Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Replacement Air Conn

Can someone tell me what unit would be the best to replace the air conn in our 76 31' sovereign? I was told coleman but I would like other opinions.

Thank you in advance
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
Can someone tell me what unit would be the best to replace the air conn in our 76 31' sovereign? I was told coleman but I would like other opinions.

Thank you in advance
You want one that has the drip pan and IIRC that would be a Carrier, AFAIK Coleman does not have the drip pan and you will have water running off the side of the trailer. Not a good thing.

I would check with an Airstream dealer for specifics. Expect to pay ~$1000 for a new unit, and I would get the 15,000 btu with heat strips.

Also check into repairing your BayBreeze it can be done by a shop that does commercial refrigeration, or possibly a vintage friendly AS dealer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I got a 13,000 Demetic Penguin. I'm not sure if they make a 15,000 but I think so. The 13,000 is too small for a 31 footer. There is a drip pan kit for this unit and heat strips. I skipped the heat strips as I just use a small ceramic heater for the same purpose. One of the reasons I got the Penguin is in my opinion the low profile looked better on my Airstream
Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Thank you all for the feedback. I do like the low profile of the Dometic.

What do you know of the air conn's with heat strips? Are they needed? We have a new furnace. Is it just one more thing to go wrong?

I think 15,000 BTU is the way for us to go....the person that told us 13,500 BTU builds Horse trailer living quarters and said a 15,000 BTU
would run all the time and freeze up on us, which doesn't make since to me...

One more thing..The pan? Does it come on the Dometic and Carrier brand? I couldn't really find that info.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Kani,

You only needed to call me.

We have a Carrier low profile unit in ours, and it works great. We have been frozen out of our trailer a few times. We really don't use the heat strip since it is noisy, and a small ceramic heater works better.

I highly recomment a unit with pan that allows you to run a drain hose through the walls of the trailer. Jack and you will need to remove a side panel and run the hose down, and out through the wheel well.

Steve
Old 04-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't know about Carrier but a pan is available for the Dometic Penguin. I did not have to take off a side panel just hooked up to the existing tubing for the old AC.

I have never used heat strips, but have been told they will take the early morning chill off but not heat the trailer.

I have had my 13,500 freeze on my 25' I wish I went 15,000
Old 06-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Need advise on A/C units: Are there any out there that can run on a 2kw generator?

I've got a '77 Sovereign with an old Coleman A/C unit. I travel with a Honda eu 2,000i Companion generator. Is there any A/C units out there that can start up and run off a single Companion?

Thanks in advance!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
My 1990 Excella has a Coleman 6798 that has a pan, The trailer also has a drain line. What do you have in yours?
Did they quit making units that drain thru the tubes in the walls?
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxAB View Post
I've got a '77 Sovereign with an old Coleman A/C unit. I travel with a Honda eu 2,000i Companion generator. Is there any A/C units out there that can start up and run off a single Companion?

Thanks in advance!
Sure is, but it wouldn't even come close to cooling your 31 foot Airstream. It wouldn't cool a Caravel 17 footer.

A 2000 watt generator cannot properly run your AC.

Sorry.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sure is, but it wouldn't even come close to cooling your 31 foot Airstream.
We have dual AC and a 6.5 gen set, split the difference and you'll know what you need.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Mike, Andy, and AirheadRus,

Thanks for the input. I figured that I'd probably need another eu2000i, but needed to run the idea by the forum to get the bottom line.

Next Question: Anyone have experience on the low profile Carrier unit, ie: operational reliability, etc. Looks like a good replacement for the old Coleman...

Thanks!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Mike, Andy, and AirheadRus,

Thanks for the input. I figured that I'd probably need another eu2000i, but needed to run the idea by the forum to get the bottom line.

Next Question: Anyone have experience on the low profile Carrier unit, ie: operational reliability, etc. Looks like a good replacement for the old Coleman...

Thanks!
Wise choice.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Kani,

You only needed to call me.

We have a Carrier low profile unit in ours, and it works great. We have been frozen out of our trailer a few times. We really don't use the heat strip since it is noisy, and a small ceramic heater works better.

I highly recomment a unit with pan that allows you to run a drain hose through the walls of the trailer. Jack and you will need to remove a side panel and run the hose down, and out through the wheel well.

Steve
That is only necessary on the pre 1968? trailers, to the best of my knowledge anything manufactured since the late 60's comes pre-wired and pre-plumbed for the AC.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-05-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I don't know about Carrier but a pan is available for the Dometic Penguin. I did not have to take off a side panel just hooked up to the existing tubing for the old AC.

I have never used heat strips, but have been told they will take the early morning chill off but not heat the trailer.

I have had my 13,500 freeze on my 25' I wish I went 15,000
I have heat strips on my popup and they do take the chill off on a cool morning, but on the AS I prefer to use a Catalytic LP heater, LP lantern or a small ceramic heater. The heat strips are okay but I wouldn't go out of my way to get them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 06-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Question

We replaced the air conn thermostat and it works great.....I hooked it up then we replaced the fridge. Jack had to remove it and after hooking it back up to the thermostat it has a black wire that is going to nothing....I had folded up the wires we were NOT using (it was for heat and air so there were extra wires) so I could recognize the ones we didn't need.
The black wire was not folded but is not hooked up. Does the black wire hook to something or did I forget to fold it?
We used the air this past weekend and it works it never shut down thou...

Thank you in advance for your help

Kani
Old 06-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Is there any A/C units out there that can start up and run off a single Companion?
I just installed a Polar Cub 9000 btu unit in my 24-ft Argosy and so far it runs great on one Honda eu2000i. It evens run fine with eco throttle which is great because if I set the thermostat something less than full cold, then the unit can cycle off and on during the night (and not freeze me to death) and I can keep the generator on eco throttle. Of course, on days in the 90's with no shade, 9000 btu is not adequate but my priority was to run something off the one generator.

The installation manuals says "IF your unit came with a drain tube..." well I guess mine didn't. I haven't found it yet anyway. So water drip drip drips all over the outside of one side of the motorhome.
Dr.Theopolis is offline   Reply With Quote