Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSunny View Post
I have thought of ways to do the same for when I move up to the mountains. Hesitant as I may be to move to an area where it dips below 30 degrees for weeks, if not months, I am more likely to add better insulation to my flooring and look at ways to heat without added electrical draw.

My biggest apprehension, not fear, would be losing electricity for longer than a day or two. I am looking into a woof pellet stove or something similar, but I am also making sure to seal everything well and maintain my hearing sources - propane and wood heaters.

If you are dealing with 30 degrees or so I would just replace the original furnace with one that uses less electricity to operate the fan. The one that I am installing only draws 1.8 amps. Assuming that it runs about half time it would draw only 1 amp or 24 amp-hours per day. One 100 amp solar panel or a small generator should be able to keep your batteries charged just fine. No need for a wood pellet stove. Remember that new solutions have new problems.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
So the average house has an envelope of R5. What you should do is figure out what the average R factor is on your Airstream. Engineers then determine the amount of BTUs needed to heat the house at a particular temperature with an R5 factor. I think you are going to find that an AS is about an R1.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 PM   #23
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I'm just a novice at this, but does a Dometic 13,000 BTU AC unit with a heat pump generate 13,000 BTUs of heat when used as a heat pump?
And wouldn't two of these units adequately heat any size Airstream in a Minnesota winter with 50 amp service?
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:58 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Atl Bch , Florida
Dan,

Actually, I gutted my 71 AS Land Yacht Tradewind. I took out all of the original gas heater and ductwork. It wasn't in good shape.

Just like the original poster, I still have to lay flooring (which I already have), but I have been researching the insulated underlayments to use. When I am done with the flooring, then I will decide on my heat source. I am currently using an electric fireplace, but am looking at non-electric fireplaces.
SilverSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
I'm just a novice at this, but does a Dometic 13,000 BTU AC unit with a heat pump generate 13,000 BTUs of heat when used as a heat pump?

And wouldn't two of these units adequately heat any size Airstream in a Minnesota winter with 50 amp service?

Heat pumps are not to be used below 40 degrees. Will freeze up.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:45 AM   #26
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Acheron2010, short answer is no. Heat pumps can not, will not keep your interior warm when the outside temps drops below 40. Lots of data on this in houses that are far better insulated than a AS.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As others have mentioned, heat pumps are great if it's not very cold out.

R values on the walls in the trailer are one thing. The windows are all single pane so they are horrible for R value. Put a cover on them and they might get up to an R1. It depends a lot on the cover.

In a normal house, there is little heat loss through the floor. Get some wind going and that's not the case with a trailer or motor home. There's not a lot of insulation down there. Yes, you can do things with hay bales to block the air flow. Next issue there are the things that decide to live in the hay ...

Finally, there are a lot of places air can flow into a trailer that simply don't exist in a house. They are a good thing when you turn on the furnace or oven without opening a window. In the case of heat loss ... not so much. Just like the floor issue, wind speed and direction matters for them.

Lots of issues ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Minnesota Winter!!!

Radiant heat is always a good idea! If I was going to do a restoration like you are planning I would be using some sort of heated floor and do the whole floor. Be it either electric or antifreeze heated/circulated system. This will eliminate any cold spots. I also agree not using propane for the primary heat source. I would be using the Espar or Webasto heating oil/diesel fired type of interior heater. These have been used in over-the-road trucks for night time use and small ocean going yachts, heating 24/7, for years. And, I would be installing two of them. Either the 4kw one or the 6kw one. One of them running should keep you comfortable on all but coldest days. I believe these are the most dependable heaters made. Very simple and no pressurized fuel to leak, inside or to the outside. There is also a Russian made heater of this type at about half the price and has some really good reviews! From experience, if you only use a No. 1 fuel such as No. 1 heating oil which is kerosine, No. 1 diesel or Jet-A, it will require virtually no maintenance. Just my thoughts! Good Luck!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Alde

Check out the Alde system it is much more efficient and quiet.
Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #30
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
Quote:
1) Platimun Cats: These are a vented propane catalytic heater that uses very little propane and very little electricity to give you infared heating surface. No condensation or carbon monoxide to worry about.
Can you point me to specific make and model of this sort of heater, because the ones commonly seen DO cause condensation inside the vehicle and are not entirely free of Carbon Monoxide emissions.
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Without trying to build in radiant heat into the floors, a couple of these easy portable mats might be the ticket:
https://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Products...s=electric+rug
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Yes. Until the temp gets below forty degrees.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
So the average house has an envelope of R5. What you should do is figure out what the average R factor is on your Airstream. Engineers then determine the amount of BTUs needed to heat the house at a particular temperature with an R5 factor. I think you are going to find that an AS is about an R1.
Seems like code in Florida is R-19 in 2x4 stud walls. I think R5 is an error. I know my Minn relatives had more than that with 6" studs. Memory is fuzzy and I'm not about to dig out my old code and insulation books, but the AS needs more insulation, agreed.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:24 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Moose Jaw , Saskatchewan
Check out Rug Buddy.
https://cozywinters.com/shop/rug-heat.html
Just be sure to insulate your floors, we live in our motorhome from October to April in central BC Canada, no problem .

SilverSunny listed it as well.
Popcornkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:12 AM   #35
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I didn’t see anyone mentioning the AquaHot system. I don’t know much about it but I know it is used in some of the high end Class A motor homes.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:19 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
That said, the average AS has a 2"+/- wall and batt insulation that is likely R 5 insulation.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #37
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Can you point me to specific make and model of this sort of heater, because the ones commonly seen DO cause condensation inside the vehicle and are not entirely free of Carbon Monoxide emissions.
Hi

Regardless of how, the process of turning propane into heat is chemically the same. You combine oxygen with the carbon and get CO2. You combine oxygen with the hydrogen and get water. If you run low on oxygen, you get CO instead of CO2. The amount of water from a catalytic converter is the same as the amount of water from an open flame (properly adjusted) that produces the same number of BTU's of heat .... It's just basic chemistry. (Yes, the wife is a chemistry teacher so I hear this stuff a lot .... )

Bob
Old 10-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Platinum Cat is a vented catalytic heater.

http://ventedcatheater.com
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Regardless of how, the process of turning propane into heat is chemically the same. You combine oxygen with the carbon and get CO2. You combine oxygen with the hydrogen and get water. If you run low on oxygen, you get CO instead of CO2. The amount of water from a catalytic converter is the same as the amount of water from an open flame (properly adjusted) that produces the same number of BTU's of heat .... It's just basic chemistry. (Yes, the wife is a chemistry teacher so I hear this stuff a lot .... )

Bob
The trick is to vent the exhaust outside, rather than into your coach. Chemistry is the same, results are different.

I don't have personal experience with the Platinum Cat, but the principle seems reasonable.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:28 AM   #40
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
The trick is to vent the exhaust outside, rather than into your coach. Chemistry is the same, results are different.

I don't have personal experience with the Platinum Cat, but the principle seems reasonable.
Hi

A properly set up furnace of any sort gets set up to vent outside. The gotcha is that people grab portable catalytic heaters and don't vent them ....

One minor gotcha with any gas combustion process - part of the energy released is the heat that turns the water vapor into steam / humidity. The total BTU's from the process include re-condensing this water vapor back to liquid water. That's rarely what we want to do in a trailer. It leads to all sorts of nonsense when people write advertising copy .....

Bob