Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
Repair, Replace or Remove?

I need input! We have 1965 26' Overlander that is almost completely original inside and out. The AC unit runs, but does not get cold. So, here is my dilemma..... Do I repair it, replace it, or remove it? In 5 years, we have never needed it, mostly boondock, and am leaning towards removing it completely. Did this year originally come with an AC unit?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
GRegClick image for larger version

Name:	AirstreamSunset1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	103388

Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
IMO, remove it and re-install the vent. It may have come with AC originally(Armstrong unit), and again, IMO, I think the AC units look a bit goofy on most of the vintage units (50's and early 60's). Nice looking trailer BTW.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your input. My only other concern is how much weight, if any, can the roof hold? Or do I need to use scaffolding and stay off the roof completely, which I'm sure is the best idea...
Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
You need to be a little careful on the roof, but you can walk on it, just be sure to step on the "ribs" and not the unsupported roof skin. A scoffolding is ideal, but there are "rubbing" and bumping issues with scaffold. The AC unit itself should weigh around 90 lbs, so becareful and be sure-footed. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Repair, Replace or Remove?

Greetings Greg!

If you do decide to remove the air conditioner, and it is an Armstrong Bay Breeze, you will find that there is not a vent under the air conditioner unit. The Armstrong Baybreeze has two separate components (roof unit and interior ceiling unit) tied together by a series of tubes, etc. What this means is that you will have three comparatively small round holes under the air conditioner rather than a square opening. A vent can replace one of these units, you will need to be prepared to cut the square opening in both the roof and ceiling.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

P.S.: My vote would be to repair or replace the air condtioner, but that comes from someone who lives in the humid Midwest and must camp several days in air conditioner required territory before arriving in more moderate environs.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
No vent under there, just the small holes. Shouldn't be to dificult to cover. Any advice any that arena?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I myself do not like the looks of boxes attached to the top of vintage Airstreams... That is why you see so much effort by many to hide the air-conditioner rather than place it on the roof. You have a great looking trailer!!! SO if it was me I would remove it and replace with a vent and look to place the air some place else... The hardest part is to not mess up the trailer because you stated the trailer was mostly original!

Good Luck.... Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansenClan View Post
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your input. My only other concern is how much weight, if any, can the roof hold? Or do I need to use scaffolding and stay off the roof completely, which I'm sure is the best idea...
The roof in the area of the AC, can handle the weight of at least 2 big guys.

The AC was "NOT" installed in the place of a vent.

I would suggest that you have someone that is familiar with that TAC 110 AC, to take a look at it for you.

The typical problem with them was a relay went south. But of course, other things could have happened to it as well.

Andy
Old 05-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
No vent under there, just the small holes. Shouldn't be to dificult to cover. Any advice any that arena?
If you can lay your hands on a scrap piece of aluminum, you could rivet it on to cover the holes with Olympic rivets then shave them. Lots of Vulkem to seal around the edges to ensure no leaks, of course.

Use the Google version of the search function (in the blue bar up top) with the word "patch" in it, you'll find lots of good advice.

Like this one, for example...
Old 06-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
Thanks to everyone for their input!

So today, I crawled up there (on the roof), took the cover off and found that it is a "Summer Air Conditioner" Model: TAC-110-1 (thanks Andy, but I found your post after I got dirty). Before I start tearing this thing apart, I mean, removing it gently, does anybody know anyone in the San Diego area familiar with this model and the R22 refrigerant used in it? I'm feeling I should give'er one last chance for a simple fix....
Thanks again for all the help, input, advice, and personal thoughts....
GReg
Old 06-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I replaced the start capaciter and fan motor on my original A/C unit. I love it. Adios, John
Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
So today, I crawled up there (on the roof), took the cover off and found that it is a "Summer Air Conditioner" Model: TAC-110-1 (thanks Andy, but I found your post after I got dirty). Before I start tearing this thing apart, I mean, removing it gently, does anybody know anyone in the San Diego area familiar with this model and the R22 refrigerant used in it? I'm feeling I should give'er one last chance for a simple fix....
Thanks again for all the help, input, advice, and personal thoughts....
GReg
Greg,

R22 is available but it can be hard to find if you are not a HVAC professional. That said you can charge them with the same gauges that are used for automotive but the pressures are different. I beleive the suction side should be up in the 60's to low 70's....?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The Dometic A/C on my 2010 trailer uses R22. Any HVAC contractor can work with it, as can any commercial refrigeration contractor or any appliance repair person who works on refrigerators and the like.

It's your trailer but my opinion is that people are too quick to get rid of the old A/C units. They can almost always be fixed, sometimes for as much as the installed cost of a new unit, other times for much less. The compressor and fan motor can both be replaced if necessary.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
At the restoration rally last year we removed an ac from a 60's overlander
and I must say it was not a one man job. If you go that route find some
competent help. Two on top and one on the ground shuttling tools ect.