Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
Replacing Armstrong with Duo-Therm question

I've been perusing the archives and recent posts about replacing the A/C unit (1978 Tradewind) and have some questions.

I see that someone (sorry, can't remember who) said that the only A/C today that is equipped with the drip pan to connect with the original hose is the Duo Therm Low Profile Penguin.

Question: so will all the wiring, um, match ok? (not sure the correct way to phrase that) Will it have controls on the inside (up on the ceiling) the way the Armstrong is currently in my trailer? (ie, that it doesn't need to be wired to a wall thermostat or something).

I have another question about the drain hose, but I think I'll start a different thread about that.

I won't be doing the work of replacing the A/C unit myself, but it won't be at an exclusive Airstream place, so I want to just educate myself going into it.

(And, just checking, sounds like Armstrong no longer makes RV A/C units)

Old 09-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
The Carrier AirV is also set up for a drain line. The following from an Ebay listing from a dealer in FL.

THAT'S RIGHT!!NOTHING ELSE TO BUY!! THIS NEW CARRIER COMES WITH A FULL 2 YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY!!! THIS CARRIER AIR CONDITIONER INCLUDES "TOP WHEEL" TECHNOLIGY FOR REDUCED RUNOFF,OSILATING DUCTS FOR IMPROVED AIR FLOW,EASY TO CLEAN FILTERS, TOUGH POLYMER COVER, ALL COPPER COILS..RUST RESISTANT POWDER COATED BASE PAN..EASY, DO-IT-YOURSELF INSTRUCTIONS..CALL FAMILY RV AT 727-389-0134 WITH ANY INSTALLATION QUESTIONS OR VISIT CARRIER'S WEB SITE.."CARRIER.COM" INSTALLED WT. 98lbs.. THATS 30 lbs LIGHTER THAN THE COMPETITION...NOTE!!.. MEASUREMENTS=UPPER UNIT 41x26x7.5,STD.INSIDE 25x19x2... FITS ANY 14x14 OPENING..110 VOLT..14 AMP...REMEMBER, NO SALES TAX OUTSIDE FL.. FL. RESIDENT??DON'T FRET.WE PAY 1/2 THE TAX!
THIS IS THE ALL NEW DESIGN THAT YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR..HOT OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE.. ALL CONDENSATION CAN BE DRAINED AWAY VIA HOSE.."NO BLACK STREAKS".SEE MORE TECH. INFO. AT "CARRIER.COM"..PRICE LISTED IS COMPLETE WITH COOL ONLY NON-DUCTED KIT..HEAT STRIP OR DUCTED UPGRADE

Old 09-23-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I replaced my unit with a Low Profile Carrier earlier this year. It came with the drain attachment as stated above. Adjustments do need to be made for the curved ceiling inside the trailer, but that would be the case no matter what unit you buy.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
Thanks for the great info.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Sarasota , Florida
68Overlander

Hi All,
Does anyone know if every airstream is pre-wired for an air conditioner? I have an air conditioner installed next to the fridge that was built in, not factory installed. Can I put in a roof a/c without much grief?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by By the Bay View Post
I see that someone (sorry, can't remember who) said that the only A/C today that is equipped with the drip pan to connect with the original hose is the Duo Therm Low Profile Penguin.
The Dometic does retro-fit the Colemans, but I don't know about the rough opening of other brands.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie24 View Post
Hi All,
Does anyone know if every airstream is pre-wired for an air conditioner? I have an air conditioner installed next to the fridge that was built in, not factory installed. Can I put in a roof a/c without much grief?
Looks like we have two sets of questions running in this thread.
Every Airstream built after 1963 is supposed to be pre-wired for roof a/c. It is usually not supposed to go in a vent hole, but in a separate hole. If you're lucky, you may even find a drain tube for the a/c in between the inner and outer skins.