Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
1978 28' Ambassador
Boerne , Texas
Portable A/C Heater

Has anyone tried a portable AC/Heater. It seems they would work and you can move them around. I need an AC unit and after reading all the problems with a roof mounted one I was thinking about trying a floor model.
esmaytum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The problem with most of them is that they have to pull the hot outside air in through all the leaks in the room or RV in order to cool the condenser in them. That makes them inefficient and they kind of chase their own tail. The double tube units, which take outside air through one tube and expel it through a second one are much better, but much less common. Then there is the floor space they take up, and the method of getting the air to and from the outside of the RV.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
We have used a few portable AC units. They work very well, but have to be vented outside. I have one in my office and it cools the room nicely. We have taken them to horse shows for the sleep/change room and vented them through the ceiling and it kept the room "bearable" in the summer heat - in a barn. They do have to drain the condensation someplace also. The tanks on them have to be emptied often. The best solution is to let them free drain outside.
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote