Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #57

Providence , Rhode Island
All of your appliances in your house are low pressure devices. Some people want a high pressure device because of the wind outside. The other reason people buy high pressure propane burners is you can connect it to other 3rd party things such as BBQ, lantern, deep fryer, heater, whatever, all you need is a simple extension hose. If you get a low pressure device you lose that option.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #58

Currently Looking...
Van Nuys , California
I know this thread is a tad bit old, but I'm in the process of creating a similar style firepit and have run across some issues.

Here's a quick run down on the parts I'm using:

18" fire ring
misc pipe that connects the fire ring to a quick connect hose.
The hose connects to a 3/8" - 1/4" fitting into a 1-30psi adjustable regulator, and then to the propane tank.

The main issue is just a lack of flames. I initially set it up with a standard bbq regulator, but it would only put out candle size flames from each of the holes in the fire ring.

I thought that the regulator may be constricting the amount of propane, since it's designed for bbq's, and got my hands on an adjustable regulator designed to be used with turkey fryers.

I still had small flames, until I backed off the adjustment knob all the way and then poof, big flames.

This would only last a few minutes, and the tank would make this humming/ticking sound which did not sit right with me. Plus there was a definite odor of propane in the air.

At this point, I'm really at a loss as to why this thing is not putting out the amount of flames that I've seen in some of the other members photos.

I'm terribly inexperienced when it comes to propane, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #59
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Dminor;

check out post 49, the pic on the right shows a brass mixer. This is adjustable and induces a air/fuel mixture just prior to the burners. You should be able to purchase this item wherever you got your burner.beware this mixer MUST be connected correctly. also you should be using a 40 lb. tank.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #60

2008 27' International CCD FB
2005 18' Westphalia
Bonney Lake , Washington
DIY Propane Firepit

Just another option. I bought a $50 firepit from Walmart and a 10' length of copper pipe that is used in plumbing a house and sweated my own fire ring and adapted it to a propane hose. I have approximately $100 into my firepit and it's lasted 2 years now. Here are some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dminor View Post
I know this thread is a tad bit old, but I'm in the process of creating a similar style firepit and have run across some issues.

Here's a quick run down on the parts I'm using:

18" fire ring
misc pipe that connects the fire ring to a quick connect hose.
The hose connects to a 3/8" - 1/4" fitting into a 1-30psi adjustable regulator, and then to the propane tank.

The main issue is just a lack of flames. I initially set it up with a standard bbq regulator, but it would only put out candle size flames from each of the holes in the fire ring.

I thought that the regulator may be constricting the amount of propane, since it's designed for bbq's, and got my hands on an adjustable regulator designed to be used with turkey fryers.

I still had small flames, until I backed off the adjustment knob all the way and then poof, big flames.

This would only last a few minutes, and the tank would make this humming/ticking sound which did not sit right with me. Plus there was a definite odor of propane in the air.

At this point, I'm really at a loss as to why this thing is not putting out the amount of flames that I've seen in some of the other members photos.

I'm terribly inexperienced when it comes to propane, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #61

Currently Looking...
Van Nuys , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Dminor;

check out post 49, the pic on the right shows a brass mixer. This is adjustable and induces a air/fuel mixture just prior to the burners. You should be able to purchase this item wherever you got your burner.beware this mixer MUST be connected correctly. also you should be using a 40 lb. tank.
So you're saying that the brass mixer will create the back pressure that the regulator thinks is missing?

Also, why a 40lb tank? more pressure?