Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Replacement A/C and fridges cheap!!

I had this posted once before. The thread is no longer posted so I received a copy of part of it from one of the many AWESOME moderators.
I got a couple of good deals for you right now.
The Carrier A/C place is: Family RV Parts & Repair out of Florida, their number is: 727-389-3440. He will ship you the 13.5k BTU A/C with the lower unit and the heat strip for $508 total. The 15k BTU Carrier A/C unit complete is $568 shipped. Nothing more to buy. If you do not have A/C installed on your rig you can call Airstream and they are very helpful in telling where to cut the hole on your particular trailer. I am also going to post a STEP-BY-STEP procedure, complete with pictures, on how to modify the drain tube for the 13.5kBTU A/C unit. If you need that information beforehand PM me and I will walk you through it. It is REALLY easy and it does not take a rocket scientist to do it.
As for the source for other appliances like Dometic fridges, Atwood water heaters, stoves, ovens and water pumps the best source is Palomino Parts in Michigan. I got the Dometic RM2353 3-way fridge from them, (BRAND NEW and crated), for $385 shipped to my door. They have various fridges and the prices run from as much as 45% off to 20% off of the retail. Still a very good deal. I just bought a new range from them and it was $197.50 with the shipping. It isn't anything special; just a Suburban 17" model. Palomino's number is: 1-800-297-5830. They are really nice guys to deal with. You do need to know what you are looking for as they are a distribution center as well. Ask them, they may have what you need and cheaper than someone else.
Thanks!!!!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
No, Thank you Pattersontoo!

We've been trying to decide whether to replace the DM 60 fridge in our Safari, or have the cooling unit rebuilt:
1. Cost of a new fridge on the one hand, but on the other hand, the old fridge just smells bad, and no amount of cleaning seems to evict the odors nesting there for 30 years.
2. A new fridge with a control board that could fail within a couple years, vs. that smell.
3. Which model will fit where the old one was with minimum (by which I mean none) renovations to the trailer, vs a known quantity, albeit a bit smelly.

A new or even refurbed fridge close to the cost repairing our old one would sure make the decision easier!
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
No, Thank you Pattersontoo!

We've been trying to decide whether to replace the DM 60 fridge in our Safari, or have the cooling unit rebuilt:
1. Cost of a new fridge on the one hand, but on the other hand, the old fridge just smells bad, and no amount of cleaning seems to evict the odors nesting there for 30 years.
2. A new fridge with a control board that could fail within a couple years, vs. that smell.
3. Which model will fit where the old one was with minimum (by which I mean none) renovations to the trailer, vs a known quantity, albeit a bit smelly.

A new or even refurbed fridge close to the cost repairing our old one would sure make the decision easier!
MTPALMS,
Are you sure that it is a DM60? Or is it an RM60?
I have found an RM60 at the Domtice website as a cross reference.
Use this cross reference link to see where your refrigerator falls.
Go here: http://www.dometicusa.com/products/r...eplacement.jpg
Look yours up and then call Palomino Parts.

Lou
Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Lou,

What happened to your original post about a/c's and fridges?

Leo
It was so polluted that they had to delete it.
I was encouraged by a couple of the moderators to repost the information.
That is what I like about this forum; everyone sees worth in what we post.
I find some good in all of what I read.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
MTPALMS,
Are you sure that it is a DM60? Or is it an RM60?
I have found an RM60 at the Domtice website as a cross reference.
Use this cross reference link to see where your refrigerator falls.
Go here: http://www.dometicusa.com/products/r...eplacement.jpg
Look yours up and then call Palomino Parts.

Lou
Yeah, it is an RM60. I was at work when I posted, so I guessed on the model number, and a D for Dometic sounded darn close.
Thanx for the link.

The replacement model (RM 2510) appears to be an inch wider, otherwise the dimensions are the same. Has anyone else installed one?

My apoloigies if I am hijacking this thread. I will try Palomino for a price.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Yeah, it is an RM60. I was at work when I posted, so I guessed on the model number, and a D for Dometic sounded darn close.
Thanx for the link.

The replacement model (RM 2510) appears to be an inch wider, otherwise the dimensions are the same. Has anyone else installed one?

My apoloigies if I am hijacking this thread. I will try Palomino for a price.
My thread is your thread, buddy.
Run with it.
All I am trying to do is to help people out.
I feel good knowing that I have supplied information others are using!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
Lou,

What happened to your original post about a/c's and fridges?

Leo
Leo,
I have been assured that the pollution will not happen in this thread.
Everyone, feel free to post away.

Lou
Old 04-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Has anyone used the two sources I have posted in here?
I am just looking for some feedback so I can continue to give them the Lou's Seal of Good Stuff at a Fair Price" seal of approval!
Old 05-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Has anyone called Palomino Parts yet?
I am wanting to know how it went, you did?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Yes I Have

Okay Lou, I'll "out" myself here.

I read your original thread 2 months ago and my orig Dometic fridge in the '72 Overlander bit the dust.

I called Palomino, spoke to Brian, and got an RM2820 for $700 + shipping ($111.70 picked up at ABF terminal in Atlanta).

Since that time, I've gotten myself into another project, a '73 Sovereign center bath. I called Palomino, spoke with Jevin, and ordered another RM2820 ($800+ shipping), a Suburban WH gas/elec, a Suburban stove/oven with stainless door, and a Sealand toilet. Prices were unreal and turnaround time was pretty good. Don't know how they do it and not sure I want to know.

