advance
James
All RV AC shrouds, are for cosmetic purposes.

However, in their absence, UV could have an ill effect on some other parts, that the shroud normally shields.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
From my experience with my Penguin A/C, its shroud is not entirely cosmetic. When my original cracked from UV, I found that the replacement shroud came with sticky backed foam which is used to seal the shroud against the metal frame of the AC unit. In the Penguin this creates specific air flow that does affect the performance of the AC unit.

This is the first AC unit I've ever encountered where the shroud plays an important function other than just being a cover.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Here is what I have mounted on top of our AS as is no shroud. Should we get one?
thanks
James
Old 06-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Here is what I have mounted on top of our AS as is no shroud. Should we get one?
thanks
James
Now with the picture.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Now with the picture.
That photo shows a shroud. The white cover is it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
The shroud of uncertianity.

I think he may be asking about a cover to go over the existing unit, a shroud for the shroud. If that is the case it will protect the installed shroud but I would think the that they are UV restraint form the factory, An additional shroud wold protector the condenser fins from damage to a minor extent.

In some models the shroud will influence the airflow, but more importantly it keeps moisture and UV from the wiring and controls it may also help with insect control, limiting the size of the nest the wasp can build which is a good reason for a shroud for the shroud.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
If you are looking for a cover to protect the unit in the off season when it is stored, yes you can get a soft cover for it. I see a lot of Coleman shrouds scattered along the highways, but seldom see the Carrier ones, replacement shrouds are available. Yes you should have a shroud for the unit to operate correctly, but you don't have to have a cover to protect the shroud itself.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I needed a shroud for the existing unit. It looked to me like the shrouds on other AS "sealed" the existing AC units in from elements because they had only an opening for the intake and exit of air where mine is vented all the way around. I have a soft cover to go over it when stored and that should do it.
James
Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I needed a shroud for the existing unit. It looked to me like the shrouds on other AS "sealed" the existing AC units in from elements because they had only an opening for the intake and exit of air where mine is vented all the way around. I have a soft cover to go over it when stored and that should do it.
James
James,
That is probably some of the older units or a different brand ie: Coleman. I have a Coleman Mach on my popup and it likes to shed covers at highway speeds My buddy with a carrier hasn't lost one yet!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
For a minute there, we were all shrouded in mystery !