Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
youngstown , Alberta
Pilot light goes out on furnance

my pilot light keeps going out when its windy out does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it....
Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I've read of this problem on other threads. The appliances were water heater tank & fridge. Some stated there was a thin steel baffle that blocked the wind from blowing out the fridge pilot while driving. You may have knocked a similar baffle loose inside the combustion chamber. Start there. Maybe one of those screens to keep the bees out of exhaust pipe might be enough to lessen the wind blow. Is the pilot light as strong as it always was? I've also read about the pilot light tubes getting blocked by spiders & their webs over while in storage.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
Tech Source

2006 22' International CCD
Pleasant Shade , Tennessee
You might want to check the thermalcupler, it is what stops the gas when the flame is gone and what has to heat up when you first light it for the flame to stay on. Some time they get bumped away from the flame to far and with a little wind will get cool enough to shut the gas off. That's what happen on my unit after a service center told me to I didn't need the $400 repair I thought was a bad unit.
mdyeargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

It could also be due to a weak pilot light, which can be adjusted on the controller. But you should check both the size and the location of the pilot in relation to the thermocoupler. Too big of a flame will just waste propane.
Good luck and welcome
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Harrah , Oklahoma
Sometimes just replacing a thermocouple all together is the quickest way to resolve any issues with a furnace not lighting or staying lit.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #6

1967 26' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
Pilot Light problems on NT-22 Furnace

The pilot light on my 67 Overlander works about 20% of the time. The rest it goes out. Have read this is a problem with NT-22 furnaces.

Also just read about the thermocouple solution.

Has anybody has experience with the NT-22. Was thinking of replacing it with an NT-30 using the NT-22 case as listed on the Airstream forum, but if the Thermocouple would work, or another similar fix, much easier and less expesinve.

Any insights from anyone?

6726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
Tech Source

2006 22' International CCD
Pleasant Shade , Tennessee
Just took my latest purchase out for the long weekend, 34' Excella, and while out had to start going over it looking for issues. found the pilot set about 3/8" from the sensor, which worked great even with the storms we had. I did recall about it being set to close, if the distance is to close the flame will not get it hot enough, this was found to be the case with the 31' I had and once moved and tighten in place it worked. This was both the solution in the 31' for the furnace and the water heater. I also had to put the wind baffel on the furnace with a screen to get the correct 'flame out' protection as I found the screen was part of the original design.
mdyeargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #8

1967 26' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
NT22 Furnace Pilot lite problems

Thanks for the responces. On the web I found an NT-22 service manual with diagnostic pilot lite trouble shooting tests on page 13.

http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Suburban...DTM%204-76.pdf

Will go through the steps and also check thermocouple spacing and other suggestions and post the results.
Thank you all again,
6726 is offline   Reply With Quote