Old 01-25-2006, 11:31 PM   #15
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hi Inland RV has a sale on them right now for a 1979 AC shroud 2 piece fiberglass for 225.00 part #6983

Old 01-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #16
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Hi again mistake on part # correct # is 69831

Old 01-26-2006, 12:01 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
David

Land YACHT.... You've got yaght on your signature. Not trying to be the spelling police, but I thought you'd like to have your lovely Airstream represented correctly. Tin Liz
Old 01-26-2006, 12:10 AM   #18
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Tin Liz Thanks

I just cracked up when you pointed that out thanks, they sent me to school and thats all I have to say about that.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
I restored an old house. Over it!
It'll only take $30.... Reality Check... It will always take 4 additional trips to the hardware store and an Extra $25 to finish your $30 project. And don't forget the do overs and tweaks as you learn through sweat equity. Then there's the trip to the emergency room... but it's only seven stitches and an aluminum finger splint that makes you look like you're making a most unladylike gesture all the time.

In the end the $300 cover may be cheaper.

You've gotta decide which you have more of: time or money - and be very realistic about your patience and skill level. There are 1000 projects to complete the restoration of any vintage Airstream. Even if you are very skilled and have family members who'll help, sometimes being "handy with a checkbook" is the best way to do it yourself.

To quote my dear departed Aunt Jean who called her Airstream The Silver Suppository "Of course I make cakes from scratch.... I just scratch open the box with my thumbnail..."

Whatever you do, have FUN. Good luck and good night.

Tin Lizzie
Tin Lizzie,
I can relate to what you are saying. Its a 50 mile round trip for us just to go to the grocery store. 20 miles of that 50 is dirt/gravel and sometimes mud! We have learn to get what we need when we are out. But I have also learn to get by without a lot as well. I also have a good supply of repair items on hand as well as tools and a nice size shop. We really have enjoyed this winter working on the coach. I know it is easy to just buy something new but I also enjoy making some things by hand as well. It gives me a lot of pleasure to know I was able to repair or rebuild something that someone else would have just thrown away and got a new one. Sort of like what a lot of people do to these old Airstreams. I loved what you said about the airstream restore being 1000 projects-this is very true!!!
mtnman
Old 01-26-2006, 09:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
guess mtnman didn't see my offer?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
guess mtnman didn't see my offer?
Oh yes I did, you have a message on your home telephone from me! I am ready to ride over to Vale.
mtnman
Old 01-26-2006, 04:48 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
mtnman,

The shroud IS necessary. It provides rain protection, keeps debris out of the condenser and evaporator and if sealed properly, channels the cool air into the T/T and keeps it separated from the warm air exiting (return air). Plus they suffer from extreme inefficiency without a shroud. You might look at Maxx-Air. They have several replacement shrouds that are generic in nature and might just fit!
Attached is a picture of my AC with no shroud. It looks pretty well protected to me but I am going to get the shroud from Kev!
mtnman
Old 01-26-2006, 04:52 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
could not get the pic attached?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I tried the pic again
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Fabrication

I bought a couple of Fiber Glass kits and laid them over the exicitiing shroud. I had enough of the shroud left to support the fibergalss cloth.
Worked real well and saved me a couple hundred dollars.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Mtnman,
Were you able to pick up a shroud for your Armstrong from Silverhobby? If not, let me know. I have the same AC on my 75 Argosy. I have two right now. One needs minor reinforcement work (which I will keep for myself), and the other (which needs extensive work) I will gladly give you for the cost of shipping. Warning: Shipping these from ANYWHERE (dealer or individual) will cost over $100. Don't despair. There's enough kind hearts on this forum who would rather see you have a good shroud than make a buck from you. It'll happen for you.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Shroud repair

The shroud on my 71 had large pieces missing at the corners and edges. I taped in temporary pieces out of cardboard (flexible plastic would be better) which served as supports for a layer of fiberglass (fabric not mat) I then spray painted in with aluminum hardware store aerosol paint. It is still brittle and living on borrowed time but I have gotten a few more years out of it and looks like it will last a few more. The aluminum colored shroud actually looks good, from a distance at least.