Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Mechanicsburg , Pennsylvania
Rain water leaks from Air Conditioner

On the first little trip of this season, I arrived at my site and was shocked to find about a quart of water spread out on the floor. It rained all day when I was hitching up and loading but I didn't have any leaks. It also rained constantly for the 60 mile drive which is when I suspect the water came in.

I've owned this rig for two years and never had this issue before so I'm stumped as to why it leaked so suddenly after sitting outside in storage since November dry as a bone.

The only theory I have is when I replaced the tires the day before this trip, the stress of lifting the trailer my have caused some flexing which disturbed the seal on the A/C?

Has anyone else experienced something similar? After I set up camp, it continued to rain but no more water. I'm flummoxed.
nunover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
You didn't say it, but it sounds like the water was inside beneath the A/C. If so, A/C's condense water out of the air and have a pan under them to collect it, with a tube to carry it off - usually under the trailer. If the tube is clogged, the water would spill out of the pan and into your trailer if tipped (or moved), or just overflow.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Agree with Silver Hawk. We had same problem. Had to clean AC drain tube that comes out into left wheel well. Do not use air compressor, to clean.. Tubing connection might come apart in a hard to reach area. We had Mud or bugs near end.Easy to clean out for us. Your drain tube might be in another area. If tube is plugged AC drain water fills pan on roof and then flows into cabin.
Hope your have easy resolution.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Loose Nuts Sink Sales

I had a small leak around the A/C twice in 10 years. Just retighten the nuts from the inside and it stopped. Appears the seal is not sealing well or the nuts get loose. But that worked for me.
BTW: I observed water leaks from the A/C unit on a new Airstreams sitting on a dealer’s lot. The salesman wasn’t interested in cause and effect- -he was interested in sales and commissions.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Run the AC... check to see if you get water out of the 'condensate' line. If so, not likely the tubing is clogged. To verify at home, I used my shop vac...on the outside. I wrapped a rag around the condensate line to help seal the vacuum hose, just be sure to cover the condensate end.... i could see water being pulled because the rag was damp .

So, yep, I would check that the mount bolts are snug. You can see if the gasket compresses.. keep them even.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We had a leak at the AC and it was due to a crack in the plastic shroud over the outside of the unit on the roof. So that might be worth looking at if you were not running the AC so that condensate is not involved. Our crack originated at one of the shroud's mounting screws.

Tim
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
I think there is another thread on this subject. Someone found the condensate line was not connected below AC. Visible by removing inside vent cover.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote