Old 05-27-2015, 10:03 PM   #1
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Question Removing old AC

We purchased our Airstream with two ACs. A new unit in the kitchen area, and the original unit above the folding door. We have finally decided it is time to remove our original ac. With a folding door we will need to move the new AC from its current location in the kitchen to the spot of the original AC so we will be cooling the rear of the trailer as well. First, was there a third Astrodome where my new AC is currently located? Is there anywhere selling or anyone selling the original Astrodome? Is there a market for the original AC units? Ours blows, just doesn't cool. Any help would be appreciated.

missyloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
No 'market' for the old AC. But, are you sure it isn't fixable? I fixed ours when it failed due to a rodent chewing the reversing valve wiring...

The 'astrodomes'... obsolete. Get Maxim's and quit worrying. Maxim Skylight - Hurricane, Hail and Impact Resistant Skylights

cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
No 'market' for the old AC. But, are you sure it isn't fixable? I fixed ours when it failed due to a rodent chewing the reversing valve wiring...

The 'astrodomes'... obsolete. Get Maxim's and quit worrying. Maxim Skylight - Hurricane, Hail and Impact Resistant Skylights
I am sure it is fixable, probably not much to fix either. Husband just not wanting to get into another major job on an AC like our last camper. It gave us problems every camping trip. Never heard of Maxim's. Thanks for the information. I like the look of these and the craftmanship. The reason I was looking for an "astrodome" was the new vents on the market don't match the look of an Airstream and they weren't a flimsy plastic. Thinking now I might need three new skylights!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
What is the brand and model of your original AC? I'm looking for the interior plastic cover for an Armstrong. There are people that need Armstrong parts to keep theirs going.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
The Real Chief Ding Dong

1966 28' Ambassador
Patterson , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCA View Post
What is the brand and model of your original AC? I'm looking for the interior plastic cover for an Armstrong. There are people that need Armstrong parts to keep theirs going.
No plastic parts here. All metal. Not sure of make, I have all the paperwork from when the camper was purchased new, but cant find a thing on the AC

Old 06-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
Dover , Arkansas
If you do remove the old unit, I would be willing to pick it up on my way to New Orleans this fall. I could use some spare parts for mine on my 68. Jim
Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Hartselle , Alabama
Inland Rv has the dome. Waiting on mine now.