Just picked up my 2nd RM2820 this morning and I've been thoroughly satisfied with them. Jevin was great (so was Brian) and called me back with prices after I told him what I wanted.

There are enough items that I've had to suck it up and pay the big bucks on...I don't mind saving a few $$$ on appliances that I'll be installing myself anyway.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
Okay Lou, I'll "out" myself here.
Will all of the closet savers please stand up!
Quote:
I read your original thread 2 months ago and my orig Dometic fridge in the '72 Overlander bit the dust.
I am glad to see that the original thread still lives on if only in memory!
Quote:
I called Palomino, spoke to Brian, and got an RM2820 for $700 + shipping ($111.70 picked up at ABF terminal in Atlanta).
That is an AWESOME price, man!
Quote:
Since that time, I've gotten myself into another project, a '73 Sovereign center bath. I called Palomino, spoke with Jevin, and ordered another RM2820 ($800+ shipping), a Suburban WH gas/elec, a Suburban stove/oven with stainless door, and a Sealand toilet. Prices were unreal and turnaround time was pretty good. Don't know how they do it and not sure I want to know.
Nice project!
Palomino Parts is used as a distribution center for Forest River, Inc. They now own Palomino. They buy your fridge by the box carload. That is how they can sell it to you so cheap!
Someone in my previous thread wondered if they were scratch and dent. Mine fridge was perfect. How was all of your stuff?
What kind of prices did you pay for the other stuff you bought? Share the information here man. Let everyone know what they can do too.
Quote:
Just picked up my 2nd RM2820 this morning and I've been thoroughly satisfied with them. Jevin was great (so was Brian) and called me back with prices after I told him what I wanted.
They are both really great guys. I have dealt with them both.
Quote:
There are enough items that I've had to suck it up and pay the big bucks on...I don't mind saving a few $$$ on appliances that I'll be installing myself anyway.
There some out there that would love to keep this information from us. We have to keep threads like this active with deals.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:58 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a Dometic RM2510 refrigerator yesterday for our Tradewind from Palomino. Jevin was great, the price (at $550) was a few hundred under the next closest, and he said it would leave within 24 hours of payment for shipping to the nearest ABF terminal. We really appreciated the information; the great price was what finally swayed us to dump the apartment-style 110V-only fridge that came with the trailer.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midamrail
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a Dometic RM2510 refrigerator yesterday for our Tradewind from Palomino. Jevin was great, the price (at $550) was a few hundred under the next closest, and he said it would leave within 24 hours of payment for shipping to the nearest ABF terminal. We really appreciated the information; the great price was what finally swayed us to dump the apartment-style 110V-only fridge that came with the trailer.
Good job!
I am glad to see that all of you are using the information!
The guys at Palomino do ship the stuff fast too!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:21 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midamrail
That's a super price - and I just happen to be getting one soon - guess I'll be calling them.

Uh, what's ABF?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Mtpalms,

ABF is the trucking company Palomino uses. I don't think they'll ship to a reisdence or business (although I didn't ask) but will ship pretty economically to your nearest ABF terminal. Go to ABF.com and enter your ZIP code to find your nearest terminal; they're all over the country and should have one close to you. Good luck - we haven't gotten our RM2510 yet, but the price was too good to pass up, and I was beginning to wonder if Dometic would keep making the narrower 2510 or replace it altogether with the 2452 or whatever the newer but wider model is. The 2510 seems to be a better fit for some of the older trailers.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Thanks. It looks like the nearest center is about 80 miles away, not bad.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Thanks. It looks like the nearest center is about 80 miles away, not bad.
Cool! You will still save a ton of cash doing it this way!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:05 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

ODORS?
MTPALMS,
I had a full freezer of red meat and veggies whane I left the campground on an emergency type trip. I returned 3 weeks later with TERRIBLE, LASTING odors!!! I could not get them out-months later, they were still there despite what I used. Then, I found ODO-BAN at Sam's. I used it in the freezer and the fridge maybe 3 times in a week, and the bad smells were gone. Within another week, the ODO-BAN smaell was gone as well, and now, all IS well!
jerry
wingsofgold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:19 AM   #19
Rivet Master

I am so glad to see this thread is helping other owners find the things they need at reasonable prices.
It makes me happy that I am an active part of this online community.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Thank wingsofgold for the ODO-BAN tip.

It might come in handy someday, but my current fridge has operating issues as well: besides having a bad cooling unit, it has to be lit manually from the backside, and the electric side doesn't work. Also cracked door shelves and door stripping. All fixable, but if I can get a new 2510 for a little more than a rebuilt cooling unit (around $350 + the repair shop is in the same area as the ABF center), why heck...

Safari Tim says installation is a snap and my husband knows electrical and gas (he's a pool/spa contractor), so I have decided to call Palomino tomorrow, and see what it costs to ship to CA. Regardless of who it comes from, we're getting a new fridge.

We finally got the awning open for the first time today, it was a question of having an afternoon free to sit down with the Zip Dee instructions and a can of WD-40. It's in great shape. The PO didn't make too many 'improvements' on it - we just had to replace a giggantic rusted cotter pin with a galvanized pin. The canvas looks new, except where the pull tab came unsewn - fixed with needle and thread - so happy something works without fiddling with. :celebrates!: