Old 07-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #1

1970 27' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Recharged AC

I would like to get the AC recharged with refrigerant. Can this be done and if so do I just call a normal A/C guy (as in one that services a home ac) or is there some body better to contact?

Old 07-23-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Not Cool

I belive the roof AC's are sealed and cannot be recharged.

Michael

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
They can be recharged, but it is a pain to do so. Valves and ports will need to be added. If it needs recharging, that means there is a leak somewhere, that needs repair. It may be cheaper to buy a new unit at that point.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick
They can be recharged, but it is a pain to do so. Valves and ports will need to be added. If it needs recharging, that means there is a leak somewhere, that needs repair. It may be cheaper to buy a new unit at that point.
Adding the ports is not a big deal, the replacement ports consist of a pair of valves with a piercing pin, and clamp. Installation is usually around 2 minutes. The trick is finding someone willing to do it. A (very) small leak could be taken care of by recharging, but any more than that would need repair, and most A/C repair people don't want to mess with RV air.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsease
I would like to get the AC recharged with refrigerant. Can this be done and if so do I just call a normal A/C guy (as in one that services a home ac) or is there some body better to contact?
Jim,
If you have the orginal Armstrong Bay Breeze they can be worked on. Most RV shops are not going to want to work on them. I have had good luck using a commercial referigeration shop, but I know the owner and am willing to pay his hourly fee. A normal A/C guy should be able to work on it, whether they want to or not is another story. If for some reason you have one of the newer Coleman or Duo-Therm units, you might as well figure on replacing it...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsease
Not all AC guys are qualified to service your unit. It would be considered a type 1 small appliance. a type 608 certification is required. Clamp on valves are needed to remove the refrigerant. The system should be leak tested and repaired. The clamp on valves should be replaced with brazed fittings or they will leak over time. In my book it is usually a better value to replace an older unit.

steve
Old 07-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Jim,
If you have the orginal Armstrong Bay Breeze they can be worked on. Most RV shops are not going to want to work on them. I have had good luck using a commercial referigeration shop, but I know the owner and am willing to pay his hourly fee. A normal A/C guy should be able to work on it, whether they want to or not is another story. If for some reason you have one of the newer Coleman or Duo-Therm units, you might as well figure on replacing it...

Aaron
Aaron, you hit the nail right on it's head. RV places just want to sell you a new AC rather than diagnose your AC problem. When I purchased my '77 Excella 500 with Armstrong Bay Breeze AC, the PO said it was low on freon because it was not blowing cold air. I had a friend with AC experience come to the house and check the unit. It was just a little low so he topped it off. The real culprit was the 115volt to 24 volt transformer that sent a signal down to the thermostat inside the trailer and back up to the compressor. It was only showing 9 volts coming out of the transformer and 0 at the thermostat. I went to an electrical supply house, matched up the transformer, mounted it and the compressor started right off. Man that Bay Breeze could run you out of the trailer it got so cold.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Kansas City , Missouri
That transformer is available at Radio Shack for $10. It's a 10 to 25V transformer, you use the two outer leads on the 24V side, tie off the center. Alas, this fix only got my compressor problem out in the open. Anyone know who would "top up" an Armstrong on short notice near Kansas City MO? Looking for a temp fix untill I rep-lace it. My compressor labors, hammers & shuts down, barely cooling the unit. Parts available for helpful people!