Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #1

canmore , Alberta
Red face Removing AC from Bambi ?

Hello, thanks for any advice you can give. My 16-ft Bambi has a big AC unit on the roof. We don't use it. We don't like seeing it. And we'd like to reduce the weight of the trailer. Can it be totally removed and the holes in the roof sealed well enough to keep rain and snow out. I'd also like to get a solar panel up there instead. Maybe could use a couple of the previous holes. Skye
Skye Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
I moved my AC and was left with a hole. It was the perfect size for a Fantastic Fan which is really close fitting to the roof. If the hole left by the AC removal is standard size (I think 14x14?) you might want to go that way as it'd be much less expensive than having a new panel put in, is useful, and unobtrusive compared with the AC.
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye Nomad
Hello, thanks for any advice you can give. My 16-ft Bambi has a big AC unit on the roof. We don't use it. We don't like seeing it. And we'd like to reduce the weight of the trailer. Can it be totally removed and the holes in the roof sealed well enough to keep rain and snow out. I'd also like to get a solar panel up there instead. Maybe could use a couple of the previous holes. Skye
You might also consider a MaxxAir fan. I prefer them to the Fantastic Fan because they have an integral cover that vents out the back and sides and can be used in heavy rain without letting any water in!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
You might also consider a MaxxAir fan. I prefer them to the Fantastic Fan because they have an integral cover that vents out the back and sides and can be used in heavy rain without letting any water in!
Don't they have huge box mounted on the roof?
Something original poster wants to get rid off?
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You're thinking of the MaxxAir fan cover. The MaxxAir fan is the same height as a Fantastic Fan when closed and no more obtrusive looking. Comes in white or smoke transluscent covers, manual or automatic with remote, thermostat settings and power lid.

The best benefit is that when closed, you don't see it but when open, you can use it in even heavy rain.......something the Fantastics can't do.

I have 2 of them on my 19CCD and with one pulling air in and the other pushing out........I very rarely need air conditioning.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote