Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California

Something to consider that I was reading in another thread (sorry but I can't remember the thread) is this:

• Remove the Drain Pan on the roof A/C and Replace it with the Dometic Auxiliary Drip Kit

Because the drain pan is totally unnecessary, is plastic and cracks, raises the A/C unit 2" higher than needed and needs tons of sealant to fit properly. Dometic makes the auxiliary drip kit for a reason; it is designed to work with their A/C roof units and is far simpler to install.

Just thought you might be interested in knowing this while you're changing units out.

sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia

I replaced my original Penguin 13.5 with the new Penguin II 15K. It was a bear to get up onto the roof by myself (110# or so), but I'd has done a good job of cooling our 34'. I am glad I made the upgrade after te old A/C died.

Craig and Carol
1997 34' Excella 1000
1970 27' Overlander, International
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
With a 28 footer 15k is a good idea. We have a Dometic Penquin low profile 13k on our 25' tradewind and it just does the job.

One downside is if you boondock you will need a big gererator. For my 13.5 I use 2 Honda eu20001 gennys. Some people say you can use one, but it did not work for me. From what I read 2 eu20001 gennys will not run a 15K.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
noisy low profile a/c

You should take the time to research the sound level between low profile and regular height. The more you compress the air in the supply plenum ,the more restriction and noise will occur. I have the new 15,000 btu unit in my 2012 FC and the air delivery sound level is much higher than the units in my 2004 classic. The design problems with a/c are always the same regardless of application and finding a system that cools during 95 degree days without high noise levels is difficult. So ask the eng.dept what they have done to achieve acceptable sound levels while suppling the required air changes per hour to maintain temp.If you are persistant,you can usually contact the right people at all the major suppliers. Good research will make you a cool customer. Sorry!

Originally Posted by tntom View Post
All your posts have made me continue to dig deeper in the replacement of my 13.5K rooftop Heat Pump with a 15K. Especially the part about the Penguin drawing less current than other 15K units. Tonight that spec table is not coming up but I think I remember the Penguin not being listed as a 15K but called high powered (or something simular). Today I talked with Dometic support and they confirmed it not to be 15K but a 13.5K unit that has been tweaked and upgraded to be more efficient. More than 13.5K output but not 15. It probably is a more efficient unit providing more cooling but I am now leaning toward the Brisk Air heat pump (459186) that is truly rated 15K. It is not considered a low profile but I can live with another one and one half inch. I am going to wait another week or so before ordering just in case something else surfaces. If not I will go with the Brisk Air unit.
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:49 AM   #19
2005 19' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
I have a 2005 30 ft Classic with the Penquin 15000 BTU model Air Conditioner/heat pump and bought a Brisk unit with manual controls can I wire to the thermostat?

kcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote