Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Pilot goes out

Howdy,
Just started tinkering with my "new" 74 International (27ft). We brought her home last month. she is supposed to be my ham radio station but will double as our RV. The furnace pilot lights fine but when I raise the thermostat and the fan kicks in, the pilot goes out. I have tried just leaving the pilot lit for an hour or two befor fireing the thing off but it still goes out. I dont smell gas. After turning the t.stat up I dont really open up the furnace door until I note that there is no warm air coming out the register.. then I open the door and see that the pilot is out.. Hope I'm not too confoluted to get help. We really dont intend to use the furnace that much but I want it in working order. The previous owner said it was workinig the last time tjhey used it some year s ago.. Her father used a small electric space heater for some reason or another..

Lee

Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiehat View Post
Howdy,
Just started tinkering with my "new" 74 International (27ft). We brought her home last month. she is supposed to be my ham radio station but will double as our RV. The furnace pilot lights fine but when I raise the thermostat and the fan kicks in, the pilot goes out. I have tried just leaving the pilot lit for an hour or two befor fireing the thing off but it still goes out. I dont smell gas. After turning the t.stat up I dont really open up the furnace door until I note that there is no warm air coming out the register.. then I open the door and see that the pilot is out.. Hope I'm not too confoluted to get help. We really dont intend to use the furnace that much but I want it in working order. The previous owner said it was workinig the last time tjhey used it some year s ago.. Her father used a small electric space heater for some reason or another..

Lee

The pilot goes out because the combustion chamber inside, is filty dirty.

Take the furnace out.

Remove the burner log.

The combustion chamber is "S" shaped.

Tap on it, "gently" with a hammer.

Then twist and turn the combustion chamber to dump all the dirt out.

You may need new furnace gaskets.

Reinstall and it should be ok.

If not, a small adjustment of the pilot light might be necessary, because the "oriface" may be a little dirty too.

All furnaces collect outside dirt, unless it's never been used.

Andy

Old 04-26-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Monument , Colorado
I'm having the same problem on my 74' tradewind. Pilot is fine but goes out when I turn up t-stat, blower is fine, have full LP bottles. It worked last month but periodically won't fire. There is a screw adjustment on a coupler of the gas line and I have it opened up pretty far. Should I screw it back to where it was? Just had service on it recently.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Monument , Colorado
Andy,
Another thing I noticed is there is no rubber boot on the exhaust where it meets the outside wall. Should there be one? Need your advice!
Old 04-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeflash View Post
Andy,
Another thing I noticed is there is no rubber boot on the exhaust where it meets the outside wall. Should there be one? Need your advice!
When the furnace was serviced, did they remove the furnace? Or did they stick an air hose into the air intake.

If they did not remove the furnace, then it "WAS NOT" service correctly. Suburban furnaces, because of their design, pick up considerable dust, dirt, and even bugs.

Your describing a dirty combustion chamber, and a pilot light oriface that's partly clogged up.

The rubber boot "MUST" be in place, as it stops carbon monoxide from entering the inside of the trailer.

Sounds to me that you need to get your money back from that service company.

For any shop, that services Suburban furnaces, that let it go out of the shop, with that gasket missing, should be sued, BIG TIME.

You could very easily, be killed from it, and no, I am not kidding.

Andy
Old 04-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Monument , Colorado
Thanks Andy,The AS didn't have a rubber boot on the exhaust when I brought it in, just on the intake side. Know where I can get on?Pilot seems to be working fine though. How do "I" service the furnace, pilot oriface and burner log?Thanks for the response.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy,The AS didn't have a rubber boot on the exhaust when I brought it in, just on the intake side. Know where I can get on?Pilot seems to be working fine though. How do "I" service the furnace, pilot oriface and burner log?Thanks for the response.
Originally, the exhaust had an asbestos rope gasket around it. That was later discontinued. As long as the exhaust sleeve is engaged by at least 1/2 inch or more, your ok.

I would suggest that you purchase a "Service manual" for your Airstream

They are not that expensive, and the first time you need it, like with your furnace, your money ahead of the game.

The manual gives you step by step instructions on most everything about your Airstream.

Andy
Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Monument , Colorado
The furnace is pushed up against the outside wall as tight as I can get it. It's within 1/2" but still a small gap. Should I get some some rope gasket or hi-temp caulk to fill the void?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Monument , Colorado
BTW I have a hard copy service manual and have scanned it into .PDF form also for those on the forum who may want a copy. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
The furnace is pushed up against the outside wall as tight as I can get it. It's within 1/2" but still a small gap. Should I get some some rope gasket or hi-temp caulk to fill the void?
Adding the rope gasket, certainly would help the furnace exhaust, and make you feel better as well.

Andy
Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
youngstown , Alberta
pilot light blows out in high wind

Can anyone out there tell me is going on with my furnance we took it out camping this weekend and it was windy and the pilot light kept blowing out....
Old 06-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie2 View Post
Can anyone out there tell me is going on with my furnance we took it out camping this weekend and it was windy and the pilot light kept blowing out....
Unless the furnacehas been serviced within the last few years, it"s more than likely full of rust and dirt.

The furnace should be removed, disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, reassembled with new gaskets, bench testes along with adjusting the pilot light.

The furnace problem you mention, is very common.

Only one fix. PM.

Andy