Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

I bet you won't find it cheaper than Palomino!
I do not know how they do it but they ROCK on price and delivery!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 02:22 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midamrail
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a Dometic RM2510 refrigerator yesterday for our Tradewind from Palomino. Jevin was great, the price (at $550) was a few hundred under the next closest, and he said it would leave within 24 hours of payment for shipping to the nearest ABF terminal. We really appreciated the information; the great price was what finally swayed us to dump the apartment-style 110V-only fridge that came with the trailer.
I got a 2510 from Palomino, but they charged us $600. Shipping also cost us $195, so we probably didn't save much $$$$, but we had the pleasure of dealing with people personally over the phone, instaed of an automated phone system, and they delivered it to our business within a week.

We pulled the RM 60 yesterday, and decided the floor might benefit from some sealant (we used some floor paint we had laying around). We installed the new unit this morning, and it installed easily enough, but getting the credenza back together took some grunting and squidging.

My only question is, what do most folks do for a panel? Formica? Door skin? Aluminum sheeting?

We're thrilled to have an appliance we won't have to futz with to get it to work.

Now to replace the AC... Once again, we've messed around with the Armstrong for over a year. Time for something more quiet and efficient, if not OEM
mtpalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 03:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Rebuild or replace fridge?

I have a failed Dometic Royale Series RM 3804 in my '81 motorhome. I was given the name of a rebuild company in Vallejo, CA (about an hour away from me) that could rebuild these for a fraction of replacement cost from Dometic. Now I would rather have new, and if it will be way less than retail, even if over rebuild price, I may go there. I'll keep posted in this thread.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
RM100 replacement

Hi Gang,

My '82 34 Limited is in need of a replacement reefer unit. I have the RM100 currently and I would like to know which of the available units most closely provides form/fit/function equivalence. Palamino seems to be the supplier of choice, however, I would like to talk to them with a model in mind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
You can go to Crane's refrigeration (as a subject, not www) in Vallejo, and see if they have your rebuilt model or a replacement. A repl. can be viewed at the Dometic site as in one of the above posts.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoburb
Hi Gang,

My '82 34 Limited is in need of a replacement reefer unit. I have the RM100 currently and I would like to know which of the available units most closely provides form/fit/function equivalence. Palamino seems to be the supplier of choice, however, I would like to talk to them with a model in mind.

Take care,
You can cross-reference your old fridge right from the Dometic USA site. The link below will take you right to the .jpg picture that lists all of the old Dometic reefers.

http://www.dometicusa.com/products/r...eplacement.jpg

You do have to know what you are looking for from Palomino. I consider a little research a small price to pay for saving hundreds of dollars.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
I found it!!

Hi again!

Thanks pattersontoo for the link. I had been to Dometic's site and the only cross reference I could find did not cover the RM100. Your link is perfect.

Thanks again.

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:04 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoburb
Hi Gang,

Take care,
The following post contains a link that will take you to a chart that shows what new fridge will replace an obsolete fridge. When you call Palomino, you get a person on the line who is knowlegeable and will be able to help you make an informed decision. If you can't find your model, the Dometic site also provide dimensions that might help figure out a good replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
MTPALMS,
Are you sure that it is a DM60? Or is it an RM60?
I have found an RM60 at the Domtice website as a cross reference.
Use this cross reference link to see where your refrigerator falls.
Go here: http://www.dometicusa.com/products/r...eplacement.jpg
Look yours up and then call Palomino Parts.

Lou
Old 05-23-2005, 09:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
The following post contains a link that will take you to a chart that shows what new fridge will replace an obsolete fridge. When you call Palomino, you get a person on the line who is knowlegeable and will be able to help you make an informed decision. If you can't find your model, the Dometic site also provide dimensions that might help figure out a good replacement.
MTPALMS,
Did you get your new fridge already?
Do you have it installed?
I am so glad that I found Palomino on eBay. It is the same way I found Family RV Center for the A/C units. They were not auctioning what I wanted so I emailed them and asked if they had any other models for sale. They gave me their 1-800 number and the rest is cheap DOmetic fridge history!
Old 05-23-2005, 04:25 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Yes we got it, and yes it is installed. The only hitch is that my husband doesn't want to hook up the 12 volt for the ignitor until he can put a fuse in there, and we don't happen to have one lying around. No matter, the electric side works great. We aren't going to be able to go anywhere for a couple months anyway - drat work!

Next is the A/C. I've been shopping and right now it is between ppl and Family RV, but it will be a couple months until we can get it and install it, regardless of which one we pick. I mentioned in a previous post that I didn't save all that much on the fridge. They quoted me a higher price ($50) than they did Midamrail, and frieght cost $200 because of our location, even though I had it shipped to our business.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:36 PM   #31
2 Winds

1964 24' Tradewind
1959 24' Tradewind
St. Paul , Minnesota
fridge install

This is a very excellent and helpful thread. I'm looking for a fridge for our '64 Tradewind. The Dometic RM2510 is the top runner for several reasons (in addition to the fact that another '64 Tradewind owner bought one). And Palomino does rock on prices.

What does it take to install one? Are they pretty straight forward? The exhaust vent on my trailer is missing the lower 6 inches (otherwise in great shape). I'm wondering what are the requirements for hook up - does that vent normally attach to the fridge or is it primarily a heat vent so the rising hot air finds its own way?

Looking forward to having ice.
Thanks,
Drew
2 Winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 03:23 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
I suspect your '64 has quite different cabintry than our '71, but anyway, the only real problem we encountered was a piece of metal/probably aluminum sheeting that was secured to the bottom of the credenza countertop that we simply could not get back in place without breaking the plastic reefer vent. As far as we could tell, its function (besides being a major frustration) is to deflect heat off the plastic vent. The exposed piping and heat sink on the top back of the fridge get pretty hot, and I suspect it could melt the vent or worse if allowed close contact.

We cut our own piece of metal and secured it into the place where the original should have been. It was either that or pull the unit, disassemble the cabinet, modify the offending piece, and put it all back again. Did I mention in a previous post that getting it all back together required copious grunting and squidging? So.

We did have to do some redrilling, but we didn't have to drill any new holes on the outside cabinetry. Whenever possible, we used the existing outside hole and redrilled to whatever we were securing to. This is quite a feat with with the tambour cabinet style models.

The PO of our trailer was drill and screw crazy. Thankfully he didn't make any interior 'improvements'. Every time a set screw starts coming loose on the outside, we take a moment to pull out the rivet gun and replace it with what should rightfully be there. Almost the entire rear - street side belly pan area is screwed - heh, heh - uh together. I don't know if it was a plumbing problem, or what, but it was an ugly patch job. I am very much opposed to indiscriminate hole drilling. Sometimes I look at what others have done to my baby and think, "Frankenstream".
Old 05-26-2005, 04:34 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Sir Frankenstream ...

That is what my MH is turning out to be. Anytime i open things up for a small look see or repair, I see alot of screws rather than rivets, some in areas obviously not originally rivetted! Recently I've noticed a few rivets actually working their way loose. I'm tempted to replace with screws and loctite. Haven't decided yet. Since the subject of fridges here, mine rattles around so much that I think the po "installed" it himself and didn't really secure it very well. The wall next to it shakes alot especially over bumps, and the fire extinguisher has cracked the attachment clip from the wall. I have to put a towel in the side of the wall and the fridge so that it puts enough pressure to keep it from skaking so much. If I get my RM 3804 rebuilt, I'll have it professionally replaced in it's space so that it doesn,t move or make a sound as I roll!
Old 05-26-2005, 06:26 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
When we removed the RM60, it had some small blocks and strips of wood scewed into it, and the credenza walls were screwed into the strip. Same with the countertop, but a little more complicated. We took the strips and blocks off the RM60 and attached them to the new 2510. Obviously (to you and me anyway) any appliance should be firmly secured, especially a gas appliance! So we installed the new fridge exactly like the old one had been (it was factory installed, which helped).

We've had some loose rivets, and we just replaced them with same. Even if you use loctite or something like that, I think screws will work loose from vibration, because you are putting a screw in an existing hole without so much 'bite'. Also even stainless steel screws will corrode (probably that whole dissimilar metals thing). Almost all the scews on the exterior of our coach are discolored.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:29 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Thumbs up Life span

How long will a fridge last?

Does keeping it on Help?

I was told that if possible leaving it plugged in on a low setting prologs its life span, I do and its always handy to keep extra beer cold when the house fridge is full.

Who has had a long lived fridge?
Old 05-28-2005, 02:04 PM   #36
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, campcollector,

The fridge in my Argosy is a RM75. It's been running since 1992. I had to replace a heating element shortly after I got it. The fridge in my new-to-me (3 months now) Excella is a RM100 and has been running since I got it. Of course, the heating element went out in the first week...

I think the best thing to do for them is to keep them powered and circulating. As far as I know, both fridges came with the trailers. The Argosy was made in Nov 74 and the Excella in Jan 79. By the way, an amonia cycle fridge is a DIRT simple device.
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by campcollector
How long will a fridge last?

Does keeping it on Help?

I was told that if possible leaving it plugged in on a low setting prologs its life span, I do and its always handy to keep extra beer cold when the house fridge is full.

Who has had a long lived fridge?
The fridge in my Dad's 1973 ran right up until last summer when my brother-in-law pulled it out. He replaced it with a Dometic from Palomino Parts.
It was running when he pulled it. Some of you might say he is crazy but it was starting to show its age. It was not keeping things as cold as it used to and some of the plastic was getting brittle from age and temperature extremes. I would rather replace it now instead of having it go out on me while I am camping. Plus he saved a ton of cash on the replacement.
So, to answer your question; it went 31 years before it became apparent that it was dying. Could have monkeyed around and got it recored, etc... but then it had already served my Dad and my brother-in-law well.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:16 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Carrier Low Profile

Just ordered a Carrier Low Profile 15000 BTU AC from Family Rv in Fla. Real good price. The 13500BTU is still a month out and will be limited supply. Fearful it will be too big but I can always leave the door open.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Just ordered a Carrier Low Profile 15000 BTU AC from Family Rv in Fla. Real good price. The 13500BTU is still a month out and will be limited supply. Fearful it will be too big but I can always leave the door open.
AWESOME!
I was gonna wait for the low profile but I got antsy!
Please let us know how it works. I am stoked about the Carrier Low Profile.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #40
1974 28' Argosy TT

1975 28' Argosy 28
Hinsdale , New Hampshire
Send a message via Yahoo to stinkytwinky
Red face I called them

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Has anyone called Palomino Parts yet?
I am wanting to know how it went, you did?

They are an RV Manufacturer, and they wanted $850.00 for a RM 2820 that is a direct replacement for the RM 76. $800 for a model that was 2 inches taller, and $750.00 for RM 2652 that is 2 inches shorter.

I inquired about a stove too, and found that the stove oven combo was around $250, and the drop ins were around $150 (I did not have my model and serial number handy for exact replacement so these are general numbers).

They were very friendly and helpful, and If I had the $850.00 to invest right now, I would get it from them.