Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
ha i though you were talking about brett farve! (i hear he drives a silverado... any truth to that rumor?)

john
I'm sure he can drive what ever he wants to....

I rarely see him in town, if you can call a crossroads a town. He spends most of his down south time in Hattiesburg - a college town, go figure.....

Kiln (The KILL) is a great place to live if you can get by on your own. We love it.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:30 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Cary , North Carolina
Edgestar works in '67 Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Help with an issue, Anyone used the portable AC units in their vintage AS?

I like the lines of my Caravel and DO NOT WANT TO PUT A BIG BOX ON TOP. This said, I like the comfort of an air conditioned room when sleeping. I have seen some of you use the portable AC units and have them free standing in the bathroom. How do you vent the heated exhaust and where? Does the unit cool well? What models are you using? Where did you get it? This is a short fused issue since I will be using the Caravel this weekend at Disney. I can put up with the heat but ----------- - well you know what else follows.......... . So, if you have info please post. My wife says thank you in advance.
I'm using a 10K BTU Edgestar unit ($430 internet), with a footprint of 14" square, 55 lbs.--it blocks easy access to bath room, but exhaust hose passes thru door below sink via 5" supplied + 4/12" heavy duty sprial poly hose thru a self made utility access panel I fabricated from sheet aluminum-- used while at camp site only-(maybe I should add a picture) thus no mods to original except trimming of metal shield below sink for air hose outlet. Draws < 10 amps of 110 volts, condensate hose passes thru same door (access to univolt) and into dump valve location, to ground. Will drop temp from 100 to 80 in two hours + dehumiditify, here in NC. Not ideal steping around into bath, but for my few summer trips, very do-able. A 12 or 14 K btu unit may do a faster job cooling. I will be adding insulation around the "hot" exhaust pipe, as noted in this thread, since the bath is about 6 degrees hotter than the cabin area.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:26 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Thanks for the info . . . yes, a picture would be good.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Help with an issue, Anyone used the portable AC units in their vintage AS?

I like the lines of my Caravel and DO NOT WANT TO PUT A BIG BOX ON TOP. This said, I like the comfort of an air conditioned room when sleeping. I have seen some of you use the portable AC units and have them free standing in the bathroom. How do you vent the heated exhaust and where? Does the unit cool well? What models are you using? Where did you get it? This is a short fused issue since I will be using the Caravel this weekend at Disney. I can put up with the heat but ----------- - well you know what else follows.......... . So, if you have info please post. My wife says thank you in advance.
Mike, here is a picture of our 65 Caravel with A/C setting in the shower, you remove the screen, than you take a piece of plex-glass and cut 2 opens for the air in/out, what held the screen now holds the plex-glass, open the window turn on the air, but I must say that it is a big pain to work around the unit, we give up and had Camping World install a Domteic Low profile Penguin with a Airstream made drip pan and it is great both in and out......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC-unit.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	24035  
Old 07-30-2006, 04:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
That's my idea for now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
we give up and had Camping World install a Domteic Low profile Penguin with a Airstream made drip pan and it is great both in and out......
I will do the CW install with the identical unit when the funds are available. I plan to remove the vent and trim myself so I can re-install in the future if I want. I'm an old car buff and appreciate the original look of things. Winter camping for now, the Georgia Mountains in October should be cool enough. Thanks for all your ideas, they're great.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Mixed results

I just finished testing my Supentown 12k BTU portable A/C alongside my OEM Armstrong A/C in my '72 Ambassador--in 100F Texas heat on a full-sun, crushed-rock parking spot, running on a Yamaha 3000iSEB generator. Results:

1) The generator will run one or the other, but not both. I guess I'll have to wait until I get shore power.

2) The bare exhaust tube gets quite warm and partially offsets the cooling of the SPT. I'm going to get some of that silvered Mylar bubble-foam insulation and wrap it.

3) When you are practicing water conservation, the pure water given off by the SPT unit is "harvestable" for dishwater. Not a bad thing, although I wish collecting it were easier.

4) The SPT, set up in the living room on the wall opposite the door, makes it possible to take a nap on the gaucho in the afternoon if you don't mind a little breeze. The noise is noticeable, but who cares when you're spared from dripping in sweat.

5) I think running a pedestal fan in conjunction with the Armstrong A/C would make things bearable on all but the hottest days (like today!). On those terribly hot days, if I want to occupy the living room the SPT can cool it while I wall off the bedroom and bath.

Folks, I HAVE to camp during the hottest months of the year--I'm a teacher!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:02 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Last month I started a thread called windowless AC. The unit I built is up and running in my toy hauler. As I rebuild my 64 Bambi II I will build a smaller unit.
This is not a temp or rigged solution. It is a micro mini split central AC system.
This is not a difficult or expensive system to build but it does require advance AC knowledge. It also requires some expreimenting. If you have a friend that works in AC and is EPA 608 certified you can build one. Most of the work is in getting the cosmetics right. The hard part is finding and matching all of the right components to get the system right. I will be happy to share what I have learned.
My unit is pulling down a 22 ft x 8 ft (inside space) to 68 degrees on a 95 degree day. The trailer is in the shade. Max power is 950 watts at 118 volts. It runs easily on a Honda 2000 even while on energy miser mode. The system is almost silent.

