Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1983 31' International
Jasper , Georgia
Reconditioning Suburban NT17a furnace

I am in the middle of a total frame-up rebuild of a 1970 Safari Special. At the present, I am working on the original furnace. The outside of the furnace looked good, but as I disassembled it, the insides were not as good. I removed the burner and poured a couple of cups of rust out of the burner chamber. Otherwise the chamber is in good shape. I have read that this furnace was the subject of a recall for the rubber crossover tube, the one on this furnace looks like metal, possibly aluminum or galvanized. Is this the Suburban retrofit? I hooked up the bare burner to check it out first. The pilot would not light; I found the pilot tube to be corroded shut. After cleaning this tube the pilot light lit (with about a 8" flame). The flame was adjusted by means of an adjusting screw. The valve and thermocouple worked properly. The main valve clicked and worked but only very small flames at the burner. I disassembled the main burner tube and cleaned the main tube, which was also corroded closed. The main burner then worked. I assembled the burner into the cabinet and hooked up the wiring to a battery charger. The sail switch was sticky and I had to take it out and spray it with WD-40. Finally the burner fired up correctly. Now the only problem is the fan motor goes off as soon as the thermostat wires are unjoined. I guess that means a defective fan switch. I will most likely replace it and the limit switch, just to be on the safe side. By the way, I will use a CO2/ LP detector in the final installation. Where is the best place to get parts for these older Suburbans? Also, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
geodude1958 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, safari, suburban