Old 03-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #15
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Repaired Armstrong myself, so I have to brag!

Mine did that once. A single screw had dropped out of the main relay.

It was a 15 minute fix, after taking the interior facade off, and then the underlying cover for the electrical components, the screw dropped onto the floor giving me the hint I needed to find the problem.

Don't assume the compressor yet, there are other things that can be suspect.

Superat stultitia.

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
FYI . . .

I just finished cleaning and checking mine out. Still works fine. By far the most time-consuming part was taking the motor off. It's a GE model, shown below. (They also put Marathon and Franklin motors in during this period.) I took it to an electric motor shop to have it checked. Just fine, they said, especially the bearings and windings. There are two small plugs that cover oil-ways (one is visible here) that probably hadn't seen oil in some time, so I figure I'm lucky on the bearings. I checked with WW Grainger and they did find a new motor that would work if needed. But I'd have to cut the two shafts to length, and the cost was over $200.00. I do have the original Armstrong a/c manual, produced in typescript form (and if need be could be copied and posted here) but thorough and very helpful as I checked out the unit. It's now back on top of the Caravanner waiting for a new shroud.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arm motor.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	259194  

youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
I was assuming it's a capacitor or relay but have no idea how to check them. Any ideas?
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Mike, it shouldn't be much of an issue to check a capacitor, especially since a new one should be about $15 - $20. Just replace it.

Relays will be more of an issue, unless you're familiar with electrical troubleshooting and reading schematics.
"Between what matters and what seems to matter, how should the world we know judge wisely?" - E.C. Bentley, Trent's Last Case
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Several times my fan did not run, pulled cover inside turned fan several times, took rite off. This is a caged fan not blades, the AC is armstrong. I think it's great and works off 15 amp outlet at home and 3500 starting amps. gen. from harbor freight but can't run any thing else because maxed out for amps needed but my honda 5000 gen. will handle what ever I Want to use.

featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote