Old 05-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1960 24' Tradewind
Fairfield , Ohio
Replacing the A/C....Do it yourself or not so much?

I have a 1960 tradewind with the original A/C. It does not work at all and it is getting hot. I am currently doing the floor and working on the cabinetry. Can I install the A/C myself or should it be done by a pro? I am looking at the Carrier AirV. Our local RV place has it and the inside blower for $600 not installed. Labor is $110 / hr. I really need to keep the costs down so that the wife doesn't make me live in my under reconstruction second home. Any thoughts?

WcfdPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Dave, your 1960 did not come with an a/c originally, at least not from the factory. That point is important in that factory installed a/c units were riveted to the outer skin of the trailer, and would require a lot of effort to remove. Since yours didn't come that way, it is almost certain it has the standard RV install, which is clamped between inner and outer skins, making replacement a lot easier.
Inside you will find 3 or 4 bolts from the lower unit up through the upper unit, clamping the shell between the two halves. Remove the 120 volt wires from the lower unit, unplug the connectors from the lower unit to the upper unit, and unbolt the lower unit. It should fall onto the floor. The upper unit should pretty much lift off the roof, with a little encouragement in unsealing the unit fromt he roof (probably Vulkem or [shudder] silicone). The upper unit weighs about a hundred pounds, so exercise care lowering it to the ground, and lifting the new one. Clean the old sealant off the roof, apply fresh stuff, lower the new upper unit into place, and bolt up the lower unit. On the Carrier, the short bolts go in the front. Hook it to the 120 volt wiring, install the plastic cover on the bottom, and turn the unit on. If you did it right, you should be rewarded by cool air.

overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin

Well its going to be a little more that what was stated above.

If you have the old Armstrong you will have to cut the 14 X 14 inch hole to set a new one into. The Armstrong I replaced on my 68 had 3 holes going through the top, one for a line in, one out or up and one for the fan shaft. These holes are about 2 to 3 inches in size each.

I took my 68 to Camping World in MN after calling them and telling them what I had, they said NOOOOOOO PROBLEM!!!!! Then I go there and they said they would not install the new one because of the need to cut the 14 X 14 inch opening, they don't do that. So I took it home and did it myself. Came out OK. Remember the thing (if it is an Armstrong) is heavy, I put a big dent in the yard when I threw it off the roof!

Good Luck!
I'm NOT an old man.............
54 Flying Cloud
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Buy some beer and invite some friends over ,that will make it a lot easier. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I am in the process or replacing my Coleman Delta T 13,500 BTU from 1987 with a Carrier AiRV 15,000 BTU. So far, the hardest part has been getting the thing up on the roof. It is HEAVY!

That and Carrier seems to have offset the hole in the ceiling unit from the discharge hole in the upper unit and you have to warp the duct over to line it all up. Also, their directions are absolutely horrible. It'd be nice if somebody had a detailed install thread with pics. The illustrations in the Carrier book trying to explain the installation of the fabric duct leave MUCH to be desired.

But so far it isn't so bad. Go for it! That's not a bad price on that either. I got my unit for $475 (that's the 15,000 BTU standard height rooftop with electric strip heater and the ceiling unit) from Palomino RV. But you have to pay freight shipping which would be nearly $100 for that. I bought it in conjuntion with a new fridge and they put them on the same pallet and charged me $125 total to ship. But at any rate, if you can get it locally for $600 for both pieces, that's not too bad.

Have fun!
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote