Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Palm Beach County , Florida
Pls explain the different cycles of a New Penguin Heat Pump!

Man this thing makes all kinds of sounds and seems to have a thermostatic type control... I'm sure I can research it and figure out how a heat pump works and what the particular cycles are on my new 13.5 Dometic Penguin a/c w/ heat pump, but it is much more fun to interact with other airforum members!

So that's the query... what are the different cycles in a/c and heat modes? What's that loud "fwump" sound at the end of the pump cycle without the blower?

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
They do have a vocabulary, that's for sure... There is the initial AC start up surge which you can't miss...the the fairly noisy general operation...then there are variable fans speeds...(you can set the set to low, high or auto at the thermostat)... and that "fwump" at the end when it turns off is normal...then the heat pump has it's discourse, too...thought I'm less familiar with it since we don't use it as much as the AC... It's far more noticeable in our Bambi that it would be in a larger rig like yours, I know, since there's less volume of space to absorb the sounds... In a word, they are noisy, but once you get used to it it become backgorund white noise...even at night...we sleep through it ...but really appreciate the cool (or warmth in the case of the heat pump). By the way, the heat pump is very subtle in it's heat...it is not going to totally heat the unit, but it is capable of taking off the chill... It is efficient down to the high 30 degrees, then the system should switch automatically to the furnace to take over... You'll get used to it! Really!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTimin2HI View Post
Man this thing makes all kinds of sounds and seems to have a thermostatic type control... I'm sure I can research it and figure out how a heat pump works and what the particular cycles are on my new 13.5 Dometic Penguin a/c w/ heat pump, but it is much more fun to interact with other airforum members!

So that's the query... what are the different cycles in a/c and heat modes? What's that loud "fwump" sound at the end of the pump cycle without the blower?

Thanks.
If you have the HEAT PUMP and not just the heat strips, your unit will be controlled with a wall thermostat. You have to manually shift that thermostat between A/C and heat pump. The heat pump works down to the mid 30's (F) then it will automatically shift to the propane furnace IF you have propane and your tanks are open. If you run out of propane, the heat pump will continue to try to work - and may damage itself so in cold weather CHECK your propane frequently. The furnace will pull down two 30lb tanks in less than a week - possibly in 3 days in extreme temps.

An oil filled electric heater or a small space heater is helpful inside but may not protect the pipes from freezing. Opening the cabinet doors will help.

Between 35-45 degrees, your heat pump will go through a defrost cycle between heating cycles - and it'll get cold inside. The fwump is part of the defrost cycle. When it gets a bit warmer the heat pump just cycles on and off.

Paula
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The controller for these things was designed by drunken clowns with bees in their pants.

Full coverage: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...nce-74844.html

USA Today summary for those who don't have time for television's fuller coverage: the fwump sound is caused by the reversing valve being released too early by the controller, while there's still differential pressure.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
TBy the way, the heat pump is very subtle in it's heat...it is not going to totally heat the unit, but it is capable of taking off the chill...
Makes more noise than BTUs.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Palm Beach County , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The controller for these things was designed by drunken clowns with bees in their pants.
See, that's what I was talking about... WAAAAY more fun to ask around here than search the net. (Wifey couldn't figure out why I was laughing so hard during breakfast)

Thanks ya'll, glad to now my a/c is working perfect!