Steve
"Don't Let The Fear of Striking Out Keep You From Playing The Game"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	achobbi 002.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	24109  
Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
if you build a better mouse trap people will beat down your door to get it . . . you might want to "beef up" your door.

when you say split system I assume that means your condensing unit is outside somewhere? how big is it? what does it look like?
MarkR

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Where there's a will...

Clancy, this is a photo from a Disney forum I belong to. It was a member's campsite at Ft. Wilderness. Hope this gives you an idea. This is actually a kit that comes with the platform and shroud. The manufacturer has begun to make tents, too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tent ac1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	24117  
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
longwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
if you build a better mouse trap people will beat down your door to get it . . . you might want to "beef up" your door.

when you say split system I assume that means your condensing unit is outside somewhere? how big is it? what does it look like?
MarkR
Mark,
The ToyHauler unit is about 8k btu. The outside unit contains the compressor and condensor coils. It is about 14" tall x 16" wide x 9" thick.

The planned unit for my Bambi is only 6k btu and would be about 12" tall x 14" wide x 7" thick. It will fit behind the tanks and be dropped down in the yoke.
Again, this is not for everyone. It takes fabrication skills to do a nice custom install. It appears that many people are very talented on this list. It also takes the desire to build something special. Ditto!
6k btu probably won't be enough to cool my Bambi II sitting in full sun, but if the unit is too big it will over cool at night. The trailer will be damp and the ac will cycle on and off every 2 min. 6k btu is a good comprimise. Not quite enough at max load and a little too much at night. Because of the compact size these units blow very cold air. (45 deg.) They are also tricky to balance the charge. The net result is good drying potencial.
I will post a picture on the Windowless AC thread of the outside unit when the case is complete.
Feel free to contact me direct if you want to pursue a project of your own.
Almost as much fun as building airplanes.
Steve
Old 08-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
i paid about $129. for a 8000btu fedder at walmart. opened the kitchen window,slid the unit in.cut the screen to accommodate a/c.the screen is no big loss and easy to replace.covered the screen around a/c with contact paper to seal out draft.because of a/c central location in kitchen cooling to 75 is no problem.vent swings left for front of sovereign and right for bedroom at nite.the whole thing slides back in for traveling.im a genius and no broken windows!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
AC pictures

I got the pictures but, even after image reductions, cant get them posted because of excessive bit count...whatever.
Believe me, watch the overhang problem and go for a low profile.
RC
Speaking of AC....105 here in dry part of Texas.......I see where they are having floods today in El Paso. Lucky guys! How'd they do that?
Old 05-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #41

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Waco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26.982 amu View Post
I just finished testing my Supentown 12k BTU portable A/C alongside my OEM Armstrong A/C in my '72 Ambassador--in 100F Texas heat on a full-sun, crushed-rock parking spot, running on a Yamaha 3000iSEB generator. Results:

1) The generator will run one or the other, but not both. I guess I'll have to wait until I get shore power.

2) The bare exhaust tube gets quite warm and partially offsets the cooling of the SPT. I'm going to get some of that silvered Mylar bubble-foam insulation and wrap it.

3) When you are practicing water conservation, the pure water given off by the SPT unit is "harvestable" for dishwater. Not a bad thing, although I wish collecting it were easier.

4) The SPT, set up in the living room on the wall opposite the door, makes it possible to take a nap on the gaucho in the afternoon if you don't mind a little breeze. The noise is noticeable, but who cares when you're spared from dripping in sweat.

5) I think running a pedestal fan in conjunction with the Armstrong A/C would make things bearable on all but the hottest days (like today!). On those terribly hot days, if I want to occupy the living room the SPT can cool it while I wall off the bedroom and bath.

Folks, I HAVE to camp during the hottest months of the year--I'm a teacher!
Hi 26.982 amu,

I am also a Texan trying to ward off some of this humid heat... I'm planning on installing a portable AC under the flip up table in front of my gaucho across from the door in my 1988 excella. Where did you run the exhaust hose? I'm thinking about taking out that window, putting in plexiglass and running the hose through a hole in the center but wanted to see if there was a less invasive escape route for the hot air. Has the location and the efficiency worked out for you so far?

Amber
Old 05-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
For these types of AC's the ones that have 2 hoses work best. One hose exhausts the hot air from condenser to the outside. Other hose brings in the condenser air from the outside so you don't have to keep cooling and dehumidifying new air. You need 2 hoses as short as possible to work best.