Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Propane Fireplace for Globetrotter

Has anybody ever put a propane fireplace in a small trailer. If so what make and model? I recently purchased a 1962 globetrotter and am redoing the entire interior. Lookin for ideas.
Bernie
B Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Hi Bernie, I am re-doing my 62' safari, these are some of the things I thought about for heat though I haven't yet installed my heater:

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/shop5...p?catalogid=30

there are several different heaters on that site.

I am going to install a tiny 1' square woodstove - images here:

http://www.marinestove.com/installation_views.htm

I thought for a while about this vis-a-vis safety... I want to be able to work in cold weather with solar power (my airstream will be a live-in studio) and boaters seem to have more options for heating a similar kind of space - these heaters seem to be widely used and I figure my installation will be safer than a boat... if I have a fire, the windows offer a way out. On a boat? I think I would worry more about an escape route.

Carlos Ferguson
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
Hot

Hey Bernie- We installed a free standing propane unit in our 31'. It is a home model that we picked at the local tractor supply. We have only used it to take the chill off. It really heats up the space. One problem I noticed was a condensation problem- you really needed to open a roof vent and use the fan. We also weren't really sure about the safety issues of the carbon dioxide. We have a detector, but weren't comfortable leaving it on thru the night- besides it would have gotten WAY too hot. What we liked was the cozy atmosphere it provided, and it looks cool. Oh well- lots to think about! Good luck..... Holly
silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
Also.....

I forgot to mention that our heater was vent free. That was our reason for concern about the carbon dioxide.
I am really liking the idea of a woodburner (hadn't thought about this before-thanks Carlos!), there is nothing more comfortable than wood heat. It is also very dry, which would be a great benefit.

Peace- Holly
silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Thank you all for the reply. I'll look into it.
Bernie
B Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
In a Flying Cloud

I know Patti Raimondo in our WDCU unit has installed one of those propane stoves in Pearl, her Flying Cloud. Her email is praimondo@mac.com . Give her a shout.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote