Old 11-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
Propane Heater Won't Stay Lit

AS = 2016 FC 27 FB

After the AS has sat for several weeks, I turn on the propane tanks.
I light the propane stove to ensure that I do have propane then turn the stove off.
I turn on the propane furnace and then go outside and stand by the furnace exhaust.
Approx. five seconds later, the furnace fan comes on.
Approx. ten seconds later, the propane lights, as I now hear a rush of exhaust and feel heat in the exhaust.
That lasts approx. ten seconds and then stops (although the fan continues).
Approx. ten seconds later, that cycle repeats.
Approx. ten seconds later, the fan shuts off.
If I go back inside the AS, turn the heater/heat pump control off for approx. ten seconds, then turn the furnace on again, the whole cycle repeats.

The problem is that the propane burning won't stay on after apparently being lit and after several on & off cycles of propane burning, the heater shuts down.

Any ideas re how to keep the propane furnace on?

Richard Wills

"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I do not know how to trouble shoot the furnace. When we had a problem I called a mobile RV service. They came and pulled the furnace and worked on it in their truck that had 12 volt and propane connections. They also worked on the regulator and the gas supply line. They fixed it well. Yours may be a thermocouple, a loose connection, or a bad board. There is a thermocouple that has to be hot to keep the gas flowing. The Suburban furnace is common in the RV industry.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
My guess, based on your description:
There is an obstruction (cocoon, wasp nest, or spider web).

Anything that obstructs airflow (combustion intake/exhaust or internal air circulation) can cause the furnace to overheat, which activates an internal high temperature sensor, which causes the gas valve to close.

example>
Old 11-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have the same symptoms, but only on rainy days. I had the service department take a look at it a couple of months ago when I was having other work done in JC. They cleaned out a bunch of dirt and stuff, but could not make it fail (dry day). The unit continues to fail on rainy days. Living in Arizona, rainy days are the exception.

My thinking is that either the circuit card is failing or the flame sensor is failing. I have both parts now and will proceed next time it rains...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
mud dauber in chimney

You could have a mud dauber nest in the furnace chimney. This is easy to repair - and to remedy using a Camco screen.
rhpeahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You could have "stuff" anywhere from the air intake clear through to the top of the chimney.

You could have dirt in the burner it's self.

You could have a bum regulator ( look at the flame).

You might still have air in the line (try try again ...).

You could have a broken thermocouple / loose thermocouple lead.

You could have a broke control board.

First step (as noted above) is to clean everything out. Check the obvious stuff. Past that start playing with swapping out parts.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Does the water heater run on propane correctly?

If WH runs ok then turn on stove top burners at same time If propane system supplies those propane thirst appliances then that’s good sign for propane system.

What is the brand of furnace?
Any fault code lights on control board?
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I just cleaned out my Atwood Furnace and it was a mess. There were dirt dauber nests on the burner, the burner was full of lady bugs and the jet nozzle was full of no-see-ums and it was almost clogged. It would run but put almost no heat. It runs great now and does not smell like burnt lady bugs. I also had to replace the main gas regulator at the tanks. I was only getting about 6in of water.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
We were having problems with no heat being generated but the fan would blow cold air. There is a reset button inside the furnace area. We did that and it now works. Good luck.
DAHBABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
Pbfec

2018 25' Flying Cloud
jupiter , Florida
Propane Furnace issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
AS = 2016 FC 27 FB

After the AS has sat for several weeks, I turn on the propane tanks.
I light the propane stove to ensure that I do have propane then turn the stove off.
I turn on the propane furnace and then go outside and stand by the furnace exhaust.
Approx. five seconds later, the furnace fan comes on.
Approx. ten seconds later, the propane lights, as I now hear a rush of exhaust and feel heat in the exhaust.
That lasts approx. ten seconds and then stops (although the fan continues).
Approx. ten seconds later, that cycle repeats.
Approx. ten seconds later, the fan shuts off.
If I go back inside the AS, turn the heater/heat pump control off for approx. ten seconds, then turn the furnace on again, the whole cycle repeats.

The problem is that the propane burning won't stay on after apparently being lit and after several on & off cycles of propane burning, the heater shuts down.

Any ideas re how to keep the propane furnace on?

Richard Wills

Had same issue last summer in Michigan first time boon docking! Replaced the circuit board. Easy fix!
pbfec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I have the same symptoms, but only on rainy days. I had the service department take a look at it a couple of months ago when I was having other work done in JC. They cleaned out a bunch of dirt and stuff, but could not make it fail (dry day). The unit continues to fail on rainy days. Living in Arizona, rainy days are the exception.

My thinking is that either the circuit card is failing or the flame sensor is failing. I have both parts now and will proceed next time it rains...
A very rainy day in Dewey today. Went to the Airstream and the furnace was failing just like above. Tried the easy fix first and replace the circuit board, but the symptoms did not change. Put the original board back in.

Pulled the gas valve and replaced the igniter/flame sensor and found the old one had a very loose probe. The problem is fixed and that is the good news.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
BTU

2005 22' Interstate
Columbus , Indiana
Don’t over think it

I had virtually same symptoms. After replacing several components since my ohm meter told me the thermostat switch was good. It was the $30 thermostat. But ask the warden, I’ve been wrong before. Goo Luck.
BTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Medford , Oregon
I had a similar problem and it was the “sail” sensor. Easy fix and not very expensive. I carry a spare now.
Mustardt53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustardt53 View Post
I had a similar problem and it was the “sail” sensor. Easy fix and not very expensive. I carry a spare now.

This is the first thing that I would look at(also known as a flame sensor), these sensors can be cleaned with some fine sandpaper or green scrubby - try that to see if it helps. If not it might be bad. Something this new you will not have a thermocouple (that is what the flame or sail sensor is for. Check your exhaust/intake (like others have said) as this would also cause something like that, short of these then you look at the main board but these tend to be expensive and in my opinion they get changed out a lot of times when there is nothing wrong with them.

John

strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote