Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Propane smell from water heater

I keep getting a propane odor from water heater. Particularly in hot weather. Does the water heater vent any propane?
Let me know

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Heck noooooo, you have a leak, use some soapy water at the fittings and look for small bubbles and cap that sucker before she goes woof. Propane does not vent anywhere on anything, it's a sealed system.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochar3 View Post
I keep getting a propane odor from water heater. Particularly in hot weather. Does the water heater vent any propane?
Let me know
If it is having difficulty lighting, you may be smelling the propane from the unsucessful attempts. However I would certainly have a technician look at it.

A leak in the plumbing is certainly a possibility, Put some very soapy water on every joint and look for bubbles. A leak would be likely to smell more in hot weather, because the heater would run less often. The air flow from the heater running would dissapate the leaked propane.

To answer your basic question. The only gas that should be vented by a propane water heater is that which is being burned.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One other factor is that the odor may be coming when you near the end of a tank. The chemical that is in propane that creates the odor tends to get concentrated as the tank gets close to empty and will taint the surrounding air on furnace vents, stove, or water heater.

Obviously you should check for leaks if this seems to be a constant condition.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
I have done the "soapy water" thing many times and can't see a leak. Thanks for your help.
Bob

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Thanks, I have done the "Soapy water" thing many times with no apparent leaks. Will try again.
Bob

Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Are you sure its a propane smell? Atwood heaters are famous for emitting a sulfur smell from the hot water system. The cause is a deteriorating anode. An easy, cheap, replacement of the anode fixes the problem. Then run the system for a few minutes to flush out residuals. A much better problem than a propane leak.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Exclamation leaky valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochar3 View Post
I have done the "soapy water" thing many times and can't see a leak. Thanks for your help.
Bob
You could have a leaky valve for the pilot connection, don't just soap the main line connection go to every coupling including the tiny one.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
You could have a leaky valve for the pilot connection, don't just soap the main line connection go to every coupling including the tiny one.

I'm pretty sure his trailer is new enough to have electronic ignition.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote