Old 12-28-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Sealing the exterior vent?

I need to reinstall a stock Suburban NT22A furnace which was removed from a 71 Tade Wind. The sevice manual has the cryptic warning "Caution: Make sure the exterior vent is sealed". but not one word about how.

Also can I use hardware store foam door tape to seal where the furnace cabinet meets the coach skin?
Thanks,
marsh

Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I would suggest the Vulkem which is a urethane cauking compound. You do not need to use very much, as it simply seals the potential for a water leak into the coach from water running down the side. The exhaust gasses from the furnace are sealed by the internal gasketing.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Question Sealing the exterior vent

I assume then that at the point where the furnace exhaust exits the coach (the exterior vent) it is not too hot do use Vulkem or another type caulk?

Should I put a little Vulkem on both the exhaust vent adapter where it meets the skin and the exterior chrome vent cap?

I also am not clear what the exterior vent cap screws in to. There are 2 holes on the top of the interior vent cap adapter, and I have 2 screw clips which look like they might go there, but I don't see where the lower 2 screws attach to anything. One thought I had was to put a dab of Liquid Nails on the lower screw holes on the skin so the screws can get a little purchase.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Marshall,

I've installed two NT-30s within the last year but the exterior vent grill was slightly different than the orginal, so I had to drill new holes at the bottom. They had no problem gripping, obviously.

I just finished installing the second one last week.

I'm trying to remember what the original looked like....

Are the intake and exhaust tubes one piece? (On the new ones, the intake is comes separate from the exhaust and is mounted separately before installing grill with exhaust tube. (See pics below)

The 6 screws which hold the grill should grab the skin. (You may need larger diameter screws. I think the top ones may also grab the exhaust from the inside or it may be a center screw in the exhaust, like the new one (see pic)

Again, it was a year ago when I removed the old one so I really can't remember. I know that the original was similar, but not the same as the new one.

Not sure if this helps much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furnacevent.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	30184   Click image for larger version

Name:	furnacevent1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	30185  

PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Thanks Pizza Chop
The vent cap is one piece. 2 screw holes on the top which go through the skin and attach to the vent cap adapter which is attached to the exhaust pipe. The vent cap is similar to your bottom photo but only has 4 screw holes.

On the furnace the intake tube is below the exhaust pipe and there is a soft rubber flange which butts with the inside of the skin.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Thats the point I am at is sealing the vent cover and exaust flange on my nt-22a.The dealer I bought some parts at gave me grey caulking tape and said thats what to use.After a good cleaning,recall mod. and inspection and reinstall It lit fine and all componets funtion fine.It gets pretty hot to the touch 1" around vent cover will caulking tape melt down.I havent picked up my vulcem order yet.Thanks robert