Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2019, 09:14 PM   #1

2021 22' Bambi
Portland , Arizona
Run Dometic Heat Pump and Furnace in Parallel

Dear Airstreamers,
My wife and I own a beautiful 2019 25 FBT Serenity Airstream. We are wondering why there isn’t a program (function) of the Dometic thermostat that allows control of the furnace AND heat pump to work at the same time? A question to the forum - what mods need to take place to the thermostat and/or the control board to set up a program that supports exactly such a function? Thank you all, Hans-Christian
hanschristia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I find my heat pump doesn't need additional heat assistance down to its functional lower limit. So I dont understand your presumed need for both at the same time. That said, the heat pump does take some time to raise a cold trailer to comfort level. In that case, I would run the furnace to quickly warm the trailer then switch to heat pump.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
The circuitry won't allow you to run the furnace and heat pump simultaneously.

If you really want to implement this, you would need to disconnect the furnace wiring from the control board in the Penguin AC/Heatpump and connect it to its own thermostat. You will have to change the dip switch settings on the AC/Heatpump to reflect that a furnace is no longer connected. You would also need a 12V source for the secondary thermostat.

The way your system is now, it will switch from heat pump to furnace below 37 degrees.

Question: To run the heat pump you have to have shore power, so why not have a small electric space heater for supplemental heat?

Below freezing you use the furnace as the primary heat source because the furnace ducting is routed around your tanks and will keep them from freezing.

Stay warm!!

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote