Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Mechanicsburg , Pennsylvania
Repairing Furnace in an Ambassador

Hi.

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to remove a furnace for repair in a 29' Land Yacht Ambassador.

thx
campergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Firth , Nebraska
So , what year trailer is it? What model furnace?

On my '69 Overlander, it is fairly simple. It has a Suburban NT 22 furnace. Shut off gas supply. Shut off power to it , should be only 12 volt & turn thermostat off. Disconnect the gas at the unit. Remove the vent from the outside. Remove the Front of the furnace by unclasping the latch at the top, pull back towards you and down. Front door comes off. Then there was a screw/bolt in the lower right corner. Remove it and then the inside pulls out from the case. That leaves the case and duct work hooked up. Don't need the case out to repair it.

Good luck, Loren
69 Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Mechanicsburg , Pennsylvania
Furnace

Thanks Loren,

I was told you had to rip the entire kitchen out to get to the furnace, didnt make much sense to me. I would think if it wasnt used for many years it may just need a good cleaning.

Peggy
campergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hi and welcome

I bought new so I can't give advice on maintaining or restoring old trailers - however you'll find lots of information by using the "search" command. You may even find someone who has your same model and year.

I did recently see a post where a nearly restored trailer burned. If either your water heater or furnace are very old or are in marginal condition, I say replace them so you don't have to worry about carbon monoxide, fire hazard or the appliance crapping out in the middle of a trip. (And new ones have automatic igniters... nothing like shivering in 45 degree weather in your jammies while trying to light the furnace.)

Paula - aka "Tin Lizzie"
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg
Thanks Loren,

I was told you had to rip the entire kitchen out to get to the furnace, didnt make much sense to me. I would think if it wasnt used for many years it may just need a good cleaning.

Peggy
I took mine out last Fall. ALL the fittings had cracked and needed to be replaced. Go here and click on the small pics of the furnace to see the larger pic, if you'd like to see how mine came out.

http://www.balrgn.com/Airstream/airs...oject_2004.htm

Here is a good site that has manuals online as well.

http://bryantrv.com/docs.html
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote