Old 08-25-2003, 06:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Mine is a 1971 and there is only one part number for all three as they are in a single unit. Only the fan portion is bad.
I would like to find an exact replacment but haven't had much luck.

Thanks for the info I may have to buy the individual caps.

garry

Old 08-25-2003, 10:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Armstrong

We are experiencing very hard starts with our Armstrong AC. We looked at our manual and it also shows these numbers as listed in the above, for capacitors. Our local SOB rv dealer has access to a large parts database online. However his search for Armstrong was negative and when he searched for the parts numbers they also turned up negative. No parts. We have not gotten any further than that, other than to take it all apart and clean everything carefully. Lots of dust and dirt care of the PO.
Hope you will keep us advised about how the new installation goes and which brand you end with.
Hope you will also keep us posted on the Armstrong Caps.
Larry and Lou

Old 08-26-2003, 07:09 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

loudruff

There is a hard start kit on the market that you can buy from your local airconditioner service company or wholsaler. The hard start kit is rated for the size of conpressor the unit has . The roof unit is normanally a 5000btu unit or 1/2 ton on a 24 to 30ft travel trailer. The hard start kit consist of a round diuleritic capicitor with two wires. You attach the two wires across the run capicator,and fasten the capicator to the condensor chassey.
Armstrong Airconditioners at one time was sold by Lock's supply.
The capicator that you are talking about normally is an oblong shape in a metel can with three terminals on it . The center terminal is common and each of the outside terminals are designated as fn-fan,ru-run . The size of the run capicator for 5000 btu is 25 mf run capicator and fan capicator is 5mf to 7.5mf cap. In addition there is a PTC start coil attached to the run and start windinding of the compressor to assest in start up.
I hope this information will clarify some . With may years of service business ,I have found that the hard start kit is a big life savor.
All for you information Blue Moon
Old 08-26-2003, 12:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

garry

I went to the Lock wholesale store in OkC. and they told me there is a store in Tulsa, and maybe Broken Arrow,Ok. Also the service person at Lock's said to go on the internet
www,armstrongair.com and there would be a contact sight to ask questions about the armstrong airconditioner. You will need the model number of the airconditioner or the capicator part numbers that (thenewkid64) gave us. I am going to Allen ,Ok. , Idle Time Trailer Mf. next Friday and will see if they have any used aircondition parts that I may have or purchase.
This information is also for:
loudruff, airstreamgreenhorn and others.
Anough said. Blue Moon
Old 08-26-2003, 01:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
AC sleuthing

Thanks for the info. We will print this off too, and wait to hear what you find out.
We appreciate all of your help!
Larry and Lou
Old 08-26-2003, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Just got back from Locke Supply in BA.
They had lots of two in one but no three in one and really never heard of a three in one. That's why I thought if the greenhorn up dated to a new unit I might be able to get his old capacitor we both have 1971 models so they should be the same.

Garry
Old 08-26-2003, 05:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
AC

Thanks for the try. We hope you will keep us posted on how the changeout for the new a/c goes.