Old 04-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Easy to install

For my 1966 22’ Safari, I use the setup below. Pretty simple, get a folding aluminum table from Wal-Mart/COSTCO, take out the two pins that hold the two pieces together, cut legs down to length needed, put a 90 degree clip on the end bottom of the piece that sits on the window to hold it in place, put the A/C unit on top, then put three pieces of Plexiglas around the A/C unit on the inside that can be held in place by screen clips, then take “pet screening” (the vinyl type from Lowes, doubled up) and make a cover that is held in place either by Velcro or the strong type paperclips that look like a “V”. Since a 6000/8000 BTU home unit only pulls about 640-860 watts you can use the standard wall socket (no breaker upgrade needed) to run the thing. I can pull it out of the car and install it in less that 10-15 minutes. You could run two of them(front/rear window) off a 2000 watt Honda genset, running it off of the propane in the trailer all weekend!!

It’s easy to install and cheap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC-Stand.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	79239   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	79240  

Click image for larger version

Name:	shot1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	79241  

Old 06-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
I realize it's an old thread, but I'm thinking about doing something similar, so thought I'd post...

We're getting ready to use the AS for the first time, even though it's far from finished. I ripped the ancient, rusty a/c off the roof last week, and riveted all the left-over screw holes tight this week. The main hole is currently covered with a sheet of aluminum sealed at the edges with HVAC foil tape until I decide what to do with the hole (dome skylight? roof sunbathing access? gunner's turret?).

I'm still not sure if we'll replace the roof unit, install a split, or just use nothing at all (we don't a/c much here in Colorado). However, I am thinking about a temporary "emergency a/c" option for now (and possibly the future) if we might need it.

Currently there is a gaping hole in the rear, street-side of the AS in the form of the original access panel for the water heater (which is currently not installed). I'm thinking a small window unit would fit in there nicely when we're parked behind our friend's house this July. The a/c would just sit on the floor with it's back side hanging out the hole venting heat and condensation.

Has anybody done anything like this?

kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
So sometimes you get lucky, and other times you get REALLY lucky.

I did a little research last night, and there's a unit made by Frigidaire that evidently misses the "Energy Star" seer rating by .1 points, so since it doesn't make the mark, it sells for WAY cheaper than Energy Star units (even though, for all intents and purposes it actually is Energy Star compliant). The unit is also only 15 amp (vs. 20), so it's not a lot of strain on a less than stellar electrical source. Several of the reviews I saw mention running the a/c easily with a Honda generator. Not only that, but the ratings on Amazon, Lowe's, etc. are almost all 4 or 5 stars.

It's $129 at Lowe's, so it was fairly painless to just go pick one up today. It's made for 150 sq. ft. rooms, which is about perfect for my 25' Airstream (now that I've installed all the polyisocyanurate rigid panel insulation and sealed everything up with foil tape).

But here's the kicker... the A/C is EXACTLY the same size as the hole that already exists in the side of my Airstream for the old water heater access. I mean, I doubt it would be any more perfect had I cut the hole to size just FOR the a/c. There's about 1/8" clearance on each side (or less), and a little less than an inch on top (which is actually great to let it tilt down a bit to allow condensation or rain water to run off the back instead of into the Airstream).

I plan on doing some bracing around the hole to make things a little more polished and solid, but even just setting the a/c in place without any preparation is pretty satisfactory! Score.

I'll obviously pull the unit in during travel, but once we get there it just slides into place and locks down with some clamps! Not a bad solution for "meanwhile" as we're finishing the restoration but still using the AS. I may even end up making this a more permanent solution if it turns out the unit works well in cooling the AS. I would probably create some kind of drawer-rail type system to make sliding the a/c in and out easier, and then just fabricate a hatch that can lock closed.

The size difference between the new window unit and the old rooftop unit in the photo above is pretty hilarious, especially if the little thing ends up working well.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
How much do you want for the Armstrong?

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
How much do you want for the Armstrong?
Well... I can't imagine shipping it, so you'd have to drive up to Denver. I haven't started researching how they're priced, but I do know there is a loyal following and people are always looking for parts. PM me if you want to make an offer. I can also take a closer look at it to better figure out what kind of shape it's in (haven't really gone over it; fan spins, no obvious breakage, etc., but I haven't looked closer than that). There is no shroud, and the interior head unit was gone when I purchased the Airstream.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Replace roof A/C with a window unit?

I don't care about the inside part, I want to build a spare unit to hold in reserve for when my unit breaks down.

My stock 72 unit is going strong right now, and I love it, but I spend my summers in Las Cruces, NM and even a few days will suck without a cooler...

I have people through Colorado from time to time. If you would be interested in selling for a fair price I am interested.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I have people through Colorado from time to time. If you would be interested in selling for a fair price I am interested.
Sent you a Private Message. Lemme know.